inTank Media Baskets

Newtybar's 65g 5ft Long and Shallow

Newtybar

This little bad boy came in yesterday. Bought it used off a fellow nano reefer...who didn't want to mess around with it and download the new firmware. I think every time the ethernet gets bumped it resets or something.

I just realized he was selling it for $120 shipped...and I thought I was smooth by offering $125 shipped (thought it was $120 excluding shipping). FAIL. hahaha.

20767457479_50a2fa5239_c.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Starting to wonder if my dimensions are not ideal for the Gyre - what would be a good way to test the flow on the other side. I see stuff swaying and see the gyre movment when particles come up in a water change....but still wondering if it is enough.

I think it would be difficult to actually measure it. The only thing I can think of would be putting something long and flexible and simply seeing how much it bends on one side and then how much it bends on the other side. Even then that's not very scientific. Like I said earlier in the thread, the issue is just with long tanks and having a shallow tank only amplifies the issue since you can't turn it way up without blowing sand everywhere. I would still suggest either getting a second gyre and putting it on the other side or simply so me other powerhead and putting it on the opposite side of the gyre along the bottom. That would keep the same direction of flow in the tank and you wouldn't have to worry about not having enough flow on the other side.

• 2 weeks later...

Added some pieces that I acquired from Reef-A-Palooza and my LFS (Iconic Reef in Huntington Beach). Slowly but surely the tank is chugging along.

Trying not to move too fast, but it is tough. Also, still some of brown algae bloom remaining, but it is dying off.

Here are some updated pictures...sorry for the phone camera quality, I will whip out my DSLR when I am not as lazy.

Here's a FTS from the side angle

21558668564_e8aa226288_h.jpg

A bright pink/orange bubble tip anemone (view from the back as it is facing the other way) I got from Iconic post for a good deal.

21993668588_4f82748d00_h.jpg

A maxima clam I got from Clammania at Reef A Palooza...odd how it is turquoise from top down but purple when viewing normally.

21558665114_ef78e2979b_h.jpg

22155304376_b4929cb278_h.jpg

• Like 5

I wake up this morning and notice there's a whizzing sound coming from the tank. I go put my ears against the LED light fans and determine that is not the cause of the sound. I also notice the water is really murky for some reason. Then I see it....flesh stringing out from the gyre and I know what happened.

The new anemone did not even survive one day. It crawled into the gyre and got chopped to bits. I did an emergency water change (only had 5 gallons on hand and had to get to work...so I couldn't make more) and sucked up the floating bits of flesh around the tank that I could find.

R.I.P little buddy. It was good while it lasted, however short.

22206705391_0cdc18d6a8_b.jpg

I wake up this morning and notice there's a whizzing sound coming from the tank. I go put my ears against the LED light fans and determine that is not the cause of the sound. I also notice the water is really murky for some reason. Then I see it....flesh stringing out from the gyre and I know what happened.

The new anemone did not even survive one day. It crawled into the gyre and got chopped to bits. I did an emergency water change (only had 5 gallons on hand and had to get to work...so I couldn't make more) and sucked up the floating bits of flesh around the tank that I could find.

R.I.P little buddy. It was good while it lasted, however short.

22206705391_0cdc18d6a8_b.jpg

Dang!!! sorry to hear about your BTA, it would've been saved in my tank :)

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that, it was a good looking bta. Hopefully this won't impact the rest of you stock.

Yeah that is my concern right now, that some of the toxic stuff is in the water column. I will do another 10g water change tonight. My wife told me to call in sick haha!

I would have called out, but then again I am still in college and can still do that sort of thing lol!

I never went to class. I think one semester I went literally 6 times. 4 times for midterms and finals and the other times to ask classmates when the tests were (if it changed from syllabus, that happens sometimes).

I never went to class. I think one semester I went literally 6 times. 4 times for midterms and finals and the other times to ask classmates when the tests were (if it changed from syllabus, that happens sometimes).

Thats awesome. Unfortunately, for most of my classes there is a three absent rule. You miss three days, fine. You miss four, your finale grade goes down a letter grade.

Anyway, back on topic... hehe

Thats awesome. Unfortunately, for most of my classes there is a three absent rule. You miss three days, fine. You miss four, your finale grade goes down a letter grade.

Anyway, back on topic... hehe

LOL I always hated classes like that. I had a very similar attendance record to what Newty posted. :lol:

• Like 1

Sorry about the nem buddy, I had the same thing happen to mine. Just be glad it didn't cause a tank crash like it did for me.

I don't know about that yet, since it happened this morning. Will know more this afternoon

• 3 weeks later...

Deciding to take things slowly, the clam I bought from reef a palooza never got comfortable, fell off the rock under shaded area and died. Found the fire shrimp picking off its remains.

Gunk continues to grow on the rocks. My monticap cracked in half when I tried to re glue it to the rock. I don't have the most delicate hands.

Hardware wise: I switched out the Gyre and mounted two Jebao RW8s with a wave controller on the overflow pointing the opposite direction facing each corner of the tank...I actually like the flow much better for this set up. Not to mention the near elimination of visible wires...I hate wires.

FTS 11.12.15:

22548831698_7e240b7c9f_c.jpg

Some additional tank shots:

22953731392_5912b98fb4_c.jpg

22941130896_49ecdfa4d2_c.jpg

22978275441_53b21bfe71_c.jpg

22574983409_2de1fc7529_c.jpg

22548780097_567ba82124_c.jpg

• Like 6

Gorgeous tank dude. I had to get another gyre to get the flow I wanted. Those jeabo pumps are pretty popular. I like the two duos you have as well, all in all nicely done.m;)

• Like 1

Will you be adding any other islands or is this how you will keep it?

I have a small flat island I may add to the right.

Feeling the need for more surface area right now.

I have a small flat island I may add to the right.

Feeling the need for more surface area right now.

I like what you have going on it give you time to slowly add more rocks. wish i started off minimal first maybe my next tank. Aquascapes are the death of me though.

Nothing wrong with slowing it down and letting it mature.. I keep learning that lesson the hard way too. In process of having another torch die on me right now ><

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Some vendors already started sales and I managed to snag this bad boy. A 8-10" Gigantea Carpet Anemone.

It came with a hitch hiker clown fish....I can't get it out as it keeps swimming behind the nem when I try to snag it...so now I have 3 (you can see him peeking out in the back). They seem to get along so far, but who knows how that will go.

The nem got up in the rock so I had to relocate all of the inhabitants. Flowerpot, hammer and torch.

22706181274_7b7b4989f7_o.jpg

• Like 8