Cultivated Reef

Should I rescape?

nidding

Seems like everyone is rescaping right now and this has got me into an idea that has been in my mind for some time, namely - to do a rescape myself.

Now my tank looks like so

19288812429_d408ed97a1_o.jpgDSC_4111 by jonas_sandager, on Flickr

What I am considering is to remove the big rock at the drop, and putting in a more steep drop, that would look something like this (excuse the hag job photoshop ;))

19513217632_7ec984ab59_o.jpgMinus zoasten by jonas_sandager, on Flickr

I really can't decide if I want to part with my big zoa rock, and if the new scape would work at all.

So please let me hear your thoughts :) They will be very helpful!

I think it could look good if the drop off created vertical cliff with caves in etc and the shallow was similar to a reef at low tide mainly sand and the deep part the full reef.

Just my thoughts.

+1 to that second scape! (Maybe clear out the sandbed on between the two rock structures to emphasize the disconnect more too?)

I think it could look good if the drop off created vertical cliff with caves in etc and the shallow was similar to a reef at low tide mainly sand and the deep part the full reef.

Just my thoughts.

That way you are taking full advantage of the unique shape of your aquarium.

Good thoughts so far :)

I think I might be able to incorporate some from both of your points :)

As I do like to have some room for corals, I wouldn't like to leave the top part all sand bed. But I could shift the rocks there, to leave it more open.

For the bottom, I would for sure try to separate the drop and the big rock. That should also enhance the depth of the scape.

Thanks so far, and please keep the ideas coming :)

reefdiver88

Firstly, great tank and congrats for your creativity. The drop off is really unusual and makes for a dramatic look. If you want to rescape you might consider the effect the large rock/coral mass on the right/bottom has on the overall visual effect. The primary feature of your tank is the vertical cliff. The effect of the mass on the right is to somewhat diminish that contrast in height. If anything, you would want to put larger pieces on the top shelf to the left and small or tiny pieces on the bottom right, thereby tricking the eye into thinking the drop is twice as large.

Not easy to consider thinning out the herd, but maybe you are already thinking the tank is a bit crowded?

Firstly, great tank and congrats for your creativity. The drop off is really unusual and makes for a dramatic look. If you want to rescape you might consider the effect the large rock/coral mass on the right/bottom has on the overall visual effect. The primary feature of your tank is the vertical cliff. The effect of the mass on the right is to somewhat diminish that contrast in height. If anything, you would want to put larger pieces on the top shelf to the left and small or tiny pieces on the bottom right, thereby tricking the eye into thinking the drop is twice as large.

Not easy to consider thinning out the herd, but maybe you are already thinking the tank is a bit crowded?

You are very right. This was indeed my approach when I first made set up the tank. However, with the dimensions of the shelf that I glued in. I simply weren't able to get that to look right. The top ended up looking crammed up, and the bottom looked empty in a wrong way, so to speak.

I have gotten a few new rocks since then, so I might try and give it another go. Maybe remove the big rock at some point...

Your comment is definitely being taken into account.

Oh yeah, and thanks :) I appreciate your compliments as well ;)

So today it turns out that we will be moving to another apartment in a month and I will probably have to pretty much break down the tank and put it up again. That should be a good opportunity to try a few new things with the scape. That kinda settles the question, I guess :)

Archived