inTank Media Baskets

-Boy Have Times Changed?

basser1

First of all, this isn't and/or meant to be a knock on Hey. It's just an observation I've noticed and thought I'd ask the question.

For me, what makes N-R special is the "uniqueness" of this site. It fits a niche, small tanks and all of the stuff that goes in to keeping a small tank. I personally feel keeping a small tank going is harder than a larger one. There are other sites where only mega size tanks are awarded TOTM honors and the Nano tanks are more of an after-thought. I also enjoy seeing what others have done with large tanks as well. There is a sub-forum for this.

It is what makes N-R special, IMO....

Well in that perspective a nano is anything from a drop of water to 100 gallons. I mean, the TOTMs on that other site are usually 200 and up.

ReeferReefer

I started with a nano but now I'm getting into higher tanks. This is where I learned all about reef keeping and I don't want to go anywhere else. I like the people here. I haven't found a reefing site better than this even if I am building a 55g.

Hammerstone

I have two 30s hoping to start reefing soon. I just have live rock right now and fish, as well as inverts but no corals yet. I'm hoping to make a zoa garden. What is TOTM?

What is TOTM?

It stands for Tank of the Month, which are monthly featured aquariums. They are outstanding member tanks that get nominated by other members, and are excellent examples of what can be achieved.

Here's the current TOTM:

fts.jpg

Hammerstone

What a beautiful tank!! It's a very unique setup!! I love how the fish have a lot of room to swim free too. :-)

I consider nano to be under 25 and above 5. I've only had smaller sized tanks so a 40 seems big to me. That being said, regardless of size, if someone is a contributing member to nanoreef I say they have a shot at totm. I'd rather see a familiar large tank get recognized before I see a small tank from someone that posts a picture and small blurb every 6 months.

First of all, this isn't and/or meant to be a knock on Hey. It's just an observation I've noticed and thought I'd ask the question.

For me, what makes N-R special is the "uniqueness" of this site. It fits a niche, small tanks and all of the stuff that goes in to keeping a small tank. I personally feel keeping a small tank going is harder than a larger one. There are other sites where only mega size tanks are awarded TOTM honors and the Nano tanks are more of an after-thought. I also enjoy seeing what others have done with large tanks as well. There is a sub-forum for this.

It is what makes N-R special, IMO....

I certainly agree that keeping a nano is harder than a larger tank, which is exactly why I went larger. :)

The term "nano" is pretty judgmental. Maybe my tank started out as a 40g but put on a few over time. It's not it's fault that it's currently sitting at 45g. It's a glandular thing... So unless you're going to start a Plus Size TOTM, I say let the best T win!

When ever I see reef central forums I feel like they're discussions are old. In the since a lot of the users are not using or aware of the newest LEDS aND equipment. Everything on NR is pretty legit

A little off topic, and sure, dependant on what you are stocking, but I'm sincerely starting to think that a smaller tank is a LOT easier to run and maintain than a larger tank (my last reef tank was 160 Gallons).

Doing a 20-50% water change on my nano (12 Gallon) once a week will keep everything healthy and takes me 10 minutes tops (I use a very fat hose for this and a bucket). I've just ordered a huge drum of natural sea water to store in my laundry too. That will last a LOT of weekly water changes!

On the 160 Gallon tank I had to constantly adjust dosing, and if anything was to go horribly wrong I would not have been able to do a large enough water change fast enough. If something was to go wrong with my Nano Tank I'd be able to do a 100% water change if necessary within a few minutes.

Cleaning a small tank is a LOT easier than cleaning a large tank too, not to mention a lot less time consuming. Changing out media on a small tank is a LOT easier than my past 160 Gallon too (which had so much gear; skimmer, multiple reactors, pumps etc.).

Hammerstone

I've always wanted a huge tank if I were rich, but I never considered the logistics of doing so. I'd probably have to get inside it to clean it lol. I'm jealous of those people who have a beautiful tank inside of their wall, but I never thought about cleaning it.

My 30 gallon tall, I'd be better off with a step stool than trying to be on my tip toes and stretching my arms to clean the glass lol.

Archived