Coral Vue Hydros

-Boy Have Times Changed?

basser1

Hey Gang....

If you're like me, I look forward to the TOTM. Amazing stuff to be sure. But lately I've noticed a change in the size of the tanks. What constitutes a "Nano" tank? Is 50 gallons now considered a "Nano" tank? Back in the day, 25 or 30 gallon tanks were considered the max size for a nano. Is it now anything under 75 gallons?

What say you N-R?

I remember in 2012 when MedRed's 60g was TOTM some people were complaining because it wasn't nano (and the word "nano" was left out in the title) but I guess people are over that now

I always thought nano was 40g and under

I know the site is called Nano-Reef.com, "The source for saltwater nano reef aquarium information." However, I see it as a site for all marine aquariums (FOWLR, planted, large, or small). So I'm OK with occasionally having some larger tanks (even some non-reef tanks) being recognized for TOTM. I feel it's not just about the tank but also about the member.

But as for a definition, it seems as though most people today are fine with calling an aquarium that's 40 gallon or less, a nano tank. I assume that's primarily due to the popularity of 40 breeders. So for TOTM, I guess I'd personally prefer to see the TOTM primarily kept to this standard, even though I'm glad that this site welcomes members with tanks of all types and sizes.

I think of a nano as 40 and under. I would love to have my 85 considered for TOTM one day, but lets be realistic, TOTM is something for other people to aspire to. So I think a uniform in size is necessary due to the techniques in husbandry. Once you leave the 40 gallon range, husbandry techniques and equipment change. People with nano tanks can't really emulate large tank husbandry techniques, so a TOTM with a large tank is pretty useless on this site.

I know my answer is kind of convoluted, I hope it makes sense. lol

HarryPotter

I think of a nano as 40 and under. I would love to have my 85 considered for TOTM one day, but lets be realistic, TOTM is something for other people to aspire to. So I think a uniform in size is necessary due to the techniques in husbandry. Once you leave the 40 gallon range, husbandry techniques and equipment change. People with nano tanks can't really emulate large tank husbandry techniques, so a TOTM with a large tank is pretty useless on this site.

I know my answer is kind of convoluted, I hope it makes sense. lol

I vote 45, to include all the JBJ RL-45s that have been popping up. However I'm biased ;)

I have always considered a nano tank between 10g-40g, pico 10g and under but all great things come in different sizes:)

I have always considered a nano tank between 10g-40g, pico 10g and under but all great things come in different sizes:)

lol this makes sense to me.

So does 10-40g take into account total water volume, including sumps, because I think it should. I think under 40g total water volume counts as a nano.

I would just take off the word Nano. Open it up to all the tanks posted on Nano Reef. No point in being like "oh hey, you're 5 gallons over, sorry can't do TOTM.". (Not directed at hey in particular lol).

The whole point is to show off that tank. If we have a KILLER 135G in the large reefs forum I've missed I'd want it featured, likewise with any other sizes.

Hey Gang....

If you're like me, I look forward to the TOTM. Amazing stuff to be sure. But lately I've noticed a change in the size of the tanks. What constitutes a "Nano" tank? Is 50 gallons now considered a "Nano" tank? Back in the day, 25 or 30 gallon tanks were considered the max size for a nano. Is it now anything under 75 gallons?

What say you N-R?

First off, you don't post enough updates of your tank old man, so consider this a good scolding. :)

What tank should have won in place of Hey? Was that user available to provide material? Does everyone contribute to the nomination thread where the members of NR suggested a winner?

In other words, NR was already asked and answered right here: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/212216-monthly-reef-profile-nominations/

I suggest everyone who has a favorite tank get in there and nominate it.

The rules I use for nomination (and these are just my rules, not official) is tank must be a year old and poster must be a regular NR user who keeps us updated on progress.

I think nano still works just fine. Big gets bigger, nano gets bigger.

masterbuilder

The are several wonderful tanks here that are larger than what we (maybe I should say "I") consider a nano. I love all tanks from tiny picos to huge room sized tanks. Nano-Reef has sections for all sizes and types, which is a good thing. Hey definitely deserves recognition for possibly one of the greatest tanks here (so far) or on any other site regardless of his tanks size.

However... this is nano-reef.com and I hope it stays that way. There are countless other good sites that cater to larger tanks but none as good as this one for us small tank enthusiasts. If I were king, then any TOTM would hold true to what this site is all about.

As for what constitutes a nano.....thats another argument for another time.

Mark

p.s. Thank you Chris for keeping this thing going.

The are several wonderful tanks here that are larger than what we (maybe I should say "I") consider a nano. I love all tanks from tiny picos to huge room sized tanks. Nano-Reef has sections for all sizes and types, which is a good thing. Hey definitely deserves recognition for possibly one of the greatest tanks here (so far) or on any other site regardless of his tanks size.

However... this is nano-reef.com and I hope it stays that way. There are countless other good sites that cater to larger tanks but none as good as this one for us small tank enthusiasts. If I were king, then any TOTM would hold true to what this site is all about.

As for what constitutes a nano.....thats another argument for another time.

Mark

p.s. Thank you Chris for keeping this thing going.

But there aren't "countless other good sites" IMO and in many other people's opinions. What makes nano-reef such a good place is the true community here. I have had no problems with many people on here. I've been on very few other sites and I have been nearly ripped off twice.

I think TOTM should be available to anyone worthy. Who cares if the tank is 500 gallons? If it is incredible visually and the tank husbandry is top notch what does it matter? The care is very similar in big tanks and "nano" tanks. Big tanks just cost a lot more money typically. I've seen nano tanks running with far more equipment than a 500 gallon tank.

Let's keep TOTM about showcasing a person's achievements with their tank. NOT about how much water they have in a glass box.

I too have considered a nano to be 40 and under in the past, but since I now own a 50, I have to say that I am happy to see Hey's 50 being recognized. Previously Zia's 50 and Gena's 45 were recognized. And I was one of the people in favor of MedReds 60G being awarded TOTM. I mean the tank was simply breathtaking, do I really care about the size of a gorgeous tank? I think though that he was a one-off because overwhelmingly people voted for that tank.

By the same token so many picos have won the honor and they have all been unbelievable little tanks. I think CM is doing just fine.

When I am asked about my tank size I say it is a nano. It's what I do. ;)

HarryPotter

I thought "nano" is based on number of tangs in the tank...

Well I have 17 tangs in my 28g, so I hope I can qualify!

As others have pointed out, this site is focused on nano sized tanks, so personally I would prefer most TOTMs to be nanos, but the occasional larger tank doesn't bother me.

One thing I like about this site is how it's all about nanos. I like that I can get advice from other people who actually have nano tanks, and I can check out other awesome nano tanks. Larger reef tanks can be great too, but I think one of the points of this site is to highlight nano tanks, and the TOTM is a great way of doing that.

Members with larger tanks shouldn't be "disqualified". If they are a member in good standing, they should qualify as an entry regardless of size.

If someone started with a Biocube and found their way here and over the years, learned, and upgraded to a larger tank and made it a masterpiece, should he not qualify?

I don't particularly care what size tanks win, if they are nice tanks from our community and the community votes on them, then the community has decided that the tank, whatever the size, is a TOTM. I think of nanos as less than 40g total water volume, but I don't think that larger tanks should somehow be disqualified. I'm never going to see a TOTM in my hands anyways, so it's not like I have competition there, lol.

First of all, this isn't and/or meant to be a knock on Hey. It's just an observation I've noticed and thought I'd ask the question.

For me, what makes N-R special is the "uniqueness" of this site. It fits a niche, small tanks and all of the stuff that goes in to keeping a small tank. I personally feel keeping a small tank going is harder than a larger one. There are other sites where only mega size tanks are awarded TOTM honors and the Nano tanks are more of an after-thought. I also enjoy seeing what others have done with large tanks as well. There is a sub-forum for this.

It is what makes N-R special, IMO....

Archived