Cultivated Reef

Need some advice on my first Nano Reef...

OxInYourBox

Hi all,

I got linked to here from wetwebfotos.com/talk which is were I go for my larger tanks. Getting ready to start my first and definitely not last nano-reef soon and was looking for some advice/hints.

I picked up a custom stand and canopy for a 10G tank which is what my first nano-reef will be in.

Pardon the mess as I'm moving this week so I wasn't too involved with cleaning the tank. :)

Img_0366.jpg

I'm planning on getting the 10G Reef Package from tbsaltwater.com and using the live rock and sand in the 10G tank along with some of the livestock once the system is stable etc.

For lighting I'm planning on getting the 2X36W kit from ahsupply however I don't know if I should go with their bulbs or with hellolights.com and their 6700k Day and an Actinic 03.

I'm planning on adding some beginners corals later on once the tank is nicely established so I'm pretty sure the 2X36W lighting should be enough for now :)

I also have an Amiracle SL-5 HOT wet/dry+protein skimmer that I would like to use on the back of the tank to add some more water volume and to use as a refugium (live rock, etc.-no bio balls ).

Amiracle%20SL-5.JPG

I probably won't use the skimmer after the live rock has cured fully and corals are added as weekly water changes are a fact of life for me already B)

Any ideas, hints, feedback, questions, and or flames are greatly appreciated. I'm sure I've missed something in this post...

that's a sweet setup! nice custom work for a 10g! B)

sounds like you have most of the bases covered and you've got reef experience from larger tanks before going small (better method of going nano imo).

the only thing i would suggest is some kind of topoff system or cover for the amiracle. the salinity fluctuation on these smaller systems is one of the biggest issues ime. welcome aboard!

BustytheSnowMaam

I took a peek at their 10 gallon package- IMO 20 blue-legs is too many, and I would avoid the cuke and the pistol shrimp.

Tasha

NanoReefer53

the skimmer would be benificial for the cycling process of the live rock. i too agree with tasha, 20 hermit is way too many, they'll just end up starving from competition.

printerdown01

I agree with Tashayar... 20 hermits is way too many, and ditch the cuc... The pistol shrimp is cool, but it won't do a lot of good... I would also recommend avoiding brittlestars in a nano...

Reasons: Hermits: you will need 10 max

Cuccumber: If this dies it will release toxins into the tank. In a large system this is ok, but in a nano the toxin concentration is often deadly!

Pistol: won't do much except dig one hole and eat your 'pods. 'Pod populations are a lot harder to sustain in a small system.

Brittlestars: these guys will, when given the chance, catch and eat small fish... This can be a major problem in a nano, where ALL the fish can be clasified as "small fish."

* YOUR SYSTEM LOOKS GREAT!!! You won't need extra lighting at all!! You have def set this thing up right the first time!! -NICE WORK! I can't wait to see pictures....

I also agree that 20 hermits is way too much for a 10G.

In reading over cukes and pistol shrimp I decided that they won't be part of the reef. If I do get the package I'll probably put some of the hermits and the brittlestar in my 42G Hex. I've already got a banded coral shrimp in there so the cuke, pistol, and the other hermits will probably go into a galaxy 5 with some LR and LS that will be at my office.

Does anyone have any reccomendations on bulbs? I'm debating between ahsupply and helliolights.com.

As far as additonal water current goes I believe I'll need some more as the output of the SL-5 probably won't be enough. One of my MJ1200's would probably be overkill for the tank. I was thinking about getting an MJ400, two mini jets 404 or one mini jet 606. However heat will be an issue so it may just be one powerhead along with the RIO 600 intake and output pumps for the SL-5. With all this heat it will probably be a good idea either skip the SL-5 once the LR is cured and get a micro chiller. That way I can go with 2 mini jets on opposite sides providing current. Does anyone have DIY plans? The picture in the article keeping it cool is 404. Could whip out some of my old peltiers from my extreme overclocking days :) With the SL-5 and the microchiller the back of my tank would be quite an interesting site to say the least.

Once I decide how I'm going setup the SL-5 and or the microchiller I will be adding a grounding rod. All of this pluged into your normal power strip (timer for lights), UPS, and GFCI.

Geez from reading this post you can tell that I'm an equipment nut :)

BTW Lunchbucket if you read this post thanks for putting up your tank pics and setup on the web. Seeing your tank first and then many others (many thanks to you all too) on this board gave me quite a few ideas on where and how I wanted to go with my first nano.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived