ReefCleaners.org

jacks cube -an unfinished story

jack1978

I'll bet the rock change will help a lot. I like the bare bottom in my 30g tank but I painted the bottom so it has fake sand. I like the look of a sand bottom in my display tanks. 

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I'll bet the rock change will help a lot. I like the bare bottom in my 30g tank but I painted the bottom so it has fake sand. I like the look of a sand bottom in my display tanks. 

Yep....I think so.  I will miss the ease of cleaning / shit removal from the BB....so easy to just siphon out the pile of crud.  

The critters seem happier.....or it could have been the whiskey telling me so.  Time will tell.

I may add some of the rock structure today that I made.......last year?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, jack1978 said:

Well....I miss the sand look.  And, I used the man made fake rock which is not very porous and in conjunction with bare bottom.....I think I had very little biofiltration....is that a word?  So, trying sand and going back with actual rock.....

Which brand of man-made fake rock did you use?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

Which brand of man-made fake rock did you use?

Reel Reef, I believe.  Looks great, but I don't see how stuff can colonize within it.....at least not to the degree of the real thing. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

Reel Reef, I believe.  Looks great, but I don't see how stuff can colonize within it.....at least not to the degree of the real thing. 

Because of a lack of porousness? You really think it's that much of an issue?

How was it during cycling, or was it wet when you got it?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jack1978 said:

Gotta keep with the theme, yoga queen!

How are things, Jack? 

On 4/3/2017 at 0:53 AM, jack1978 said:

It's Charlie!! How's pickles?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

Because of a lack of porousness? You really think it's that much of an issue?

How was it during cycling, or was it wet when you got it?

Well....if bacteria don't have much surface area to colonize.....and zero sandbed...I'm guessing it's possible.  I ran other tanks for years with zero filtration other than sand and rock without issue.  This was BB and no real rock......I've had nothing but insane algae issues.  Ran skimmer, UV, skimpy feeding, WC, .....nothing seemed to improve.  

Going to see what happens before I throw a brick at this cube.  :D

1 hour ago, stellablue said:

How are things, Jack? 

It's Charlie!! How's pickles?

Eh, work officially sucks now.

Family is awesome!

Charlie still makes me laugh!

Pickles is a pain in the ass....but, we haven't turned her into burroitos.....yet.

You?

• Like 5
  • 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, pgrVII said:

That's nice lookin sir

Thanks, man.  Looks "Garfy" at night with the blues on.  Thing has been covered in a light algae film for months.....thought it was dead.  Came home and POW!  It's looking great again.:)

.....for now.

• Like 3
ReefWeeds
27 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

Thanks, man.  Looks "Garfy" at night with the blues on.  Thing has been covered in a light algae film for months.....thought it was dead.  Came home and POW!  It's looking great again.:)

.....for now.

The one you sent me is looking awesome!! It's more pointy than yours but same "garfy" look. I love it! 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, stellablue said:

The one you sent me is looking awesome!! It's more pointy than yours but same "garfy" look. I love it! 

Ya......i sent you the bigger one.  Did the orange sponge on the base survive the trip?

• Like 2
ReefWeeds
Just now, jack1978 said:

Ya......i sent you the bigger one.  Did the orange sponge on the base survive the trip?

It did!!! I think it's my favorite softie :) 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, spectra said:

Is that a stick in the weeds ?

Kinda looks like it....but no.

White leather of some sort.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jack1978 said:

Kinda looks like it....but no.

White leather of some sort.

Does it polyp out ?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, spectra said:

Does it polyp out ?

What you see there is about it....they glow green at night.

Just saw it today with almost clear protrusions sticking out....almost like an acan has.  Weird. 

• Like 2

Thought my little wasp fish was dead....havent seen her in about a month.  Last night I spotted her.....wtf is she eating?

• Like 4
ReefWeeds
4 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

Thought my little wasp fish was dead....havent seen her in about a month.  Last night I spotted her.....wtf is she eating?

She must be finding something!!! What do they eat anyway? Maybe she ate Jack Squat....

• Like 2
1 hour ago, stellablue said:

She must be finding something!!! What do they eat anyway? Maybe she ate Jack Squat....

Algae?

?

Jack Squat is still alive and well.....wiggles his little arms whenever food hits the water.  

• Like 2