Innovative Marine Aquariums

My Rembrandt

PicoSavvy

HarryPotter

Really it killed your sps. Man I was really liking zeovit, everytime I see a zeovit tank I am amazed of the color they have. Apart from phol's xtra and meaty foods do you recommend anything else. For water change I am think about doing 25 percent of the total system volume.

A 25% change may do more harm then good. Smaller 10% changes will shock the corals much less IMO

Hows the tank? New pictures?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tank is good I was able to borrow a Sicce pump from a friend and try it out on it and man the thing is silent. Tomorrow I will be ordering one. I am currently working on the design of the Skyscape with UltraBrite. This will be there first model with a dual hook design so it can incorporate The Mame overflow. I also have been talking to them about there up coming led system for nano tank. It measures just 3.5 x 3.5 x 1 inches with independent 4 channel control and with magnetic hangers or a clamp system.

HarryPotter

The tank is good I was able to borrow a Sicce pump from a friend and try it out on it and man the thing is silent. Tomorrow I will be ordering one of their 1.5 or 2 model. I am currently working on the design of the Skyscape with UltraBrite. This will be there first model with a dual hook design so it can incorporate The Mame overflow

Cool cool! :)

HarryPotter

By the way we're you able to fix the leak problem with your doser

Embarrassingly I'm grounded and can't go to the LFS to buy new tubing connectors....

Embarrassingly I'm grounded and can't go to the LFS to buy new tubing connectors....

If don't mind me asking but what lfs do you go to apart from the big brand stores like petco and pet smart I haven't been able to find a good fish store that has a good amount of reef related products

HarryPotter

If don't mind me asking but what lbs fo you go to apart from the big brand stores like petco and pet smart I haven't been able to find a good fish store that has a good amount of reef related products

Oh I really like Exotic Aquariums for high end equipment, clams, cheap coral, and fish. Ecotech Martine, AI, Red Sea, Salifert, and more there :)

For some RFAs and SPS corals, VIP Reef is best yet expensive

ReefTop has pretty terrible coral and customer service (They literally refuse to sell you stuff if the owner isn't there)

Thank for the recommendation, I will be sure to check them out. Well after a really long phone talk with a aluminum extrusion distributor about t slot I got a quote for my stand that measures about 25 inch tall by 12 inch wide and 12 inch long for 210 dollar

HarryPotter

Thank for the recommendation, I will be sure to check them out. Well after a really long phone talk with a aluminum extrusion distributor about t slot I got a quote for my stand that measures about 25 inch tall by 12 inch wide and 12 inch long for 210 dollar

Why the heck do you need extruded aluminum for a 12x12 stand?!

I Was thinking about building the stand out of aluminum, for a modern look it comes, pre cut and all you have to do is screw the extrusions in place.

Using brs calculator. I calculated how much carbon and gfo is recommended to run in my system.

First up carbon about 7 ml

20150803_220358_zps9vm1fkn5.jpg

Next gfo about 9.5 ml

Stormtrooper for size comparison.

Me thinking that I could use two minimax desktop top reactor, one for carbon and the other one just in case for whatever problem pop up in the future (most likely a gfo reactor) from the results it looks like one is enough to run what ever I want. Maybe I could turn the 2nd into a zeovit reactor, but from what I am hearing it looks like zeovit do not have great results in pico tank.

1 Liter of ZEOvit Zeolite is recommend for every 100 gallons (net) of water.

10 ml for every gallon

So for a net gallon volume of 2.6 for my system that is 26ml way under the minimax reactor maximum 150 media capacity.

ZEObak = 1 drop for 25 gallon = 1 drop equal to .05 ml = .05 divided by 25 equal to .0.002 ml per gallon = .002 ml times 2.6 is 0.0052 ml

ZEOfood is the same dosage as zeobak

ZEOstart = 1ml for 250 gallon = .004ml for 1 gallon = .004 times 2.6 equal 0.0104ml

This is the dosage with pure zeovit solution

When went full retard and did my "experiment" I was dosing on a schedule majority on 2 additives a day thru out the week:

K-Balance

B-Balance

Phol's Xtra

Zeofood

Sponge Power

LPS Amino's

Coral Vitilizer

Bio-Mate

I believe a few other,all diluted with distilled water. I have learned that plain Amino Acids like Acro Power or just Phol's Xtra is the cream of the crop. With Phol's I saw INCREDIBLE colors,growth and the the size of my Zoa polyps got HUGE after a 1-2 weeks of using it. That's the only additive I'd only ever use if I didn't have to order it online.

But really,with a good salt (I use Aquavitro Salinity and have use RSCP) and Amino's things look good,if not better than ever really. Growth would be better if I kept up on my tank more lol. To each their own though. Everyone's tank likes different shit.

A 25% change may do more harm then good. Smaller 10% changes will shock the corals much less IMO

Hows the tank? New pictures?

Personally,I've done 50% on my tank (2g's) weekly for about a year now and have never seen ill effect. There's more than enough info out there and even on this forum where 50-100% water changes will have no bad effect on nano's.

Maybe with some sps who aren't tolerant of momentary exposure to air,which for one Setosa's DO NOT do well exposed even for a minute,I learned that lol. My Acro's never have given me problems being exposed,for at least 2 minutes besides my Setosa.

Once again,that's just my .2 on it,from my research and personal experience.

I am not to worried about air exposure since this system has has a sump so I can take the water out of the sump and have no effect on the display

The build on this tank turn out completely different from the original plan back 2 and a half years ago. Originally I was going to build it so it had a dramatically oversize sump, something close to 200 gallon, the idea was that with such a huge water volume my parameters would change very very very slowly and the only thing that I would have to worry about was topping it off. But then I started thinking if it would still be consider a pico. So then I went to a aquarium show and was amazed by all the cool gadgets they had keeping the tank in check and that when I joined nano-reef and asked my first question can a calcium reactor work on a pico (http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/348474-cr-reactor/) and from there on I started doing more and more research until I got up to this point

Your screen name is appropriate PicoSavvy.

Thanks bro. I really like pico aquarium, big aquarium are not really attractive to me all that much, don't get me wrong there are some beautiful large reef out there but I like my pico reefs more

That sucks! I hate waiting for things. What are you waiting for in this shipment?

Waiting for a kore doser it was 450 dollars and I sometimes get worried when ever I order anything over 200. Last time they deliver my package to my neighbors and didn't even leave a notice.

I also got two minimax reactor on the way and a Cobalt OXY-PRO air pump

chemikalzsky

Yeah, I would be nervous about that too. UPS isn't he best here either. My packages look like they have been through a soccer game and they never knock on the door when they drop off the package.

Yea my packages look like they played the super bowl with. Well at least they drop off the for you, for me the person that drives the usps car honk one time and hope and pray you hear it. If you don't she writes up that pink paper, that you have to take to the usps office to pick up your package

FInally got my sand I decided on caribsea Bahamas Oolite, original I wanted mame sand but I didn't find much information on it so I went with good old classic caribsea sand.

while I was there I took some time to check up on my little dudes

imagejpeg_2_zpshyuv2o4z.jpg

When I got home I cleared some space for the tank

20150802_203502_zpsd0i0t50z.jpg

I had to remove one of my rc racks

Complete sump mock-up with mame skimmer, return and drain, dual media reactor ( The two large pvc pipe).

20150803_024252_zps8vllodeb.jpg

Now some inspiration for the stand.

RS42101-4_zpsxlrdqpk5.jpg

Simple and elegant.

Not much of a stand but give me some ideas

nanolight_zpsnjsiseus.jpg

Archived