Innovative Marine Aquariums

Is this a pistol shrimp or a mantis

4Runner2003

4Runner2003

DSC01623.JPG

What kind of shrimp is this? This is a hitch hiker. I also found out that I have 2 of these, one smaller and has a much smaller claw

4Runner2003
Originally posted by DragonReef

um it seens you have two males and a female i think

Why do you think I have 2 males and a female? I know I have seen 2 of them, but not 3 yet. Does this mean I may have more coming on the way B) If I am, who wants the babies ;)

4Runner2003
Originally posted by Tballa

I do! I do! I do! I'm not sure why DragonReef thinks you have 2 males and a female. If you do get babies, hook me up!

You got it. I was just looking at the tank and I did see a couple of tiny looking clear shrimp things crawling on my rock. I saw 3 but they flew into the rock... Who knows. I need to research and see if I really do have a male and a female and if they will breed in my tank. I did see them fighting one time..... not too sure what that is about be the 2 shrimp usually are pretty close to each other. If I see one of them, the other is somewhere close by.

4Runner2003

I was lucky I guess. I know what rock it came from too. It was a small (2lb) at most and I paid like 7 bucks for it. What blows my mind is I broke the rock too and never saw these guys. You would think that being hit with a hammer would have made them come out ;) I only got the rock because there were 2 spots I wanted to fill up. I only wish these guys would come out like my red "Fire" shrimp. This shrimp is spoiled. He likes to be hand fed and expects it to. If I put my hand in the tank to adjust a rock, here he comes and walks on my hand and taps me...grrrrrr then I give him a piece of food and he'l just sit there on my hand eating away.

4Runner2003

For the moon lights, I went to Pep Boy's and bough the blue LED (I think they were for the windshield washer sprayer) for 9 bucks. They had adhesive on the back so they were easy to place. Then went to Radio Shack and got a 12V adapter to hook the LED's too. It looks really cool at night, you can't see a whole lot, but the effect it gives is great. I probably should have stuck them closer to the front than I did so it would give off more light there. But it projects the water movement on the wall which is relaxing at night to see. And of course, you can see the pistol shrimp come out too.

This was an easy mod and it really looks great at night.

Archived