Coral Vue Hydros

Ad's Tackle Box

Admonition

Thanks :) I've had the fusion since it came out and I love it, definitely a great tank. I'm excited to start filling'er up with corals again. Any recommendations for online stores you guys have used with positive results? I've only ever used World Wide Corals and Tidal Gardens.

• Like 1

So although I went without algae for the entire cycling process it only took five days with the lights on to bring me the gift of cyano lol. I have a small rust discoloration on one spot in the sand bed and rust colored dots randomly across the rocks. These 'rust spots' blow away when I hit them with the turkey baster so I'm thinking cyano and not coralline algae. Hopefully this is just 'new tank syndrome' and will pass. All my parameters are in check and I believe I have decent flow with the spins streams and MP10.

So the sand exploded with the stuff and then disappeared for the most part. Parameters are all looking great and holding fine. I can't remember if I mentioned it before but I clumsily dropped my kryptonite candy cane colony (11 heads from the original 2) and it broke into three frags lol. This happened about a month ago, and I subsequently now have three nice frags of it. That being said they're doing great in the tank since the transfer. And so are my fish.

I'm still on the fence about getting clowns. I love them but I'm concerned that they'll host one of my LPS (or planned LPS) and damage the corals. Hm....

• Like 1

WWC and tidal garden are both great I have orders some Cornbred corals off of eBay and he has some pretty amazing corals and some good deals also a great seller IMO, you can always look at the sponsors page and look through some of their corals they have

Yeah both of those venders have great pieces. I actually just placed an order for some corals from Tidal Gardens :) And I love the eBay auctions from WWC as its a chance to pick up their stuff at more reasonable prices, sometimes lol.

On a side note about fish, I just ran across the Whitespotted Pygmy Filefish thread in the Fish section and wow. I love the look of this fish and I'm seriously debating it as an option!

• Like 1

So my new additions include a Red Rock Flower Anemone, Green Helmet Fungi Plate, Neon Green Plating Montipora, Pink Bird's Nest, Green Eye Cyphastrea, Yellow Bird's Nest, and Midnight Princess Favites. They've been in the tank almost two weeks acclimating and are doing great. I went ahead and glued down the bird's nests and monitipora, as well as placing the favia on the rock. I also finally glued down my Kryptonite Candy canes (which have been in the frag rack for a few weeks). The helmet fungi is doing well on the sand bed in the far side of the tank, I love that little guy! The Anemone is on the far end of the rock work and moved very slightly since its addition almost two weeks ago, while my green RFA from the other tank decided that the -back- of the rock work is where he wants to be <_<

I'll have pictures up as soon as I can convince my wife to take out her DSLR and take pictures lol.

So the wife took the pictures with her DSLR and now I'm just waiting for her to have the time to clean them up (get rid of that dark shade of purple light that takes over the pictures) and upload them for me. In the meantime I took some quick iPhone pictures that doesn't do my new additions justice but I wanted photos up. The candy cane corals in the picture are two of my three frags after I dropped the mother colony a few months ago like an idiot lol.

22255643623_c274234d77_c.jpg

22255643253_e39eb44622_c.jpg

22688794150_260d021de8_c.jpg

On a side note, the wife and I just adopted a dog from our local rescue! He's a gorgeous hound/pointer/mix. He's a one year old puppy we've named Louie and he's a goofball.

22688791940_89b3ec9dde_c.jpg

22255645033_b4da6b5a8c_c.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been way too long since my last update and a lot has gone into the tank. I plan to write up a proper post about everything (with a proper photograph from my wife's DSLR camera), but for now here's a quick photo from my iPhone :)

23838610344_2dc52202df_c.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

So a lot has gone on with the tank since my last real update, mainly because work and such has really kept me busy. I've had a bunch of new additions from Tidal Gardens as well as some really awesome pieces I've picked up from local reefers- which is always the best stuff in my opinion. These new additions include a three headed frag of frogspawn from SouthFlorida_Tron’s basketball sized mother colony; montipora spongodes, montipora setosa, plating montipora, lobophyllia, and a frag of green leptoseris from WhiskyTango; and a green helmet fungia plate, neon green favia, bird of paradise, and red rock flower anemone from Tidal Gardens.

As far as fish go I picked up a spunky little snowflake clown fish and a pretty cool looking firefish. Unfortunately though, as of this morning the firefish died and his almost completely eaten body was discovered sticking out of the sandbed :( Here are a bunch of pictures to help bring this tread up to speed:

24009788633_e43865135e_z.jpg

24009787323_1f29b91084_z.jpg

24554384721_cb4469581c_z.jpg

24554383631_dd1a0b4358_z.jpg

24009782553_0422735e7e_z.jpg

24610393766_15a1548515_z.jpg

24268843289_477da6c264_z.jpg

24636573095_ee822273df_z.jpg

24009773423_ba16043276_z.jpg

24341023320_b71ed1d346_z.jpg

• Like 1

So I'm still toying with the idea of a BTA. I know they can move around, but I'm wondering if I get a piece of live rock and put it in the open area of the tank on the right side, creating its own island, maybe it'll stay put? Idk. I'm also thinking I might remove the spin streams and replace them with the original heads pointed up, and then set the MP10 to reef crest. Right now the spin streams push water basically in front of the corals (the angle makes it so the water flows past them and not over them). But because the spin streams spin they break up my MP10, stopping it from actually reaching the other side. So this causes dramatic water movement on the right side of the tank and calm dead spots on the left side.

So I've been having issues with my pH probe lately. It's nearing its Neptunes Systems life expectancy of two years (1.5 years), but I'm getting unusual data. My pH is usually 7.7-7.9 due to high CO2 in my house, but it's always steady. Lately however, it's been giving me crazy readings like 7.3 low and 7.7 high, but my corals all look great. They're all fully open with extended polyps as usual.

At the same time I've had my LFS test my water and they gave me a reading of 7.8 by Red Sea kit when my probe gave me 7.6 at home. I have also done tests with API and the results are always 0.2-0.4 higher than the probe reading.

So naturally I assume the probe is off and recalibrate it. But it still gives me those wonky readings. I subsequently tested the probe by sticking it in 7.01 and 10.01 solutions and the probe reads 6.99 and 9.98 respectively, which is very close to 'true' value.

Any thoughts on what the heck is going on? Lol

Okay so I ordered two other test kits (Elos and Salifert). In addition to my API kit I plan to use all three kits and see what those readings are in comparison to each other and my probe. I just can't believe that my pH sudden dropped to 7.3-7.4 out of nowhere, especially after my chemical kits are reading my expected 7.8.

Anywho, I'll find out Friday when the kits get here.

Okay so the data is in and it makes me think I need a new probe. It should be noted that due to the insanely cold weather here in florida, we had our windows open over the last few days. This caused the probe to start reading 7.95 and 7.68 high/low due to the circulation of fresh oxygen into the house. As for the details of everything, my probe is a 1.5 year old Neptune Systems lab grade pH probe attached to my Apex, which is up to date on its software. The kits I used were:

API (expiration 10/17)

Salifert (expiration 7/18)

Elos (expiration 2/17)

Milwaukee 10.01 solution (expiration 1/20)

Milwaukee 7.01 solution (expiration 10/19)

Yesterday, 02/07/16, I tested my water around 3pm with the above kits twice and received following readings:

API: 8.2 and 8.2

Elos: 8.3 and 8.3

Salifert: 8.0 and 8.0

Probe: 7.90

The above probe was also tested against the 7.01/10.01 Milwaukee solutions (which were floated in the tank water for twenty minutes) and gave a reading of 6.98 and 10.00.

Today, 02/08/16, I tested my water around 10am with the above kits twice and received the following readings:

API: 7.9 and 7.9 (it looked between the 7.8 and 8.0 colors)

Elos: 8.1 and 8.1

Salifert: 8.0 and 8.0

Probe: 7.68

The above probe was also tested against the 7.01/10.01 Milwaukee solutions (which were floated in the tank water for twenty minutes) and gave a reading of 7.00 and 10.00.

Looking at the data from yesterday I'd say the numbers were split between the API/Elos and Salifert/Probe readings. The data from today leans more toward the three kits averaging 8.0 with the probe far off at 7.68. To me it would seem that the probe may have reached its two year life expectancy early and I'll have to purchase a new probe. The only thing that I can't understand is why the probe would give me such drastically unusual readings all of a sudden but still measure out almost perfect in the Milwaukee calibration solutions. Bleh. I subsequently posted this in the Water Chemistry section for help, but if anyone is ghost watching my thread feel free to respond here ;)

• Like 1

Worrying about pH doesn't help. Unless you're seeing issues from the pH levels and fluctuations, I wouldn't do anything to change stuff.

How is that cute puppy Louie?

I agree and I don't normally chase pH. My issue here is more of me trying to determine if my probe is malfunctioning or not because I don't understand how it could give accurate readings in its solution packet but be so far off of its normal reading as well as compared to chemical test kits. A 7.3 pH is harmful long term from my understanding, so I think I went a little crazy trying to confirm that my pH wasn't so drastically low =p I think given my chemical tests that the probe is faulty, especially because my corals and fish are looking just as happy as ever.

And the puppy is doing great! We want to do a blood test on him to figure out what he is a mixture of. Ironically enough we found a puppy for adoption at a nearby rescue who looks -exactly- like Louie and they have him listed as a hound/vizsla mix, which is exactly what we thought Louie might be. We're gonna look into a blood test in the future just for our own curiosity lol. Here's some pictures of him being his usual goofy self

24902049785_fe2deb53ef_c.jpg

24534434719_fbf91e4f93_c.jpg

24275129713_ecc9dc7418_c.jpg

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

I can't believe it's been nine months since my last post in my build thread. Time really does fly by.

The tank has been doing well since my last update. The SPS have really grown and even started branching into each other. I even fragged a few pieces for some friends.

Most recently my wife and I purchased our first home so the last two months have been crazy. After removing all the wall paper we ended up doing more work to the house than we expected. And as of last Saturday we officially moved in! Which means the tank had to be moved too. Luckily my brother-in-law helped me out and the transition went well. The fish are happy and adjusted well to the move, as did the corals.

That being said, I'm going to have to retire the Fusion 30L. Based off of the way my wife wants to design/decorate the house we can't fit the three foot long tank in my designated tank spot lol. I thought about a lot of different options but ultimately decided on the Fusion 40 as it wasn't a shallow tank, it fit my space, and it was less than $300 shipped with the Black Friday discount from MD. One day I'll convince her to give up more space but for now I'm happy with the 40 gallon :)

That being said, the new tank comes this Tuesday and I can't wait! I ended up going with CaribSea Special Grade Reef sand as opposed to the figi pink I've had before. I'm also seriously considering using brand new RC dry rock. I'm concerned that my old live rock has a lot of phosphates stored up from an algae bloom I just mostly got under control, not to mention any random critters that made it into the tank when I added that piece of live rock that huge monti was encrusted on. Idk, still debating.

Anywho, I just wanted to do a quick update. I'm going to continue in this thread with the new setup and I'll post pictures soon of the build.

So my tank arrived from Marine Depot today, and what I thought would be excitement was only disappointment. I've ordered a lot of stuff from them over the years and I've never had an issue before but the guy in their warehouse who packaged my order was having a seriously bad day. The box that my aquarium had been placed in arrived at my door with both bottoms crushed in and the box's seams torn. There was NO markings anywhere on the package denoting 'fragile' or glass' or 'handle with care'. There wasn't even an arrow indicator for 'this side up'. Then, after opening the shipping box, there wasn't even any padding or bubble wrap inside- just two, three foot sheets of folded brown paper that was now squished flat. Ugh.

Nervous about the aquarium but having to go to work, I opened the box to do a quick check of the contents. I subsequently found the pump on the floor of the display tank with its bottom cover dislodged and loose in the rear chamber. A check of the pump itself showed that it had subsequently cracked in transport :( So much for setting this tank up tomorrow. Because of the weight of the tank and my need to get dressed for work, I didn't get a chance to check it for cracks, but I'll be doing that tomorrow.

I then received my second of three packages, which should have contained two bags of sand, two boxes of salt, coral dip, and three MP10 covers. Sadly, this box was worse off than the previous. This box was 'secured' with a single piece of packaging tape placed down the top and bottom flap seams. Obviously the weight of the contents was more than that tape could hold and my package arrived with the top flap half open due to the tape failing. This brings me to my next disappointment- the box was missing my coral dip and MP-10 covers -.-

I then went to work only to have my wife tell me my last box arrived (the aquarium stand). Except this wasn't even boxed by Marine Depot. The actual Innovative Marine product box for the stand was shipped as is with a UPS sticker slapped on the front. Although I wasn't able to actually check the stand (still at work) the box itself looked crushed in at the corners and obviously has me worried.

I don't know what happened on the shipping floor but damn.

Luckily I'm off from work tomorrow so I plan to fully examine the tank and stand and confirm if anything else is broken. And then I'll have to call Marine Depot about the broken and missing items. I've always had great customer service from them in the past, which is why I primarily buy all my equipment from them, so hopefully they can help me resolve this. But I gotta say, I'm disappointed about the whole thing.

I loved the way your present tank had been progressing and I am sure you will do great with the 40 gallon too. Sorry to hear about the packaging shipping fiasco. :-( I am sure MD will do right by you however. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

• Like 1

So my tank arrived from Marine Depot today, and what I thought would be excitement was only disappointment. I've ordered a lot of stuff from them over the years and I've never had an issue before but the guy in their warehouse who packaged my order was having a seriously bad day. The box that my aquarium had been placed in arrived at my door with both bottoms crushed in and the box's seams torn. There was NO markings anywhere on the package denoting 'fragile' or glass' or 'handle with care'. There wasn't even an arrow indicator for 'this side up'. Then, after opening the shipping box, there wasn't even any padding or bubble wrap inside- just two, three foot sheets of folded brown paper that was now squished flat. Ugh.

Nervous about the aquarium but having to go to work, I opened the box to do a quick check of the contents. I subsequently found the pump on the floor of the display tank with its bottom cover dislodged and loose in the rear chamber. A check of the pump itself showed that it had subsequently cracked in transport :( So much for setting this tank up tomorrow. Because of the weight of the tank and my need to get dressed for work, I didn't get a chance to check it for cracks, but I'll be doing that tomorrow.

I then received my second of three packages, which should have contained two bags of sand, two boxes of salt, coral dip, and three MP10 covers. Sadly, this box was worse off than the previous. This box was 'secured' with a single piece of packaging tape placed down the top and bottom flap seams. Obviously the weight of the contents was more than that tape could hold and my package arrived with the top flap half open due to the tape failing. This brings me to my next disappointment- the box was missing my coral dip and MP-10 covers -.-

I then went to work only to have my wife tell me my last box arrived (the aquarium stand). Except this wasn't even boxed by Marine Depot. The actual Innovative Marine product box for the stand was shipped as is with a UPS sticker slapped on the front. Although I wasn't able to actually check the stand (still at work) the box itself looked crushed in at the corners and obviously has me worried.

I don't know what happened on the shipping floor but damn.

Luckily I'm off from work tomorrow so I plan to fully examine the tank and stand and confirm if anything else is broken. And then I'll have to call Marine Depot about the broken and missing items. I've always had great customer service from them in the past, which is why I primarily buy all my equipment from them, so hopefully they can help me resolve this. But I gotta say, I'm disappointed about the whole thing.

We will definitely take care of you. Please accept our apologies this even occurred. If you haven't already been in touch with our customer support department, you are welcome to email me your order # and I'll have a member of our team contact you to resolve this swiftly.

Jeff @ Marine Depot

• Like 4

And then I'll have to call Marine Depot about the broken and missing items. I've always had great customer service from them in the past, which is why I primarily buy all my equipment from them, so hopefully they can help me resolve this.

I received your email and have forwarded it to a support supervisor. We will be in touch shortly! In the meantime, we would like to offer our sincere apology once again and also wish you a very happy Thanksgiving holiday! We look forward to fixing this and making you a happy hobbyist once again!

Jeff @ Marine Depot

• Like 2

I received your email and have forwarded it to a support supervisor. We will be in touch shortly! In the meantime, we would like to offer our sincere apology once again and also wish you a very happy Thanksgiving holiday! We look forward to fixing this and making you a happy hobbyist once again!

Jeff @ Marine Depot

El Jeffe to the rescue !!!!

• Like 2
  • Admonition changed the title to Ad's Tackle Box