Top Shelf Aquatics

Loudish fan on my Nano Box Mini?

SonRK

Just installed it on my tank after adjusting goose neck attachment.

Took out the 4 screws and took out the sides and used Dust Off to get rid of any dust and such that may have went inside. It just seems unusually loud. Granted there's no water / pumps / etc going on yet so nothing masks the sound.

Clean the fan instructions from here: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/345789-anyone-tried-to-clean-the-fan-on-their-mini-tide/

Attached the light (second set of pins) to the bluefish controller this way: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/360002-bluefish-mini-hook-up/

That's funny I just had the same thing happen to mine starting yesterday . It isn't constant though. It gets loud for a minute then quiets down shortly after.

Strange. I know it would be hard to check but can look and see if one of the wires under the fan ( this will be part of it ) is rubbing it?

-Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I tightened the screws on the splash guard a turn or so and like magic its quiet again. It hasn't started buzzing like before at all.

Update: I tightened the screws on the splash guard a turn or so and like magic its quiet again. It hasn't started buzzing like before at all.

Awesome! I am curious that over time the screws barely loosening causing vibrations...

Thanks for posting this, I am going to see if I can recreate this!

-Dave

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...
SnowflakeDreamer

i Know this is an old thread but I just bought the same light second hand from a seller here. Everything works great but the fan is making the same loud noise. I tried to tighten the screws on the splash guard but did nothing.  I didnt have a can of compressed air but will try with a friends air tank for his air nail gun.  I saw a thread about a software update for the fan but the dropbox link is no longer active. I am not sure how old it is but the fan noise is the same as in the OP's video. When I put my hand over the grates on the top it mutes the sound but that clearly is a bad idea and restricts the air vents. Any other answers besides tightening screws?  

The fan runs even when the lights are out so I know its older than the update fan thread that is in this forum.  Thanks.

23 hours ago, SnowflakeDreamer said:

i Know this is an old thread but I just bought the same light second hand from a seller here. Everything works great but the fan is making the same loud noise. I tried to tighten the screws on the splash guard but did nothing.  I didnt have a can of compressed air but will try with a friends air tank for his air nail gun.  I saw a thread about a software update for the fan but the dropbox link is no longer active. I am not sure how old it is but the fan noise is the same as in the OP's video. When I put my hand over the grates on the top it mutes the sound but that clearly is a bad idea and restricts the air vents. Any other answers besides tightening screws?  

The fan runs even when the lights are out so I know its older than the update fan thread that is in this forum.  Thanks.

If the unit is old, the fan likely is too. I replaced a fan on a unit I bought and it hasn't been an issue. I bought a random small fan on ebay (they list measurements) and removed the square box on the outside of it and stuck it on with just a tab of glue (not too much in case I need to replace again in the future). 

SnowflakeDreamer
55 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

If the unit is old, the fan likely is too. I replaced a fan on a unit I bought and it hasn't been an issue. I bought a random small fan on ebay (they list measurements) and removed the square box on the outside of it and stuck it on with just a tab of glue (not too much in case I need to replace again in the future). 

Thanks! I will look into it. I got a can of compressed air to try in the morning to remove some dust. Would hate to tear it apart and tinker but if it has to be done it has to be done ha. Thanks for the advice.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to Loudish fan on my Nano Box Mini?