Cultivated Reef

Justin Fox's Fluval Edge 2 - New Video Page 15!

justinfox

A guitar in one of the pictures ;) I was mainly trying to figure out what kind it was then realized it was a lefty. Thought it was a Schecter but I don't recognize the inlays in the frets.

Edit: Is it an Omen series from Schecter?

Well spotted! Yup its an Omen Series! I used to be a in a 3-piece grunge rock band back in the day, playing at pubs for $30 a night :lol: I've still kept most of my guitars though. A Gibson Flying V being my fave guitar, and more recently a few Fender Strats (as I'm not so metal anymore these days hahahaha).

• Like 1

Well spotted! Yup its an Omen Series! I used to be a in a 3-piece grunge rock band back in the day, playing at pubs for $30 a night :lol: I've still kept most of my guitars though. A Gibson Flying V being my fave guitar, and more recently a few Fender Strats (as I'm not so metal anymore these days hahahaha).

I have a MIM strat - can't wait to get rid of it, lol. I really like Ibanez and PRS guitars. Gibsons are amazing, too, but the les paul is just so damn heavy! I really like the sound Opeth has when they play without distortion on their latest few albums - super rich and warm sounds. It feels luscious and delicious. I want that sound, lol. I'm tired of the single coil tinny sounds. Maybe it's just the crappy cheap strat?

• Like 2

Just been hanging around your blog (edit: block? I wish. Damn autocorrect)

Nice work, nice pictures, nice cars, nice women, nice stuff ...

Man everytime I see a cool artist lifestyle like this I think my office life s ucks ?

It's not that bad ? but if I would hop on a skateboard again everybody around me would think I'm going crazy and would send me to mid life crisis hospital ?

Looking forward to the tank!

• Like 2

I'm tired of the single coil tinny sounds. Maybe it's just the crappy cheap strat?

Nah that's what strats are like. Tinny! Great for jamming over more electronic stuff funk styes with a wah wah though. :)

Just been hanging around your blog (edit: block? I wish. Damn autocorrect)

Nice work, nice pictures, nice cars, nice women, nice stuff ...

Man everytime I see a cool artist lifestyle like this I think my office life s ucks ?

It's not that bad ? but if I would hop on a skateboard again everybody around me would think I'm going crazy and would send me to mid life crisis hospital ?

Looking forward to the tank!

Forever young! I just turned 40 recently, hit the skate park the other day, damn I'm unfit!

So guys, I've been patient hey... and it's driving me nuts!!! My ammonia reading is almost at zero, and nitrites are spiking. This has been such a long cycle!!! I'm seeing algae on the glass and rocks now, we're getting there!

In the meantime I've been visiting this forum daily, and checking out other threads as well as reading up on a few stickied threads, and stalking Metrokat a little (seems like she's the star of the show around here!) :wub::P

I thought I'd share some of my previous set-ups just to tide the time whilst my tank cycles.

2173922281_ca2a803b94_o.jpg

Old school planted tank.

5208413890_0e4a98bb25_b.jpgSmall ADA tank set up in the same spot that my current tank is.

5851706855_5b5b3bd565_b.jpg

Another freshie.

5852257882_f0774538c6_b.jpg

Sadly I have no internet hosted pics of many more tanks I've had. I especially miss my 8ft predator tank which was a dark thing, with a community of heavy hitting thugs (alligator gar, arowana, tiger shovelnose, ghost knife and a bichir. Also had a lot of African as well as Central and South America Cichlid set-ups. I'll dig up those pictures one day, they're on Syquest and Zip Drives for those who remember?! Haha!

OK, back to waiting for my tank to cycle... :mellow:

• Like 5

you sir have had some ridiculously awesome tanks. that first planted tank pic you posted reminds me so much of what beautiful planted tanks used to look like. They're trending a bit differently now but man that looks awesome.

Can't wait to see your nano take off, you've got some great talent.

Cheers Hey!!!

Took some photos. Definitely going through the ugly phase right now but my CUC are loving it, the turbo snails especially who are at least trying to do a pretty good job of keeping the back glass clean.

algae.jpg

FTS.

shrimp3.jpgBig guy!

hermit.jpg

Added 2 tiny little hermit crabs which I found in a rock pool out at Little Bay today.

topdown.jpg

Top down shot. Hammer coral is hating life, but hanging in there!

• Like 1
Cencalfishguy56

Nah that's what strats are like. Tinny! Great for jamming over more electronic stuff funk styes with a wah wah though. :)

Forever young! I just turned 40 recently, hit the skate park the other day, damn I'm unfit!

So guys, I've been patient hey... and it's driving me nuts!!! My ammonia reading is almost at zero, and nitrites are spiking. This has been such a long cycle!!! I'm seeing algae on the glass and rocks now, we're getting there!

In the meantime I've been visiting this forum daily, and checking out other threads as well as reading up on a few stickied threads, and stalking Metrokat a little (seems like she's the star of the show around here!) :wub::P

I thought I'd share some of my previous set-ups just to tide the time whilst my tank cycles.

2173922281_ca2a803b94_o.jpg

Old school planted tank.

5208413890_0e4a98bb25_b.jpgSmall ADA tank set up in the same spot that my current tank is.

5851706855_5b5b3bd565_b.jpg

Another freshie.

5852257882_f0774538c6_b.jpg

Sadly I have no internet hosted pics of many more tanks I've had. I especially miss my 8ft predator tank which was a dark thing, with a community of heavy hitting thugs (alligator gar, arowana, tiger shovelnose, ghost knife and a bichir. Also had a lot of African as well as Central and South America Cichlid set-ups. I'll dig up those pictures one day, they're on Syquest and Zip Drives for those who remember?! Haha!

OK, back to waiting for my tank to cycle... :mellow:

Sounds like the predator tank I used to have! Used to drop like 30 feeders In and watch them go to town haha but awesome tanks well done!

• Like 1

Top down shot is great.

Was it right through the glass of the edge? That is the coolest thing about the design.

Yup it sure was!

Tested the water again this morning and my ammonia is FINALLY reading 0! Nitrites are through the roof now, way beyond the test kit chart. All shrimp/snails/hermits look to be doing fine though, so I'm going to hold off on a water change and just hope this nitrite spike ends in a few days.

I'm still waiting for my VorTech MP10 to come in the mail. Also a smaller heater to shove in the HOB and also still waiting for my inTank media basket, but once they're both here I'm thinking that my set-up is pretty much done in terms of equipment.

Things I have researched to death, and given up on:

- I've decided against a sump.

- I have looked into skimmers, but have decided a weekly water change with natural sea water will negate the need for a skimmer.

- I've got a Tunze ATO here, new in box, but have decided against using it as evaporation really isn't much of an issue with this tank, and topping up manually is a breeze to do when it's feeding time/etc.

• Like 2

Waiting for the cycle is always the hardest part! I'm not looking forward to the cycle with my new tank at all. Hoping to rush it along with using some water from my current tank and the live rock from my sump.

• Like 1

intank_ac20.jpg

inTank media basket on left, stock basket on the right.

lolly.jpg

It came with a clown fish sticker and a fishy lolly (I was confused initially thinking it was fish food?!), random!

My inTank media basket came in the mail today. Lovely little thing. Very well made, nicely designed too. It holds a lot less media than the flimsy stock basket, but the flow through the media is bang on now!

• Like 4

I was adding some filter floss to the HOB filter this morning, and the tank almost flooded! Common issue that I'm going to have to get used to with the Fluval Edge as the waterline is super high. IE: You've really got to take out a little bit of water every single time you want to work on the tank.

My Hydor Koralia in the tank is there temporarily until my MP10 gets here, but water dripped down the cable and right into my powerboard causing sparks and smoke! I acted quickly enough and turned power off at the mains, but it's a lesson learned. ALWAYS HAVE A DRIP LOOP! It's one of the first lessons you learn when starting an aquarium, so I'm a little disappointed in myself for being so foolish.

Crisis avoided though! I've now mounted the powerboard up high. In future I'll buy or build a cabinet back there to house fish foods etc.

19278534315_b0cf2c0327_b.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good!!! I can't wait to see what you do with this

Cheers StellaBlue!

I'm still kicking myself for not investing in one of Neill's Marine-Pac-3 units. Especially considering it's made specifically for this tank, holds more volume, hides the heater, holds and hides a skimmer and can even hold and hide a pH probe and run an ATO too.

Investing in the lighting system I have and the tiny little inTank media basket is making less and less sense, and researching ATO's and skimmers which I just can't fit/add to the tank the way it is, is just getting frustrating!

I did set out to create a simple reef though, and had secretly (not so secretly now) planned to just go to town with an interesting xenia only tank, or hammer only tank. I think I'll still go this route with the current set-up but I'd be tempted to dabble with SPS again if I ever upgrade to the Marine-Pac-3 (which I still might do at some point!).

• Like 1

Cheers StellaBlue!

I'm still kicking myself for not investing in one of Neill's Marine-Pac-3 units. Especially considering it's made specifically for this tank, holds more volume, hides the heater, holds and hides a skimmer and can even hold and hide a pH probe and run an ATO too.

Investing in the lighting system I have and the tiny little inTank media basket is making less and less sense, and researching ATO's and skimmers which I just can't fit/add to the tank the way it is, is just getting frustrating!

I did set out to create a simple reef though, and had secretly (not so secretly now) planned to just go to town with an interesting xenia only tank, or hammer only tank. I think I'll still go this route with the current set-up but I'd be tempted to dabble with SPS again if I ever upgrade to the Marine-Pac-3 (which I still might do at some point!).

This is interesting! I've never heard of the Marine Pac 3! My husband has the 6 gallon fluval edge - would this work there? Or is it just for your model?

HarryPotter

This is interesting! I've never heard of the Marine Pac 3! My husband has the 6 gallon fluval edge - would this work there? Or is it just for your model?

Crazy cool and powerful (Mame Skimmer, NanoBox, etc) but is over $600. I can't understand spending 10x the cost of the tank on an accessory- why not buy a custom 34g Shallow Starphire tank instead?

Crazy cool and powerful (Mame Skimmer, NanoBox, etc) but is over $600. I can't understand spending 10x the cost of the tank on an accessory- why not buy a custom 34g Shallow Starphire tank instead?

There's no difference at all to this and someone buying a stock Honda Civic and pouring $100k into it to make it a 9 second car down the drag strip! I know a fair few people who can afford Lamborghini's but have a passion for VW Golfs and they turn their ordinary every Golf's into something very special. Same kind of thinking here. A little left of field, a bit more of a challenge, something unique. Definitely not for everyone but not everyone's the same, right?! :)

• Like 2

I have looked at those retro kits before (they pop up as ads for me here from time to time), probably one of the nicest, most complete retro kits I have seen for a tank like this. I almost considered setting one of these tanks up in the past (found a used one really cheap) but as it would have been a budget build the cost of the retro alone was double what I wanted to spend on the entire build.

Keep in mind that over here, the $600 for the retro is quite reasonably priced. Our hardware costs on average can be 50% to 100% what you pay in the states. But yes, it is an expensive option. My new 55G tank cost me a little more than this retro haha.

• Like 2

It is a bit steep, but if you subtract the light and skimmer you get sump, shelves, and plumbing for roughly 300 (as Neill kindly shows on the price tag).

I figured I could have DIYed it for 100, but with lots of time input (which I don't have), trial and error, without that sweet overflow assembly, and probably at the same build quality and super duper slick desig.

Soooo, not that bad a deal at all.

• Like 3

There's no difference at all to this and someone buying a stock Honda Civic and pouring $100k into it to make it a 9 second car down the drag strip! I know a fair few people who can afford Lamborghini's but have a passion for VW Golfs and they turn their ordinary every Golf's into something very special. Same kind of thinking here. A little left of field, a bit more of a challenge, something unique. Definitely not for everyone but not everyone's the same, right?! :)

Actually, here's how I see it! I actually think the $600 is a pretty good deal. No matter what tank we start with, most likely we're going to mod it (lights, skimmer, media basket, pump, etc. etc. If you bought all those things separately, it would be way more than $600 - so one stop shopping and you get it all for less. Good quality stuff too in this package.

• Like 1