Top Shelf Aquatics

dferrari13

UPDATE: Most Recent FTS 11/12/19

Screenshot_20191214-083010_Gallery.jpg

(***The following description was back in July 2015)

Hey guys so I've had my nuvo fusion for about 4 months now (3/15/15 start date), and things look pretty good so far from what I can tell. (Besides a Cyano problem, a little bit of bubble algae, and my nano tunze ATO flood malfunction) I work as an electrician during the day (11 years now) and a fish hobbyist at night. I have been into fishkeeping for over 10 years now and I've always wanted a nice nano salt tank. So about 4 months ago I decided to upgrade my small crappy 5 gallon salt tank to a nice AIO. I chose the nuvo fusion and I am VERY happy with it so far, here's what I'm working with....

Setup: (current as if 3/17/18)

-Innovative marine nuvo Fusion 10 gallon

-Kessil a160we (with gooseneck and 90 degree attachment... with the spectral controller)

-Tunze Silence 1073.008 pump (used as an upgrade rather than using the weak stock pump)

-Hydor Koralia 425 (powerhead)

-Hydor Koralia Smart Wave (powerhead controller)

-Tunze Osmolator Nano (ATO)

2.2 gallon kalkwasser mix

-IM Spin Stream attachment

-IM Ghost skimmer (protein skimmer)

-Finnex 50 watt titanium heater

-Cobalt neo therm 50 watt back up heat

-Tunze Mini pump 5024.040_A (very nice tiny poverhead type pump for caves or bottom flow)

-Power center by coralife (makes things so much easier to unplug...it's like my power controller center)

-Custom caddy with chemi-pure blue nano, purgen and phosguard

-10 lbs of live sand

-8Lbs of dry rock

Livestock: (Livestock has been updated as of 3/17/18)

Tail spot blenny 1

Barnacle blenny 2

Royal Gramma 1

false clown 1

dwarf zebra hermits 5

turbo snails 2

blue legged hermit 1

nassarius snails 2

cleaner shrimp1

Corals: (corals have been updated as of 3/17/18)

zoas

acans

blasto

palys

hammer

candy cane

duncan

Favia

Ricorida mushrooms

Yuma mushroom

Rhodactis mushroom

Gsp

Montiporas

Screenshot_20191214-083010_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Looking good. I am thinking about getting back in the hobby for my 4 year old daughter. I left it before she was born and she wants a Nemo now Lol . I was going to buy a jbj 8 Gallon rimless on Craigslist but the guys who was selling it seems weird and has been putting in off. IM 10 looks much better. I might pull the trigger on this one.

awesome....this tank has been great so far and IM has great customer service. And the tank alone is only 100 bucks....they also sell a package that comes with a light which works ok if you wanna grow softies or maybe some LPS coral...that runs 199....i personally fell in love with coral so now I'm upgrading my light...FYI

The light that come comes with the package is ok for fish only tanks and some coral...but if your planning to go hardcore into corals iI would just order the tank only and get a kessil or nano box LED....like I said ...I got the package and I'm now upgrading to a kessil

The aquascaping isnt the best i've seen for this tank and, everyone I see with this tank usually picks a very tall volcano shaped rock ...but after doing some research I decided to keep the rock work low so that I have some room for corals to grow upward. Also this gave me the cave effect i wanted

On a side note...it appears that I'm growing green coraline algae, which is cool....just can't wait until the purple takes hold

I like it a lot....its a little touchy to fine tune....but once you find the sweet spot it works really good...very quiet after it finally breaks in. And from what I've read...its hard to fit any other skimmer into that chamber....but mine has been skimming great for about 3 months straight now

Now if I can just get some cerith snails to eat up my cyno problem I'd be happy.....anyone know anything else to get rid of cyno? I've read that sometimes in the beginning of a tanks life cyan naturally comes and then goes...is this true? My light is only on for 8 hours a day and its not even very powerful...and i do not over feed and my phosphates are always 0 nitrites 0 ammonia 0

Anyone who as a mp10 on this tank, where did you position it? Any what setting are you using,pictures would be awesome. I tried putting it directly in the middle on the side but with this tank it sticks out and that's all I can seem to look at, I went farthrr back and it looks a lot better but it's creating a sand storm in the corner even on the level 3 setting.

I don't personally have the mp10...but from what I've heard it can't go over a 3 otherwise it kicks up too much sand...I don't really like the mp10 cause there's not much flexability with the aiming of it...it pretty much just shoots straight which I don't like...I can direct mine better but its much bigger....the mp10 is a space saver but I think your pretty much stuck on centering it

Anyone who as a mp10 on this tank, where did you position it? Any what setting are you using,pictures would be awesome. I tried putting it directly in the middle on the side but with this tank it sticks out and that's all I can seem to look at, I went farthrr back and it looks a lot better but it's creating a sand storm in the corner even on the level 3 setting.

I have the Nuvo16, which is basically the same tank. I positioned my MP10 on the left side about half way down towards the back wall. I run lagoon mode at about 40-50 % and don't have a problem at all. I like to crank it up right before I do my water change to help stir stuff up making it easier to suck it all out.

Cleaner shrimp and atomic zoa

I had to cut out an aqua clear sponge pad to make a protector for my power head....just in case my lettuce slug decides to take a walk.....does anyone actually sell these protectors for the hydor 240 powerhead? I'd like to find one in black

Just waking up

post-87096-0-91788000-1438039421_thumb.jpg

post-87096-0-19121800-1438039781_thumb.jpg

Just from looking at my setup...I'm thinking that I might have to move some corals down lower into the tank when I upgrade to the Nano Box or Kessil...Does anyone agree?

New Yellow Polyp Colony....I kept them on a separate island of rock so they don't get out of control like xenias do.

Hopefully they don't get too over grown

post-87096-0-88679800-1438113577_thumb.jpg

post-87096-0-78212700-1438113764_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Moved some things around.....lost the clam...and my birds nest isn't doing so great..but besides that things are going ok. The tank is still very young...only 10 months old...updated picture coming

• 2 weeks later...

I like the look of your tank.

What is that covering your powerhead on the back wall?

Also be carefull with those yellow polyps. I have mine separated from my other rocks yet they've still manage to migrate across my tank.

• Like 1
  • dferrari13 changed the title to Drew's 10 Gallon Softie Tank