Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

clams and sps under pc's

abernier

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm considering a clam in my tank, but I don't know if I have enough light.

My tank has a 70w 10000K MH, 1 40w PC actinic, and 1 32w PC actinic, but the tank is 18" tall. I don't know if the clam would get enough light on the sand bed.

i have a 10 gallon and have various montipora's, and a T.Maxima,along with many other corals, one including a bright yellow scroal. There is a Dual 65 Watt CoralLife PC on it. I am about to get some Acros and see if they do well.

250 if you think you can control the heat.

I'm not 100% sure that there's a huge heat difference between the 250w'r and the 175'r.

is it to much heat? i was thinknig of getting a fans that clips on the back of the canopy to reduce as much heat as possible. are the retro's hard to put to gether? im only 15 and don't know much about electricity.(and niether does my dad)

I don't know how much heat a 250 will create.

I know this tho...

I made a steel lid for my tank, out of 16 guage steel. I mounted a 175w MH in it, along with a reflector. I used one of those digital thermometers for cooking, and stuck the probe right under the MH Lamp. Temp got to 127 degrees, on a hot day, with no fan. If I don't run a fan over my sump, temps can get into the mid 80's low 90's (on a really hot day) It's just something to be careful with is all. I'd hate to see someone spend all that money on a bad ass light unit, and not even be able to use it cause their tank overheats too much.

does anyone else have anthing on the amount of heat that the 250 will give off? is to to much, because i have seen 20 longs with 250w on it. is there that much of a heat issue.

There's people who put a 400w over a 20.. I guess it all depends on the setup, ambient temperature, all that kinda stuff.

Get it. and keep sticking fans on it until you get the temp down far enough, or have to get a chiller.

I don't think anyone has an exact answer for you. There are many other factors to consider:

how far way is the light?

how hot/cool is it in the room?

any fans already?

etc etc.

I don't know of anyone that runs hailde without fans, of that I am certain. They are hot. I am sorry, that I cannot be more precise for you. I hate to say it, but you probably won't know what it will do to the tank temp until you set it up. If it is too hot even with fans then you get into more complex situations involving chillers.

With 175 I am sure you would be fine with fans and/or raising the light. I don't think you need 250.

HTH,

Chris

myfisharemean

Just remember the fans, I had one on top of my ten hex, and it took my tank down 5 degrees, by it just fanning 2" above the surface, and I have a heater too, so they will solve the heat problem, and the retros shouldn't be hard, get wire nuts if worst-come-to-worst and you don't wanna solder or heatshrink, I use wire nuts, because I'm too tigt getting my tank set-up, lol, but they shouldn't be that hard.

Originally posted by abernier

anyone else know about the difficulty of putting the retro together

your going to get many different answers as everyone skill level is different. imo, retro-fitting is a piece of cake! i can do it blindfolded :P

I agree with De and everyone else for the most part. You can keep clams and SPS under PC lighting, but they won't be as healthy. a 70W Mh like DRZL has suggested is great for a tank your size and its not terribly expensive. I bought my 150W MHs HQIs for under $250. You just need to shop around, even check on Ebay or Craigslist. You find good deals there. SPS grows way faster with MHs. Check out the specs on my tank. PM me if you need more info.

Archived