Top Shelf Aquatics

Well, I just got a big bag of rotting flesh in the mail...

Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey

I am so unbelievably pissed. I will NEVER thermos trade again. I can't believe that someone would treat corals so poorly :-<

After spending 40 bucks overnighting a really large frag of zoanthids, I get my thermos back.... one bag with two corals in it (xenia and mushrooms).

They're small (about a tenth of the size of the frag I mailed), but I don't care about that. He TIED the bag instead of using rubber bands, so of course the water leaked. The water is super mucky, everything is dead, and god does it stink.

What can I do in this situation? I royally got screwed :-<

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perpetual98

That totally sucks. One of the reasons that I've been leary of doing trades like that. I don't think that there is much recourse for you. It's kinda like getting screwed on ebay. At least with ebay, there's negative feedback, and SOME avenues to travel if you do get boned.

schaferfred

Sorry to hear about that. I don't think I would be doing that anymore. It sucks that you were so generous and someone else took advantage of that.

Perpetual98

Got a spare container you could put the stuff in, like another tank you're not using? Do a water change in your tank, save the water that you took out and put the stuff in there with maybe a powerhead to circulate. Let it sit for a day or two and see what it looks like. Better than just dumping it. I had a couple corals that I bought that I was gonna pitch because they looked like hell, but now they're growing, and one of them is doing REALLY well, so I'm glad I didn't pitch it. Both of them were SPS though. I've heard Xenia doesn't like to be shipped at all, and my zoos made the trip fine too.

Is there any chance that the person was a rookie and didn't know the right way to send a frag? Just wondering if an email or phone call wouldn't give the guy a reason to set things right. Maybe just wishfull thinking.

By the way, I just got a package today and it was triple bagged, with zip loc baggies, and each bag was still wrapped with a rubber band so tight I had to break them to get them off - and that was just for a wad of chaeto! (Thanks reefguy01!)

People suck.. I feel bad most for the creatures that died. Sorry for the loss. I would definately post this guys name here if he's a member....

at least let the person know what happened. and post about it on the site where you got together if he ignores you.

if hes not willing to do a 'make good' not really much you can do.

nalbar

Perpetual98

OMG that's TOO funny ReeferMo. I got some chaeto from reefguy01 too and I had to cut it open to get at it he had it packed so well. LOL

Back on topic, try getting a hold of who you got it from. Explain what happened and see if they're willing to help you out at all. If he turns out to be a dick, I can't tell you not to post his name here, but if you want to, that's your call.

Funkymonkey
Originally posted by joekr

People suck..  I feel bad most for the creatures that died.  Sorry for the loss.  I would definately post this guys name here if he's a member....

Yeah, i'm actually about to cry, lol.

I shot him an email, we'll see what he says...

Funkymonkey:

It sounds like these guys want a crucifiction... but I would wait to see if he sets it right before announcing his name to the world. However, if it turns out that he is just a little prick who doesn't give a darn and doesn't care if he screws a fellow reefer over, go for it... I would like to know who it is too.

AReeferIsExpensive

sorry about your loss but i just wanted to add that this isnt that common IMO.

I constantly thermos trade. Shrooms, xenia, zoos, kenya tree, n more. I DONT send them overnight...they take 3 days w/ no thermal pack.

Ive never had ANYTHING die in result of the shipping.

You said that the person put both of the corals in a bag(?) Umm...why were they in a bag if they were in a thermos in the first place? The only time i will use a bag when trading is if its two different kinds of mushrooms so they dont sting eachother to death. Ive put 3-4 zoo frags all straight in the thermos together more than once and everything went perfect.

Also, did they leave a lot of air in the bag? Leaving room for o2 is very important for them surviving the trip. Its like suffocating them to death......

If the person is decent enough, they will hopefully agree to send you some things in a decent manner so you wont feel so screwed over~

Funkymonkey
Originally posted by AReeferIsExpensive

sorry about your loss but i just wanted to add that this isnt that common IMO.

I constantly thermos trade. Shrooms, xenia, zoos, kenya tree, n more.  I DONT send them overnight...they take 3 days w/ no thermal pack.  

Ive never had ANYTHING die in result of the shipping.

You said that the person put both of the corals in a bag(?) Umm...why were they in a bag if they were in a thermos in the first place? The only time i will use a bag when trading is if its two different kinds of mushrooms so they dont sting eachother to death. Ive put 3-4 zoo frags all straight in the thermos together more than once and everything went perfect.

Also,  did they leave a lot of air  in the bag?  Leaving room for o2 is very important for them surviving the trip.  Its like suffocating them to death......

If the person is decent enough, they will hopefully agree to send you some things in a decent manner so you wont feel so screwed over~

There wasn't any O2 in the bag, but it could have just leaked out with the water I guess... I'm not going to post his name if he makes it right (crosses fingers). Everyone makes mistakes, it just sucks that something had to die for this lesson.

AReeferIsExpensive

no o2= big big problem. Make sure you let them know that they were at fault and tell them directions on how to do it right. Hopefully they'll work it out~ Good luck

Funkymonkey

I will let him know, and i'll try my hardest to be calm...

The xenia got tossed, but I rinsed the mushroom frag really well and put it in my tank. It looks horrid, but you never know. Shave too, it glows an awesome color....

"Well, I just got a big bag of rotting flesh in the mail..."

Man, if I had a dollar for every time that happened to me...

Oh, we're talking about corals. Never mind.

Perpetual98

The mushroom may come back. I had a rock with a lone mushroom on it that was infested with hair algae. I ended up taking the rock out and scrubbing the hell out of it and the mushroom I thought was a gonner. It withered away to nothing but a month later, it was back to about 2" around.

It doesn't help that the toxin from Xenia is uber-badass. I'd be wary of anything that was in a bag that stunk like rotting flesh. By the way, how do you know what rotting flesh smells like?

Hey Funky...

I'm new to reefing and haven't ever done a thermos trade and saw your post and it makes me sad because I was looking forward to trading someday. I'm from the Dallas area and I have some great friends that have shared frags with me and have been extremely helpfull. I'm telling you this because I would like to help you out. I have a bunch of xenia, some small mushrooms, and zoo's I would like to send to you. I know buying things and getting bad stuff really makes the hobby disheartening. (is that a word?) I don't want any money, just your word that when you get some frags in the future you could ship me some back in my thermos. Let me know what you want do.... :) (plus ur zip)

Bill

(Trying to make the world a better place)

Funkymonkey
Originally posted by blide

Hey Funky...

I'm new to reefing and haven't ever done a thermos trade and saw your post and it makes me sad because I was looking forward to trading someday.  I'm from the Dallas area and I have some great friends that have shared frags with me and have been extremely helpfull.  I'm telling you this because I would like to help you out.  I have a bunch of xenia, some small mushrooms, and zoo's I would like to send to you.  I know buying things and getting bad stuff really makes the hobby disheartening.  (is that a word?)  I don't want any money, just your word that when you get some frags in the future you could ship me some back in my thermos.  Let me know what you want do....  :) (plus ur zip)

Bill

(Trying to make the world a better place)

I think I want to marry you!! My zip code is 77504, and i'd be happy to send you a frag eventually. I just got some awesome zoanthids and they'll be ready to frag in a few months ^_^

Archived