Cultivated Reef

Filter Film a problem?

NanoreefERguy

NanoreefERguy

I am having a problem with film in the back fliteration compartments of my tank. A layer of film is setting on the top of the water. It usually keeps out of the main tank but if I dont clean it for a week of so it will start to show up on the top of the main tank area. I have a JBJ 12 gal Nano and I removed all of the filteration media (Carbon and Sponges) from the back and replaced them with live rock which BTW works very well for removing Nitrates. I was thinking about taking rock out of the first compartment (there are 3) and putting a small powerhead in there just to disturb the surface. Is this film harmful, I know its annoying and smelly after a while! Any other suggestions? Thanks.

-Scott

They are lilkey DOC (Dissolved Organic Compounds), i.e., crap. If you disturb the surface, you can get rid of the film, but the DOCs are still floating around in your tank! My tank gets filmy too; I just skim as much off the top as I can each water change.

NanoreefERguy

Cool, thanx! Im thinking about biulding a skimmer or refugium, refugium might be easier but I'd need pumps and a good design.

There's also the paper towel skimmer method, which many others including myself use. I have a PH blowing water against the surface from below, but even that doesn't keep the film from accumulating.

Just take a sheet of paper towel and place it on the water surface. Let is soak for a second, then remove quickly and voila! No more film!

Personally, I'm waiting for AquaC to get the Nano Remora out.

Archived