Jump to content
jack1978

jacks cube -an unfinished story

Recommended Posts

jack1978   
7 minutes ago, RollaJase said:

What light did you end up getting Jack? A Nano-Box? Mine is running at about 90% peak and that's a custom build with 6 arrays. That's the benefit of the Ecotech or AI lights I guess, the optics focus the light increasing power.

No....went with the Maxspect Ethereal.  I'd still like a Hybrid....T5/LED.  I know I'll slack on bulb changes......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

No....went with the Maxspect Ethereal.  I'd still like a Hybrid....T5/LED.  I know I'll slack on bulb changes......

I am over the t5 only fixture on my big tank so I ordered the new aquaticlife hybrid, so now I gotta pick my led lights.... I was thinking about radions.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

I am over the t5 only fixture on my big tank so I ordered the new aquaticlife hybrid, so now I gotta pick my led lights.... I was thinking about radions.  

Those AquaticLife fixture look awesome, I saw them on ReefBuilders. That's more or less what I will have to end up building if I can't get something like that locally.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
jack1978   
1 minute ago, RollaJase said:

Ah fair enough. The Ethereal is an interesting light, always looked like a strong contender. When I upgrade to a 4 or 6 footer I'll be DIYing a T5/LED hybrid. 4 bulbs and 6 LED arrays should give me the punch I need haha.

Yep....Im stuck with this cube for awhile as it fits the only available space in the house.  An addition is coming in a few years (fingers crossed) then a new tank and setup.....Hybrid most likely as well.

 

Your property cost sounds close to what we have over here. 

I like all your ideas.....especially the school going in.....your equity should rise pretty quick.  Nice investment for sure.  

How many square feet on the house?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, RollaJase said:

Those AquaticLife fixture look awesome, I saw them on ReefBuilders. That's more or less what I will have to end up building if I can't get something like that locally.

I was so happy when I saw the video.  For a 48” tank, I can buy it and my led lights for under a grand.......I also like a “beefy” fixture to balance out my tank.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

Yep....Im stuck with this cube for awhile as it fits the only available space in the house.  An addition is coming in a few years (fingers crossed) then a new tank and setup.....Hybrid most likely as well.

 

Your property cost sounds close to what we have over here. 

I like all your ideas.....especially the school going in.....your equity should rise pretty quick.  Nice investment for sure.  

How many square feet on the house?

Ah yeah, I'm in the same boat. The 55G was a nice upgrade but I want more! I'm thinking it will be easier to cycle a new tank when the house is built and transfer over live stock instead of moving a tank, we will see. The base house plan is 215sqm but I have modified it a bit, added in an Alfresco area and extended the garage width a little (want shelving/work bench in the garage without impacting space for 2 cars). I'm pretty sure it is sitting at 230sqm which is about 2475sqft. It was a 4 bedroom design with dual living spaces but I converted it to 3 bedroom and added an alfresco area at the rear to make better use of the space. The original plan can be seen here if you are interested.
http://www.hickinbotham.com.au/home-designs/courtyard/welwyn/

12 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I was so happy when I saw the video.  For a 48” tank, I can buy it and my led lights for under a grand.......I also like a “beefy” fixture to balance out my tank.  

That's a pretty good deal. It's definitely an interesting concept, takes a lot of the cost out of buying a 'premium' hybrid fixture.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, RollaJase said:

That's a pretty good deal. It's definitely an interesting concept, takes a lot of the cost out of buying a 'premium' hybrid fixture.

Exactly. ......And Aquaticlife makes great fixtures for that price. My current fixture is an Aquaticlife 4 bulb with moonlight leds and I love that fixture....... but I need movement in the tank, it’s too flat.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
spectra   

Nanobox Retro for the win :lol: I wouldn't give up my ATI for anything....................

 

also no little Chinese guy to help me program it Jack :P 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
jack1978   
20 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I am over the t5 only fixture on my big tank so I ordered the new aquaticlife hybrid, so now I gotta pick my led lights.... I was thinking about radions.  

Let me know if you want the Radion...gonna put it up for sale I think.

Share this post


Link to post
jack1978   
2 hours ago, RollaJase said:

Ah yeah, I'm in the same boat. The 55G was a nice upgrade but I want more! I'm thinking it will be easier to cycle a new tank when the house is built and transfer over live stock instead of moving a tank, we will see. The base house plan is 215sqm but I have modified it a bit, added in an Alfresco area and extended the garage width a little (want shelving/work bench in the garage without impacting space for 2 cars). I'm pretty sure it is sitting at 230sqm which is about 2475sqft. It was a 4 bedroom design with dual living spaces but I converted it to 3 bedroom and added an alfresco area at the rear to make better use of the space. The original plan can be seen here if you are interested.
http://www.hickinbotham.com.au/home-designs/courtyard/welwyn/

That's a pretty good deal. It's definitely an interesting concept, takes a lot of the cost out of buying a 'premium' hybrid fixture.

Sounds/looks like a great house!

Loved ready the site.....so similar to here....yet just a little different.  Thanks for sharing, buddy!

.....what car gets parked in the garage? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, jack1978 said:

Sounds/looks like a great house!

Loved ready the site.....so similar to here....yet just a little different.  Thanks for sharing, buddy!

.....what car gets parked in the garage? 

Pleasure mate  :). Will just be my car and my partners in the garage. Maybe one day I'll buy another project car but I don't see that happening any time soon, as much as I would like it to. The tank takes up a lot of my spare time and drains my spare funds pretty quickly haha.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, RollaJase said:

Yeah definitely. When my parents purchased 22 years ago they payed less for 40 acres then I am paying for roughly half an acre...

 

We were considering land to build on. But where we're looking is in the middle of nowhere and it looks like we can't afford the addition of having to get sewer and a water well installed.

 

I thought $40k for 1 acre was expensive... 

Share this post


Link to post
jack1978   
22 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

So what’s the story with your lighting situation?  Do you like the new one better than the Radion? 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

 

 

I like the size on that......I don’t care for tiny lights. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
jack1978   
Just now, WV Reefer said:

 

I like the size on that......I don’t care for tiny lights. 

Why does that not surprise me?

:rolleyes:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
spectra   

Mmmmmm chili and beer................

 

carry on the light conversation going back for more ;) 

 

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
jack1978   
3 minutes ago, spectra said:

Mmmmmm chili and beer................

 

carry on the light conversation going back for more ;) 

 

 

I had the same last night.....Mrs Jack put beer in the chili.....in the Instapot.....realized the alcohol might not have cooked out as it's basically a pressure cooker.  The chili tasted like a can of beer and the kids slept great!

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
spectra   
16 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

I had the same last night.....Mrs Jack put beer in the chili.....in the Instapot.....realized the alcohol might not have cooked out as it's basically a pressure cooker.  The chili tasted like a can of beer and the kids slept great!

 

 

I add beer to my mouth as I eat the chili...........better that way as I can control the amount :lol: 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
jack1978   
1 hour ago, spectra said:

 

I add beer to my mouth as I eat the chili...........better that way as I can control the amount :lol: 

 

I approve of this method.

Any progress on the bikes?

Share this post


Link to post
spectra   
9 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

I approve of this method.

Any progress on the bikes?

Have a bunch of new parts............... waitng on some frame stuff so I can start putting Kimber back together......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
jack1978   
1 hour ago, spectra said:

Have a bunch of new parts............... waitng on some frame stuff so I can start putting Kimber back together......

She's a real mess, huh? 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
spectra   
7 hours ago, jack1978 said:

She's a real mess, huh? 

Well just starting from scratch.........so a few things to do.

Share this post


Link to post
spectra   

Did you beat up Sancho and steal his tamales............or just buy them from some street vendor............

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
jack1978   
1 hour ago, spectra said:

Did you beat up Sancho and steal his tamales............or just buy them from some street vendor............

 

 

I would never steal another man's tamales!

 

Mrs Jack is a 'can remember? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.....I bought them off a street vender.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recommended Discussions

  • Sign Up or Sign In to hide this.

×