Pod Your Reef

Were to buy live rock in DC?

Bobby417919

Bobby417919

Hey Everyone,

I am have started a new 20 gallon tank and need to get so live rock. I live in PG County and i want to know were a good place to buy some good live rock not to far from the DC area(about a hour or so away).

Thanks Everyone,

Robert

AReeferIsExpensive

Where in PG? you are close to Roozens. It's on allentown road. They have pools of LR there but if you go, dont get the LR from them. Instead, get it out of the boxes along the back wall. U can open them up n go through it.... they arent strict about it-as long as they get $ lol. Its fun to pick out rock there b/c there's so much so you pick out nice shapes for aquascaping.

If you want some with coralline also, go to the crap pool for 2.99 a lb and get a couple pieces for seeding. Or you could order it. I personally like to pick it out myself~

Why not get your liverock online? I can highly recommend the Marshall Island rock from premiumaquatics.com. It is about $5 per pound and with reasonable shipping. It chose 2 day air shipping and my rock was nicely encrusted with coralline and tons of life and no major die-off.

dude, go to roozens like areefer said....that way your not worrying about shipping and the costs that go along with it..

BUT...IMO, if you want the BEST...go to Dr. Mac and Sons over on the eastern shore across the bay bridge...

nawwww....welll, yeah sorta'...but well worth the drive! make a saturday trip out of it. or even better, it'll give you an excuse to hit the beach...OC BABY!:P

EtOH_is_good

locally my preference would be dr mac and then roozens. marshall island rock definately kicks butt on roozens fiji rock.

Bobby417919

AReeferIsExpensive

I live very close to Roozen (5 min) but i dont like there like rock that much it is clovered in red and hair alge.

KrackerG

I dont drive (just have learnes and no car) so getting my parent to take me over to the easteren shore is out of the question.

I have been to Aquarium Center in Baltimore and they have good live rock (i think it is from the Gulf) but it is almost a hour to a hour and a half one way with the traffic.

Thanks Everyone,

EtOH_is_good

roozens because you can have them unpack straight from the box. if you live that close just ask them when the next shipment is coming in. definately don't grab stuff from the red slime tank.

Bobby417919

Thanks Etoh i think i will call them tomorrow and ask when they get there next shipment in.

For me, no more Dr Mac. Don't ask me why. I won't tell ya.

Bobby417919.

Don't forget to bring plastic bucket with you... for carrying your LR way back to your home. Don't buy from their red slime bathtub with some swiming sushies in it. Grab yours from the box as EtOH told you. Check out their homepage, they have some useful info you may need.

AReeferIsExpensive

Rox in the box=decent...just a little dry. Yea, id ask the fatter guy when the new LR is comming in.

For 5mins away its a pretty damn good deal IMO~ What about TBS rock?

I wonder if i see all you guys at Roozens and never even know it? =o lol

(minus ETOH~)

seaside, Dr Macs is great...trying to think of what could be wrong...almost afraid to ask by what youve said.

areefer--hmmm, makes you wonder huh? I look around at people whenever I'm at Roozens and wonder whos from here...I bet we've seen each others and don't even know it. We should use some sorta' sign the next time were there:

oh, i've met ETOH before too, good guy... cool cat. Did you run into each other or was it planned? How'd you'll know it was you/him?

EtOH_is_good

why thanks kracker! i like it best when i'm the only one in a store, so i can cherry pick and so far i have been lucky. however the time that i met areefer, she was picking through the tank as much as i was (nr she's not kidding about her name and buying alot of stuff). it was after her accident, so i knew about her injured thumb, so i just had to ask. of course, after the introductions she ask if i have anything to trade. i was very happy when she left me the purple and green yuma. :)

• 7 months later...

Archived