Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

I found a MONSTER! Now I have a BEAST tank!

kimberbee

I was cleaning the glass of my biocube, minding my own business when... BAM!!

19650803396_1e26f14123.jpg

19669896662_e2e4d1ea6b.jpg

OMG!!

WHAT IS THIS?!?!

It's very flat, like a tongue. Slinks around almost like a nudi, or sea hare. And it's light purple/grey.

19056073813_eec05a937b.jpg

AHHH!!!

I wanted to try to catch it after I snapped a quick pic or two.

19488985668_a1f81cefee.jpg

But it slinked away into the rockwork.

Oh god, IS IT EATING MY CORALS?!?!

• Like 2

Good news: It's not eating your corals

Bad news: It's eating your snails instead

Try to get it out of there ASAP. Also check rocks for bright green eggs

Good news: It's not eating your corals

Bad news: It's eating your snails instead

Try to get it out of there ASAP. Also check rocks for bright green eggs

WTF IS IT?!

HarryPotter

WTF IS IT?!

I found the exact same thing in my overflow box of the Nanocube at one point, I have the info (name, risks, Etc) somewhere- but it's bad.

Don't try to get it out by pulling at it- only use a siphon. The good news is that ofton there is only one in a tank- so get it out. Eats invertebrates and even some coral I believe.

I found the exact same thing in my overflow box of the Nanocube at one point, I have the info (name, risks, Etc) somewhere- but it's bad.

Don't try to get it out by pulling at it- only use a siphon. The good news is that ofton there is only one in a tank- so get it out. Eats invertebrates and even some coral I believe.

Siphon it out?!?! I think I have the teeniest siphon size there is!!

+1

They will just tear into pieces if you try to scrape it out of a rock

Most people just wait at night for it to come out and wrap around a snail, then grab it(on the snail)

OMG I am freaking out. I am going to have nightmares. I don't think I have any big snails left in my tank, I assumed hermits were eating them all...

• Like 1

OMG I am freaking out. I am going to have nightmares. I don't think I have any big snails left in my tank, I assumed hermits were eating them all...

Like Harry said, there is usually only 1 per tank. I would only be worried if you have a clam.

• Like 1

Like Harry said, there is usually only 1 per tank. I would only be worried if you have a clam.

NO clam, but it's been eating all my snails definitely.

Considering its 11pm and I have to be up at 5:30... is there anything I can do?

I do want this f***er gone sooner rather than later...

HarryPotter

Okay you honestly don't have any clear 1/2 tubing? I don't understand- how do you do water changes w/o it?

I'm trying to think of another way to catch it without ripping it to shreds, but I'm drawing a blank

I would suggest a bottle trap, if you still have any living snails

Snow_Phoenix

I agree with Yoshii - bottle trap but you could use a live snail as a sacrificial lamb @ bait for the polyclad flatworm. I think just a few months ago someone on this site had the exact same nightmare crawling around his tank. He tried using tweezers to pick it up but it was too slippery. I'll try to find his thread - I forgot what he did, but it worked and he got the little demon out of its tank.

Okay you honestly don't have any clear 1/2 tubing? I don't understand- how do you do water changes w/o it?

I'm trying to think of another way to catch it without ripping it to shreds, but I'm drawing a blank

My siphon is a small one, I guess I don't understand how I'm going to suck up something that's 2 inches wide by 4-6 inches long with a small tube that isn't even wide enough to fit my pinky... As well as catching it out in the open again...

I would suggest a bottle trap, if you still have any living snails

I have the teeny tiny ones left. It seems to have gone after my turbos and nerites.

I agree with Yoshii - bottle trap but you could use a live snail as a sacrificial lamb @ bait for the polyclad flatworm. I think just a few months ago someone on this site had the exact same nightmare crawling around his tank. He tried using tweezers to pick it up but it was too slippery. I'll try to find his thread - I forgot what he did, but it worked and he got the little demon out of its tank.

If I do a bottle trap, I'm assuming I'd have to be around. Won't it just slither out and back into the rocks if I were to leave a trap out all day like when I'm at work?

Snow_Phoenix

Found the thread:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/328218-polyclad-flatworm-battle-to-the-death/page-2

If I do a bottle trap, I'm assuming I'd have to be around. Won't it just slither out and back into the rocks if I were to leave a trap out all day like when I'm at work?

Not necessarily - do you by any chance have anyone at home that can monitor your tank? Maybe take a peek at it every hour? If yes, then the bottle trap might work. But based on the link to the thread I posted, that reefer managed to catch the flatworm actively feeding on snail and then he pulled out the rock it was crawling into. If you can get the live rock it crawled into out, then you can somehow get it out. Otherwise you'd have to keep watching the tank at night (when they're most active) to see when it's about to eat another snail.

• Like 1

Found the thread:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/328218-polyclad-flatworm-battle-to-the-death/page-2

Not necessarily - do you by any chance have anyone at home that can monitor your tank? Maybe take a peek at it every hour? If yes, then the bottle trap might work. But based on the link to the thread I posted, that reefer managed to catch the flatworm actively feeding on snail and then he pulled out the rock it was crawling into. If you can get the live rock it crawled into out, then you can somehow get it out. Otherwise you'd have to keep watching the tank at night (when they're most active) to see when it's about to eat another snail.

Unfortunately, my cat can;t help me with this one...

Actually, the upturned snail in the pic is ALIVE! I must have disturbed the flatworms meal. I really want to flip the struggling snail over, but I'm going to steak out for a bit to see if he can be lured back out...

• Like 2
Snow_Phoenix

Best of luck, Kimber! I've been secretly following your tank progress (you have an amazing tank btw :) ) and I'd hate for this little sucker to ruin it for you. Hope you can remove him pretty quickly!

Well, I see the little booger.

Hiding under the arch in the rockwork, right along the edge of the rocks and sand. I tried to siphon him out, but I was doing so pretty blindly. Then found a nice little cave that he has snuck into. Damn.

Of course, the rock is a HUGE one at the base of everything. Literally the size of a football. Otherwise, I would probably just chuck the rock he was in.

I'll try to find him again tomorrow.