Coral Vue Hydros

Christmas Tree Worm Rock!!!

szesteve

I finally managed to get my hands on what I really love most!!!

There were 2 pieces of this rock at my LFS and I got the one with the single red christmas tree worm. The other piece had lotsa blue but no red.

On closer inspection when i got home, I realised that each individual christmas tree worm is unique! I sure hope I can keep these guys alive!

It was priced for 56 canadian but i got it for 50.

I'm pretty sure i could get it for probably less from other suppliers but so far they're the only ones who have it.

I'm probably gonna get another rock with more colors from another person around my area.

Originally posted by just dave

That "rock" is a Porites sp. coral and it appears to still be alive judging by the color though the polyps are retracted.

So that is good right?

Originally posted by szesteve

So that is good right?

I think so but I would place it to get more light and good water flow.

Christmas Tree "rocks" don't generally fare too well. This is mainly due to collection and handling. The part with the worms is usually chiselled out of a larger head (which frequently dies, too). Once the porites section with the Christmas Tree worms dies, the worms are soon to follow as they are dependent on the porites in some manner.

Good luck with it.

Thanks everyone. Does it need very strong lighting?

I've got quite a bit of light going and am worried they may not like too much light right at the top.

all i have to say is thats the best x-mas tree rock ive ever seen

so many colors and so many worms

the ones ive seen usually have maybe 5 at most

congrats and hope they live

mike

Hey Steve, that CTW Rock looks very sweet. Did you get it from BA's? 2 weeks ago i went there for buying some small chunks of LR. There was a very small piece in one of their LR tanks having a nice worm on it and i wanted to buy that piece. One of the employes took it out but unfortunately the other one noticed that it was a CTW rock and put it in a coral tank :( It wasnt even 1/2 lb it would be nice buying a CTW rock for 4 bucks without knowingly.

Kadir

okay i have some experience with x-mas worms

do not worry to much if your tank has been running for more than 3 months and you have decent light they will do fine i have had mine for over a year

i got mine on sale becouse most of the porites had died but a few polyps survived and are spreading they are filter feeders that can benifit from small addititions of phyto...

nice rocks the orange worms are rare too. enjoy

i have not had babies yet but i have had where they grow there tunnels faster than can be covered with the porites...

i lost 1 or 2 when i first got the rock but i have not lost any since there is probably 10-12 on my rock.. i was hoping that they would spread but it hasn't happened yet

Wow, that is fantastic! I have never seen a rock like that with so many diff colors. I have to have one now. Please keep us posted as to its success.

Thanks,

Chris

Originally posted by xcajx

Wow, that is fantastic! I have never seen a rock like that with so many diff colors. I have to have one now. Please keep us posted as to its success.

Thanks,

Chris

Thank you. I counted approximately 20 worms... They seem pretty happy now. I sure hope they'll flourish! :)

Archived