Cultivated Reef

clams and sps under pc's

abernier

i was looking at new ligthing and i cant decide to go ahead and spend the extra 100 and get mhor go with pc's. i would like to hear all the success stories about people keping clams and sps under pc lighting. if you could post pictures it would be apreciated.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed with de...save yourself the extra cost and hassle of upgrading later and get metal halides. Then again..I'd never consider setting up a reef without halides...

Cheers,

Fred

Originally posted by FAC_WNY

Agreed with de...save yourself the extra cost and hassle of upgrading later and get metal halides.  Then again..I'd never consider setting up a reef without halides...

Cheers,  

Fred

I like your style... haha

Originally posted by FAC_WNY

In the works: 15 gallon nano, 400w XM 10kK, 10 gallon sump, Mag 9.5 return through SCWD & 2 X 3/4" returns, custom hood/stand, BP 2R Skimmer

How much pc were you looking at getting? What species are you interested in? Certain species of clams and SPS can be kept with great success under pc lighting.

Personally, since you have a nanocube I would worry about Cal, Alk, growth (especially with clams), and evaporation caused by greater lighting

a 2x65 watt on a 20 long is what i was going to do and i dont really know alot about the different type of clams yett butt i am going to research about them any suggseestions on types that would yourk under ps's

don't know about the clams (i can't get one cuz of my angelfish) but i got some birds nest that is growin well in a 20 long w 2 65 watt pcs. don't know about other species but you might be able to keep some of the hardier sps ( birds nest, P. damicornis, monti cap..)

I have a monti, 2 different yellow/green acros, and a hydnophora that are thriving under my 96w quad. Can't say about clams but SPS can definately do well under PCs. The guy i got the acros from had MH and were bleached. After going in my tank they have taken off. This is most likely due to the guy not keeping parameters in check, but its still impressive to me

derasa, squamosa, and mayby hippos can be kept under PCs but can get BIG. I kept a derasa under 72W of pcs in an 18gallon and it was growing well. I'm going to sell it though before it gets too much larger. it's about 4"-5" now but I want it to go into a more pernament home before it gets too big to travel well.

below is a good thread

clam in a 6 gallon

clambo under 88 watts pc... I bowl feed which is why I believe it does so well.

If I had the choice, I would still go with MH tho.

ninhsavestheday

yeah go MH! youll might be able to keep stuff under pc but itll look better under MH. but sometimes people tend to forget that the key to keeping a successful sps/clams is water quality.

xien2000corp

i agree with the waiting and saving up for mh. you will be much happier in the long run, trust us. :) pc's can only go so far but with mh it opens up the entirety of animals able to be kept in your aquarium.

hth, steve

how many watts of MH would you suggesest over a 20 long?

are there any inexpensive already made MH systums, or would it be cheaper to go with a retro fit?

DRZL-sauras

I have a 70w ushio 10k and i like it...its really birght and not too big to cause alot of heat...and i can keep it near the surface of my water about 6 in..i hate the look of super tall hoods they remind me of those hats the buckingham palace guards wear....or when a light is super strong so they hang it 18 inches away....what the hell was the point of that?...also if you get one center it and the corners can be for softies and lower light corals

just my ching ching

Bowl feeding: take the clam out and put it in a bowl of SW. Feed a heavy dose of phyto etc and wait for a while. Then put the clam back.

myfisharemean

I don't know, but that's a lot of light i think, I like PC's, go to Drs. foster and smith and live chat with someone there about it, lol, they seem to know their stuff.

yup tylernt summed it up. You know it is feeding b/c the water clears. Takes a few attempts, but once the clam gets used to it, it pumps away and you know it is getting its nutrients.

so if i get pc's and i do bowl feeding and put the clam near the top it would do good? how much phytoplankton would i need to put in one bowl and how often?

that's a good question abernier...i wanna know the answer too!

do clams know when to stop eating? or is it possible to "overfeed" a clam...?

Archived