Top Shelf Aquatics

Lime Box IM10

Merthynia

3 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Ha ha, not even close. Although I'm a lot closer this year than usual, because I actually bought some presents already. My son's birthday is today, and we don't officially start getting Christmas decorations out until after his birthday (our rule is one special occasion at a time :D)

That sounds like a great rule! I'd be afraid if I had a birthday around such a major celebration that it would get shoved to the side a bit. :) I've only got two more people to shop for and then I'm pretty much done! My tiny tree has a ton of presents stacked underneath it already!

• Like 1
22 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Picsoritdidn'thappen :D

Of the tree, I mean...

38842174351_178ed08b0d_z.jpg

The presents go all the way around the base of the tree. Still waiting on a couple more shipments to arrive so I can wrap them!

38811321362_9756603513_z.jpg

38126364714_ee417e71ec_z.jpg

38126364344_13310eb2b7_z.jpg

27065635749_d626204698_z.jpg

I realized today what I miss most about prior to my mostly-crash. I miss my scoly and mini plate. I have no idea where I could even look for another quarter size plate, but I may need to search for a new scoly.

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Merthynia

These pictures are hard to look back through! It's disappointing to lose so many beautiful critters. Moving really sucks, I've lost more coral that way than to anything else. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
teenyreef
55 minutes ago, Merthynia said:

These pictures are hard to look back through! It's disappointing to lose so many beautiful critters. Moving really sucks, I've lost more coral that way than to anything else. 

I know how you feel! It's just part of the ups and downs of reefing but it's hard to look back at old pictures. 

But it also does give a little encouragement to try again/harder 🙂

PS: welcome back! :flower:

• Like 3
Merthynia
2 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I know how you feel! It's just part of the ups and downs of reefing but it's hard to look back at old pictures. 

But it also does give a little encouragement to try again/harder 🙂

PS: welcome back! :flower:

Thanks Teeny! Your reefs have always been such an inspiration of mine! I have no idea how you manage to pack so much life into your tanks! 

🙂 I can't wait to have a nice lush reef to watch again! 

• Like 1
kimberbee
23 hours ago, Merthynia said:

Moving really does suck! I lost all my sps, and overall about half my coral livestock when we moved. I hope your tank bounces back soon!

• Like 2
Merthynia
2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Moving really does suck! I lost all my sps, and overall about half my coral livestock when we moved. I hope your tank bounces back soon!

Thank you, I'm sorry to hear that you had the same issues! I think now that I'm going to be taking closer care of it, it will thrive a lot better. I didn't have the heart to do much for a long time since I lost so much. I just have to beat back the hair algae!

The tank honestly already looks 1000% better. I switched my older Tide for the newer version with Bluefish. I've been living here since last July and just hadn't switched it back yet until today. I also switched my mp10 to reefcrest on the 2nd to lowest setting. It was originally on lagoon mode. 

I need to get some peroxide for a few zoa dips, hopefully I can salvage even more of the frags. I'm really worried that the grandis paly's are a complete loss though. You can see them in the pictures above in the background of the zoas. 

• Like 3
Merthynia

Wishlist for the tank:

• A nice Scoly, doesn't have to be a large one
  • a very small plate coral, 1.5-2" or so
  • plate.thumb.jpg.eb0378449aa7bd8239f69418c9812b85.jpg
  • Grandis Palys
  • Miami Vice Zoanthids
  • BamBam Zoanthids
  • Rhodactis mushrooms
  • Blasto merlettis
  • Mango Tango Zoanthids
  • Petroglyph Zoanthids
  • CC Pink Constellation Palys
  • Zoas and Palys, they don't particularly have to be named ones
  • Possibly one small torch or frogspawn, but undecided on this
  • Acans maybe WAY down the line
  • imageproxy.thumb.jpg.3205e47bf28908acdaae3d1ff9865dc6.jpg
  • If anyone knows what these zoas/palys are, I would love to have them back in my tank. They were my absolute favorite and I've never been able to find them again.
  • Like 2
Merthynia

1073594858_5.3.30topdown.thumb.jpg.fbc8dbe09449d67ada9ada5ce3ec8969.jpg

Top down shot before I fed heavily. Plan on another water change in the morning and plucking out more algae and dipping some zoas in peroxide! It's very strange not going into the hospital right now.

I think I'm also going to trim back the gorg and get rid of some of the parts attracting the algae.

• Like 2
Merthynia

Started dosing small amounts of Red Sea AB+. Some of the zoas are starting to open after their dips. Tomorrow will be another waterchange and manually removing more hair algae. Possibly another dip on the next set of frags! 🙂 Things are starting to look better after trimming the gorg and the peroxide application to the zoas.

• Like 1

My clownfish has taken a liking to the Rainbow Infusion colony I got from a local reefer. You can also see the Magicians and Gobstoppers from the same gentleman. Small lepto looks great, not sure on the name.

On the other hand, my beautiful photosynthetic sponge has deteriorated quite badly over the last couple weeks. It was getting really big when I did the first couple waterchanges. Big enough that it tore away from the back wall. I tried moving part of it to the side glass and reattaching the part still on the back, but most of the tissue has turned white or dissolved. It has made it through some tough spots before, so hopefully a small portion of it can hold on. I'll be pretty sad if it can't pull through since I think it's been with me almost the longest of anything in the tank. Would increased iodine, peroxide from cleaning the zoas, or perhaps the AB+ be causing it additional fits? Anyone with experience is welcome to give some input! 

• Like 1

I had a similar problem with mine years ago. No apparent reason for me either, they just turned white and dissolved. 

I would suspect maybe peroxide. Did you rinse the frags thoroughly after their peroxide dip? I've noticed problems if don't rinse or even just get careless. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I had a similar problem with mine years ago. No apparent reason for me either, they just turned white and dissolved. 

I would suspect maybe peroxide. Did you rinse the frags thoroughly after their peroxide dip? I've noticed problems if don't rinse or even just get careless. 

Yes, I'm guessing that is probably the culprit also. I rinsed them off, but not as well as I probably should have. Thank you! I'll hold off on more peroxide dips until it recovers (if it's going to). Overall the algae is looking a lot better than when I started. The biggest problem spot is probably on the gorg. I pick it off manually since the snails can't really get to it.

• Like 1

Picked out some hair algae today by hand and exchanged my purigen and chemipure blue. Found someone at the fish store that loves mushrooms as much as I do! I picked a couple up from her and took a tip about someone with rhodactis mushrooms! Fingers crossed I get to pick them up tomorrow!

The sponge has neither regained or lost any more tissue today.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Merthynia said:

Picked out some hair algae today by hand and exchanged my purigen and chemipure blue. Found someone at the fish store that loves mushrooms as much as I do! I picked a couple up from her and took a tip about someone with rhodactis mushrooms! Fingers crossed I get to pick them up tomorrow!

The sponge has neither regained or lost any more tissue today.

Yay Shrooms, cant wait to see pictures

• Like 1