ReefCleaners.org

Lime Box IM10

Merthynia

Hmm, he is pretty small. Hopefully he stays clear. I'll need to invest in one eventually. I also figured I'd probably have to get one of the shields, but I wanted to test it out first to see if I did.

I would order some just to have em around never hurts :)

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Hmm, I don't know much about either of those.

:o Should I have bought a sponge cover for the mp10? What if my shrimp gets sucked into it?! :scarry:

Comes with one! Don't fret

• Like 1

Comes with one! Don't fret

Oh thank goodness!! :lol:

I'm stoked for you. :)

Hopefully after I get some bills paid off I can start stocking everything again. I'm going to bring home some of my coral that my brother is holding onto for me. Hopefully they are still small enough to fit in the tanks!

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Oh thank goodness!! :lol:

Yep!!! They all come with a cord hanging/support kit (USE IT. OR YOUR FANCY MP10 WILL GET BUMPED AND SHATTER ON THE FLOOR) and the sponge.

I actually use the Vortech Sponge as a method of filtration in my tank. I just wash it once a week in the sink and get a bunch of lovely brown goo off of it :)

• Like 1

Yep!!! They all come with a cord hanging/support kit (USE IT. OR YOUR FANCY MP10 WILL GET BUMPED AND SHATTER ON THE FLOOR) and the sponge.

I actually use the Vortech Sponge as a method of filtration in my tank. I just wash it once a week in the sink and get a bunch of lovely brown goo off of it :)

Interesting. Shouldn't you wash it in dirty tank water though instead? That way you don't have a spike in nitrates from all those bacteria dying off? I know doing exactly that is what nuked one of my freshwater tanks.

HarryPotter

Interesting. Shouldn't you wash it in dirty tank water though instead? That way you don't have a spike in nitrates from all those bacteria dying off? I know doing exactly that is what nuked one of my freshwater tanks.

What?

The amount of nitrate processing bacteria on the sponge is minimal. The bacteria in/on your rocks, sand, and filtration media will do that.

Changing/washing the sponge is the same as changing filter floss; I'm sure you've done that before!

• Like 1

What?

The amount of nitrate processing bacteria on the sponge is minimal. The bacteria in/on your rocks, sand, and filtration media will do that.

Changing/washing the sponge is the same as changing filter floss; I'm sure you've done that before!

The difference is that I take my filter floss out and throw it away so that the dead bacteria aren't left in the tank. You are killing the bacteria and then putting them back in the tank.

Just my thoughts. You'd be safer to wash it out in the old tank water to avoid killing the bacteria. you'd still get the grime out...but with less bioload post cleaning.

HarryPotter

The difference is that I take my filter floss out and throw it away so that the dead bacteria aren't left in the tank. You are killing the bacteria and then putting them back in the tank.

Well I'm briefly (Just using fresh water- no soap or Chlorine) washing 99% of the detritus off of it and then putting it back in. Sure there may be a tiny bit of detritus left on it after, but not much!

Like the water runs dark brown with poo first, and then I wash it until it runs clear. Then i pop it back on; I don't see where the die-off is!

HarryPotter

The die off is from the freshwater. Same reason (basically) that we do freshwater dips for corals. To kill off things that need saltwater to survive.

Right but as one handles the sponge under flow 99% of that comes off

I hear what you're saying, that there may be some bacteria left on the sponge that are reintroduced into the tank. However given that so much of them were washed down the drain, I think there is an infinitesmal effect.

Im going to look into it more online- now I'm intrigued :)

• Like 1

Right but as one handles the sponge under flow 99% of that comes off

I hear what you're saying, that there may be some bacteria left on the sponge that are reintroduced into the tank. However given that so much of them were washed down the drain, I think there is an infinitesmal effect.

Im going to look into it more online- now I'm intrigued :)

Like I said, just my opinion. I also keep much smaller tanks than you so the impact would be much larger. Regardless, you technically would be saving money (or your parents) even though not much by just using the old tank water you are taking out for your waterchange anyway. Killing two birds with one stone and possibly reducing a small amount of a spike. With the large amount of rocks/sand in your tank I doubt it even registers on the tests, but like I said...smaller tank...more cautious.

• Like 1

It has a subtle green hue to it when I look at it closely under the lights! :happy: How are your nems?

All my nems are doing great!! I hope your little stick starts to grow!!

• Like 2

All my nems are doing great!! I hope your little stick starts to grow!!

I'm sure it will very soon. I'm not sure how to get a picture of the green tips on it, but it is coloring up nicely!

• Like 1

The bloodshot zoas are still not opening. I'll give them another day before attempting a different dip. I don't have any Bayer, what else do people like to use? I've checked these out during the night, but I haven't seen anything on them.

The bloodshot zoas are still not opening. I'll give them another day before attempting a different dip. I don't have any Bayer, what else do people like to use? I've checked these out during the night, but I haven't seen anything on them.

Got zoa troubles darlin?

I use all out,which essentially is aloe and bayer but works well all the same. Where's the zoas located?

• Like 1

Got zoa troubles darlin?

I use all out,which essentially is aloe and bayer but works well all the same. Where's the zoas located?

Yes! :wacko: They are currently on the sandbed not touching anything else. They were big and beautiful the first few days, since then they have been closed up tight! I used Reef dip from seachem.

• Like 1

Yes! :wacko: They are currently on the sandbed not touching anything else. They were big and beautiful the first few days, since then they have been closed up tight! I used Reef dip from seachem.

You got any little crabs or shrimp that may be picking at them?

• Like 1

You got any little crabs or shrimp that may be picking at them?

I have two little zebra hermits, my skunk cleaner and a VERY tiny porcelain crab. I've checked it multiple times throughout the day, but haven't seen any of them near it. I thought maybe the pods were bugging them, but even at night I don't see anything. Do zoas ever shed? I haven't seen this before, but it looks like a very thin layer is sloughing off...not in a way that it looks like they are dying, but rather...shedding? If that made sense...

• Like 1

I have two little zebra hermits, my skunk cleaner and a VERY tiny porcelain crab. I've checked it multiple times throughout the day, but haven't seen any of them near it. I thought maybe the pods were bugging them, but even at night I don't see anything. Do zoas ever shed? I haven't seen this before, but it looks like a very thin layer is sloughing off...not in a way that it looks like

they are dying, but rather...shedding? If that made sense...

I've never seen any of mine do that, hmmm,interesting, nothing came out with bayer?
  • Like 1

I've never tried a bayer dip. But nothing came out with the freshwater dip or the reef dip.

Move it up a bit see if it likes more flow, if it's something irritating it it may make I harder to settle on it with more flow

• Like 1

Move it up a bit see if it likes more flow, if it's something irritating it it may make I harder to settle on it with more flow

I'll give that a shot, it may help that shed fall off also if that is what it is. :happy: Thank you!

• Like 1