SaltCritters.com

I found a MONSTER! Now I have a BEAST tank!

kimberbee

I got it out... well, the rock it was hiding in. But think I may have killed it trying to get it out of the rock. It's in a bucket now with some water. We'll see in the morning...

• Like 2

I say toss the rock and the bucket of water. A new piece of dry rock is a small price to pay to get that daemon out of the tank :P.

• Like 2

Well, when I got home tonight I checked on The Beast. Lo and behold, he was cruising on the bottom of the bucket so I was able to remove the rock without him in it!

19112523944_4e18b19610.jpg

Oops, he's got a boo boo where I "accidentally" stabbed him :(

19114114993_c8a187d24e.jpg

It just so happened that I had a QT set up (with AC20, heater, and a piece of PVC) hoping I'd get a new fish, and possibly hold onto my xenia till I can get rid of it. Well I also had this tall cylinder vase. So I stuck the cylinder vase in the tank, filled with water, airstone, and part of the PVC...

19547003608_2c446fac29.jpg

19112480244_f4d187c911.jpg

Voila! An isolated Beast tank!

19547028790_7906a8256a.jpg

• Like 6

The couple times I've gotten a glimpse of the one in my tank, I thought it was rather cool looking :) Not so happy about the snail killing part though!

So Kimber, what do you plan to do with the beast? Are you keeping it?

I dunno!

A not-very active new member did ask for it. But I'm hesitant to ship it across the country. I might have to keep it... Or see if someone on Craigslist wants it?

• Like 1
HarryPotter

I dunno!

A not-very active new member did ask for it. But I'm hesitant to ship it across the country. I might have to keep it... Or see if someone on Craigslist wants it?

Or trash it? I mean it was already stabbed :lol:

Murphs_Reef

OMG I am freaking out. I am going to have nightmares. I don't think I have any big snails left in my tank, I assumed hermits were eating them all...

Damn I will be nightmaring too.. That's literally insane! As if it's that big... Unreal!

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...
15 minutes ago, Clownfish king said:

I know I’m 5 years late to this thread but did you kill it? Or is the little devil still alive somewhere 

It kind of died off on it's own... but I pretty much starved it to death. I didn't have (or want to buy) a steady supply of snails for it to eat. 

• Like 1

The critter-phobia was comical in this thread.  

@kimberbee you did a great job trying to preserve it.

Since you were unwilling to feed it, my only suggestion (5 years late) would have been to send it to someone who wanted it.

• Like 2
On 4/23/2020 at 8:27 AM, kimberbee said:

It kind of died off on it's own... but I pretty much starved it to death. I didn't have (or want to buy) a steady supply of snails for it to eat. 

I know how you feel. I feel the same way when I put herbivore snails in my tanks and my nassarius go after it and eat them within minutes. Never again am I putting nassarius in any tank.

• Wow 1
3 hours ago, mcarroll said:

The critter-phobia was comical in this thread.  

@kimberbee you did a great job trying to preserve it.

Since you were unwilling to feed it, my only suggestion (5 years late) would have been to send it to someone who wanted it.

I had tried, no one local wanted it, no one else wanted to pay for shipping. 🤷‍♀️

9 minutes ago, roblox84 said:

I know how you feel. I feel the same way when I put herbivore snails in my tanks and my nassarius go after it and eat them within minutes. Never again am I putting nassarius in any tank.

Are you sure you're not accidentally getting some sort of whelk? Nassarius should only be going after already dead snails, not hunting down the live ones. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I had tried, no one local wanted it, no one else wanted to pay for shipping. 🤷‍♀️

Are you sure you're not accidentally getting some sort of whelk? Nassarius should only be going after already dead snails, not hunting down the live ones. 

That's what everyone keeps telling me but every time I put in an astrea or whatever other snail in my tank, a nassarius comes out, sucks himself onto the astrea snails opening and sits there for a long time. When I pry the nassarius off, the astreas "flap" is closed and they never come out again, even when I left the shell in the tank for weeks.

I bought a reef cleaner pack with probably 50 or so snails, big and small for my old 28 gallon and within a few days every snail besides the 4 nassarius were dead.

Just recently I tried again in my new tank I set up and the same thing happened. What are the nassarius doing and how can they be getting at my astreas when the snails retracted and closed their shell?

2 minutes ago, roblox84 said:

What are the nassarius doing and how can they be getting at my astreas when the snails retracted and closed their shell?

Whelks are predatory drillers that's how. Sorry you're having this issue. I don't know how to id whelks to be sure. 😕

• Like 3
6 hours ago, roblox84 said:

but every time I put in an astrea or whatever other snail in my tank, a nassarius comes out, sucks himself onto the astrea snails opening and sits there for a long time.

One good way to know it's NOT a Nassarius is if it attacks anything living – they are carrion scavengers like hermit crabs.

That snail has to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1