Coral Vue Hydros

Brad's Natural Reef | Powered by NanoBox | Pics pg 24

brad908

I've never had issues with chromis or anthias in the past. My chromis in the past would always be found dead inside the tank, but never on the floor. And when I had anthias in that old 36x18x18 they were fine topless.

I have an idea though for a custom top.

Well I would play it safe if possible because ive had it go both ways in the past....it sometimes depends on the individual fish.

What you have in mind?

Well I would play it safe if possible because ive had it go both ways in the past....it sometimes depends on the individual fish.

What you have in mind?

For now I will make a two piece egg crate top that fits tightly around the mangroves. Then get a custom acrylic 2 piece top made.

Can't wait to see pictures of the new livestock!

Same, hopefully be here tomorrow or Wednesday. I also have a couple new macro algae's coming this week.

I returned late last after being gone since Tuesday and the tank looked great. Clean and clear. Always a relief to come back from being away and the tank hasn't blown up.

• Like 2

Need.....moooooar.....peeeecccturesss.

Later this week. Going to do a big water change tonight to get ready for the new fish. Once the new fish and macro's arrive, I will take a bunch.

I lied.

Mangroves are doing just fine under LED. And I've only been running them at 45%. Aluminum wire came last week so I can start shaping the branches.

groves%201130_zpsswfablgy.jpg

groves%201130%202_zpsvtz4o321.jpg

• Like 2

Looking really good Brad, lovely work. Are you thinking of adding a bit more sand? Looks a bit sparse in parts.

Thanks. Yea I bought 10 pounds of Fiji pink to add on top of the Bahamas Oolite. Also tried repositioning the powerheads since they've been blowing the sand everywhere and making those sand less spots.

Work in progress? Looks perfect to me ;)

Is that green macro in the back Halimeda? I doubt it but I don't have a better guess. Looks good though!

Thanks! It is halimeda, one of my favorites.
  • Like 2

Thanks. Yea I bought 10 pounds of Fiji pink to add on top of the Bahamas Oolite. Also tried repositioning the powerheads.

Thanks! It is halimeda, one of my favorites.

Oh! Thought the blades were too small to be halimeda. Just checked the dims, forgot how big this tank was :P

Thanks. Yea I bought 10 pounds of Fiji pink to add on top of the Bahamas Oolite. Also tried repositioning the powerheads since they've been blowing the sand everywhere and making those sand less spots.

Ah fair enough. Some additional sand depth really will look good. I'm going to use a really fine sand in my new build and can definitely see a sand storm being an issue when trying to dial in the pumps.

Mikeymikemike

Ah fair enough. Some additional sand depth really will look good. I'm going to use a really fine sand in my new build and can definitely see a sand storm being an issue when trying to dial in the pumps.

Out of all the substrates available, I found fine crushed aragonite to be the the best looking and a good balance between weight and size. It wont get blown around and its not big enough to trap detritus in gaps. You may want to consider this option

• Like 1

Out of all the substrates available, I found fine crushed aragonite to be the the best looking and a good balance between weight and size. It wont get blown around and its not big enough to trap detritus in gaps. You may want to consider this option

I have a 30KG bag of the very same sitting in garage at the moment. I used 2-3mm crushed aragonite in my current tank and found that the larger particle size trapped much more junk. I agree, I think the finer grain looks much better and has less chance to trap the larger pieces of gunk. I do have concerns that with by planned turnover that there will be some sand being blown around at first.

So what are the basic "Mangroves for dummies" instructions? Acclimate to salinity, keep well lit, squirt leaves with fresh water once a week?

Pretty much. All about the lighting. I also have mine planted in live mud, not sure if that really made a difference or not.

Giga grows his outside in freshwater so they grow faster, then acclimates them to saltwater.

• Like 2

I am loving the looks of your tank! What are the new macros on order if I can ask with out spoiling the surprise?

Thanks! These are all the macros that will be in the tank by the end of the week :

Caulerpa Prolifera

Halimeda Opuntia

Botryocladia

Hypnea Pannosa

Coralline Clusters

Corky Finger

Tan Spiny

Tan Candelabra

Purple Ribbon

Purple Candelabra

Rusty Spiny

Padina

• Like 2

Thanks! These are all the macros that will be in the tank by the end of the week :

Caulerpa Prolifera

Halimeda Opuntia

Botryocladia

Hypnea Pannosa

Coralline Clusters

Corky Finger

Tan Spiny

Tan Candelabra

Purple Ribbon

Purple Candelabra

Rusty Spiny

Padina

Those will be awesome additions to your tank.

Caulerpa Prolifera

Halimeda Opuntia

Botryocladia

Hypnea Pannosa

Coralline Clusters

Corky Finger

Tan Spiny

Tan Candelabra

Purple Ribbon

Purple Candelabra

Rusty Spiny

Padina

best part about the order... prices are completely reasonable lol. lookin forward to seein some stuff i havn't seen in a display before.