ReefCleaners.org

Matts 50 gallon breeder with 20 gallon sump

jdmcbuilt

Tank has been up 2 years now.

Equipment
I have a rio 2500 for return since the mag 9.5 heats up the tank alot. Arizona weather it isnt going to work

T5 retrofit fixture 39w 4 bulb ati bulbs

Magus curve 5

Ehiem heater

Smart ato

Glass holes 700gph
2-Jaebo rw8 and hydor korlia
Diy 20 gallon sump in first chamber i have 10 pounds of live rock and cheato

Current live stock
Snowflake clown
Kole tang
Six line wrasse
Twin spot blenny

Damsel

Royal gramma
Turbo snails
Emerald crabs
Nassuarius

Corals

Frogspawn

Kenya tree

Montipora

Candy cane

Polys and shrooms

Green tooth coral

post-88178-0-55844400-1485137720_thumb.jpg

post-88178-0-33350900-1485137926_thumb.jpg

I'd go with a quieter overflow (BA or herbie) and maybe a reefbreeders or oceanrevive fixture. I've owned both the maxspect fixture and the glass holes overflow...had issues with them both. I think you'll be fine with one return as long as you've got good flow in your tank. You should be able to find a good MP40 used nowadays.

Its not rimless. I was gonna go with a different overflow. But sound isnt to much of an issue. Canopy will reduce sound a bit. Also what return pump should i get to equal out the overflow. How many gph return pump and brand. I dont want to have heat issues with pump either.

I'd go with a quieter overflow (BA or herbie) and maybe a reefbreeders or oceanrevive fixture. I've owned both the maxspect fixture and the glass holes overflow...had issues with them both. I think you'll be fine with one return as long as you've got good flow in your tank. You should be able to find a good MP40 used nowadays.

Are those light fixture good? For mainly lps softies and some sps. I was going to get a mp40 regardless. Just wanted equal flow throughout the tank thats why i was opting for 2 returns.

Stained the stand waiting for it to dry. This arizona heat is making this stain/clear is take forever to harden.

Cut holes for returns and over flow. Painted tank black. needs one more coat. Picked up a mag 9.5 and my 20 gallon high sump is done as well. Will post pictures of sump soon

post-88178-0-29478100-1435971142_thumb.jpg

post-88178-0-20166500-1435971302_thumb.jpg

I'd put a union somewhere on that drain. If you angle the drain 45 degrees you can probably get away with one or two 45 degree elbows. You want the water to slide as much as possible. 90's on that drain will make crazy noise. What return pump did you decide on?

I'd put a union somewhere on that drain. If you angle the drain 45 degrees you can probably get away with one or two 45 degree elbows. You want the water to slide as much as possible. 90's on that drain will make crazy noise. What return pump did you decide on?

that was just a test fit. i cut the long pipe in half and put a union there only. i have a 45 going into the sump. tested with water and makes hardly any noise. and no LEAKS!!!!! one try lol..

i went with a mag 9.5 so i have some space for more flow or less. i ended up getting a new jaebo rw-8 for free. so ill rock that till it takes a crap.

its much more rewarding build your own tank. then just buying one. also saves a ton of money too. :D

Its wet and still no leaks. I have dry rocks on order. Should get them this week. I have a power strip with switches im going to add instead of the oldschool power strip im using now.

post-88178-0-59649400-1436240664_thumb.jpg

post-88178-0-58548600-1436240680_thumb.jpg

The overflow is totally silent. Most of the noise comes from the sump. Just sounds like a slow waterfall

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived