Cultivated Reef

Sleeping with the Fishes [a pe(s)t project]

holy carp

1 hour ago, holy carp said:

Going to attempt a YouTube livestream for a while

OK, here it is trying the Live On YouTube! app. 

You tube channel name?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just realized I passed the 2 year mark a month ago without a mention.

So in honor of the milestone, let's go talk to Bruce.

34oaezm.jpg

Interviewer:      So why don't you introduce yourself to the audience?

Bruce Jenner:    Well, my name is Bruce Jenner.  I'm the first resident of this tank.

Interviewer:      Oh, so how long have you lived here?

Bruce Jenner:    It's been 25 months.  And you know, when I moved in, this place was all spacious and shit.  Now it's gotten so crowded since all these other folks have moved in.  A Cadillac needs space to roam if you know what I mean.

Interviewer:      Ha ha.  No, I have no idea.  You're saying you need more space?

Bruce Jenner:    No, I'm just kidding.  It's fine.  I mean, I'd like to get out there an stretch my fins once in a while.  Like who's trimming the hedges, you know?  It's like WTF...  But no, really, this place is pretty cozy.

Interviewer:       I see.  So tell me about your neighbors.  Who are they?  Do you get along well with them?

Bruce Jenner:     I live with my boyfriend, Lenny.  He's a little twitchy sometimes, but I find it endearing.  We hang out a lot actually.  I like him because he shares his dinner with me.  Then there's Bandido who lives down the hall.  He's OK.  He actually took the unit I lived in when I first moved here.  That's fine, though.  It's a little cramped for me.  Plus now that my boyfriend moved in we needed to have a little more space and privacy.  

Interviewer:       Ha. I know what you mean.  Bow chicka bow wow.

Bruce Jenner:    Um, yeah.  Anyway, that unit wasn't right for us anymore cuz it is too small for two.  I mean, you can ask Bandido, cuz now he's gotta share his unit with that cheerleader bitch, Rachel. She's always getting knocked up and shit.  And she hardly spends any time with her boyfriend Ross.  She just steals his pom poms.  Me me me... Ugh.  You know sometimes she just waves those pom poms in my face.  They look delicious but taste gawd awful. 

Interviewer:      Whoa whoa, rewind!  Are you saying that Bandido's in an interspecial relationship?

Bruce Jenner:    No, not exactly.  They aren't officially living together or anything.  I think Rachel's just squatting and avoiding the geisha.

Interviewer:      I see.  And by geisha, you mean the anemone crab?

Bruce Jenner:    Yeah, she's always flippin' her fans around with this attitude like, 'I don't go to food, food comes to me!"  I don't know who she thinks she is.  I go to food!  What the hell is wrong with that?  And she also gets snappy sometimes.  Not like Randy, he's just a shrimp.  But that geisha can get really snippy.  A lot of the other residents steer clear of her, but I'm not scared.

Interviewer:      Oh, is that because you're the biggest resident?

Bruce Jenner:    What did you say?

Interviewer:      No, I just meant, you know, you're the oldest.  I mean more mature...  Er, no.  

Bruce Jenner:    Don't make me get all Ms. Piggy on your Kermit ass!

Interviewer:       Ok, Ok.  Let's change the subject.  I see you're expecting...

(Thwack!... Thump)

Bruce Jenner:     I just like me my mysis!

[full disclaimer - Bruce Jenner is not expecting.  She's just a fat little piggy!]

• Like 10
6 minutes ago, holy carp said:

34oaezm.jpg

Bruce Jenner:    Well, my name is Bruce Jenner.  I'm the first resident of this tank.

Bruce Jenner:    It's been 25 months.  And you know, when I moved in, this place was all spacious and shit.  Now it's gotten so crowded since all these other folks have moved in.  A Cadillac needs space to roam if you know what I mean.

Interviewer:      Ha ha.  No, I have no idea.  You're saying you need more space?

Bruce Jenner:    No, I'm just kidding.  It's fine.  I mean, I'd like to get out there an stretch my fins once in a while.  Like who's trimming the hedges, you know?  It's like WTF...  But no, really, this place is pretty cozy.

Interviewer:       I see.  So tell me about your neighbors.  Who are they?  Do you get along well with them?

Bruce Jenner:     I live with my boyfriend, Lenny.  He's a little twitchy sometimes, but I find it endearing.  We hang out a lot actually.  I like him because he shares his dinner with me.  Then there's Bandido who lives down the hall.  He's OK.  He actually took the unit I lived in when I first moved here.  That's fine, though.  It's a little cramped for me.  Plus now that my boyfriend moved in we needed to have a little more space and privacy.  

Bruce Jenner:    Um, yeah.  Anyway, that unit wasn't right for us anymore cuz it is too small for two.  I mean, you can ask Bandido, cuz now he's gotta share his unit with that cheerleader bitch, Rachel. She's always getting knocked up and shit.  And she hardly spends any time with her boyfriend Ross.  She just steals his pom poms.  Me me me... Ugh.  You know sometimes she just waves those pom poms in my face.  They look delicious but taste gawd awful. 

Interviewer:      Whoa whoa, rewind!  Are you saying that Bandido's in an interspecial relationship?

Bruce Jenner:    No, not exactly.  They aren't officially living together or anything.  I think Rachel's just squatting and avoiding the geisha.

Bruce Jenner:    Yeah, she's always flippin' her fans around with this attitude like, 'I don't go to food, food comes to me!"  I don't know who she thinks she is.  I go to food!  What the hell is wrong with that?  And she also gets snappy sometimes.  Not like Randy, he's just a shrimp.  But that geisha can get really snippy.  A lot of the other residents steer clear of her, but I'm not scared.

Interviewer:      No, I just meant, you know, you're the oldest.  I mean more mature...  Er, no.  

Interviewer:       Ok, Ok.  Let's change the subject.  I see you're expecting...

(Thwack!... Thump)

[full disclaimer - Bruce Jenner is not expecting.  She's just a fat little piggy!]

:wub: :flower: :wub:

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, holy carp said:

34oaezm.jpg

(Thwack!... Thump)

:lol:   Bruce rules. 

• Like 1

34oaezm.jpg

(Thwack!... Thump)

That was hysterical!

• 2 weeks later...

Overdue update:

Lenny jumped on the eve of the 14th.  I had the lid off and stepped away into the other room.  He was dry by the time I returned. :(

In better news, I found a baby RFA that seems to be doing well...

7/14:

33asc9t.jpg

7/25:

250sh1s.jpg

This guy was unexpected since I only had 2 RFA's, and they crawled to the back of the rock.  I can hardly see them, but this little guy is right in the front - hopefully he'll stay there.

Any guesses to its future coloration pattern?

• Like 5
6 hours ago, holy carp said:

July FTS:

2wd269c.jpg

and the Miles Davis version:

e5fdqw.jpg

(did tinypic die?)

I can't see the pics! Upload directly from your comp/phone/whatever or use flickr or something that isn't tinypic. 

I just got caught up. So sorry about Lenny :(

But I loved the interview with Bruce. :lol: And I'm looking forward to seeing the images, looks like something's wrong with tinypic. For what it's worth, I'm happy with Flickr...

Flickr is not a bad idea.  It and photobucket used to be blocked by our firewall, which is why I had gone to alternatives.  Photobucket is still blocked, but Flickr is now an option.  For the time being I'm trying out postimg.org

20170802_095238.jpg

20170802_095137.jpg

Probably should've adjusted the color temp on the actinic shot...

• Like 5

That little RFA bugger is still hanging in there...  I scraped back the leading edge of the sunset monti just to be safe.  Still no colors showing.

(Sorry for the haze; I had just put some Coral Snow in the tank)

20170807_145957.jpg

• Like 3

It's pretty evident that the elegance coral is getting too big for this little tank, so here's a sneak peak at @Doggiefish's future home for the elegance:

Concept Drilled:

20170810_124054.jpg

Currently plumbed and being leak tested:

20170810_123329.jpg

Maybe I can talk her into putting up a build thread...

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The Orbit Marine and Orbit Marine Pro only use 2 channels for lighting.  White and Blue.  Here's my schedule:

Orbit_Marine_Ramp_Timer_Calc.jpg

Wow you run at 100% on the Pro?! And that's the majority of the day as well... I never would have guessed that. I was preparing myself to start at about 30% with my Orbit IC but I probably should rethink that, especially if I'm going to suspend the light above the tank 5 or 6 inches. 

Thanks for sharing that!

No, mine is not the pro - mine is the original low profile Orbit Marine.  Both the original and the pro have the same controller unit called Ramp Timer Pro.  I had tried to upgrade to the IC, but the different colored LEDs created an awful rainbow banding across the tank - especially the red sections.  Turning down the red just resulted in a dark section of the tank in its place.  So I returned the IC and stuck with the original.

I think the IC light might blend better if suspended higher above the tank so that the colors can disperse more.  But then with a narrow tank like mine (and yours :D), you end up with a lot of light spillage. 

I would like broader coverage, and I've considered adding a second Orbit Marine in parallel to the first.  It would work well, I'm sure, but would make feeding and access a challenge, and there would be no view from the top at all.  Still toying with the idea, though.  You could do some cool things with staggered timing, but I digress...

urfavoritehoboinkc

I suspected you were running a full blast schedule.  I'm running the orbit loop on a fluval spec & only notice the red on one spot at dusk.  Daylight is 42% W, 100% B, 50% R, 50% G along with 8 Rapid LEDs of Royal Blue, Cyan, UV, & ultra marine blue all on 1 dimmer at 25%.  I prefer the 14-20K look but felt I was light starving the corals so I added the Rapids to give me a little more play color & intensity wise.  Thank you for the specs on your masterpiece. 

• Like 1