Coral Vue Hydros

Justin Fox's Fluval Edge 2 - New Video Page 15!

justinfox

Holy crap. How did I miss this thread? Jason, your tank is amazing!

I have a Fluval Edge that I'm trying to turn into a frag tank and you just sold me on the UltraBrite LED setup.

Is your LED full spectrum? Also, how many watts is it?

Cheers cheers!!! I went for their top of the line option, but they have since mailed me to let me know the light is even more powerful and amazing now!

PS: Been a while since updates. The tank is doing great, super stable. My peppermint shrimp wiped out my star polyps, now he's eating my orange fungia! I feed pretty heavy too... so it's not that he's starving, he's just a bastard!!!

Apart from that, all good!!!

In other news, here's some fishy art which my ex-flame Nanami has done... on a building!!! Amazing! So proud of her!

nanami_cowdroy_westfields_chatswood_outs

nanami_cowdroy_westfields_chatswood_wall

nanami_westfield.jpg?format=2500w

Oh, I also took gorgeous Madeleine down to one of my fave rock pools down the road from my house:

madeleine_17.jpg?format=2500w

madeleine_20.jpg?format=2500w

madeleine_19.jpg?format=2500w

• Like 7
  • 1 month later...

Long time no update! Tank is doing well, but lighting is starting to become an issue. The light is so off centre/towards the back that a lot of corals are living in shade now. Now quite sure what to do about it, might just let things be.

damage.jpg

I had a MASSIVE issue. I packed the filter with too much media, and over the span of a day the edge leaked, and it sits on MDF board, so the entire tank almost fell through the air-conditioning chute it sits on!!!

edge2.jpg

Now on the kitchen bench!

• Like 6
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Long time between updates!

I've broken down the frag tank, and this weekend I'm breaking down the Nuvo and I'll just be running the Edge from now on. I took a little break recently for 8 nights, when I got back I further neglected the tank, one hammer died, and soon after more died. I'd dropped the ball on my big weekly water changes. Bad bad bad.

Running JUST the edge will be great though. I'll miss the fish from the Nuvo, they will be handed over to the local fish store today.

Will post photos soon once everything from the nuvo settles into the edge.

• Like 2

Yeah, seems most people do ebb and flow in the hobby, but it's like cocaine :D

no cocaine is cheaper ;)

Justin if you have no new tank photos....feel free to keep the lovely women pics coming......thanks

• Like 4

HAHA! CHEEKY MOTHERS!!!!!!!!!!

I did manage to get away for an 8 night stay in Koh Samui with Star recently. Love love loved it! Some photos:

fightingfish-640x428.jpg

star_sunset_kohsaui4-640x428.jpg

star_bath_4-640x958.jpg

oyster-640x428.jpg

star_bar-640x958.jpg

star_daybed4-640x428.jpg

star_jetty-640x428.jpg

hermits-640x428.jpg

zen-640x428.jpg

braincoral-640x428.jpg

coralrubble-640x428.jpg

crab-640x428.jpg

sland-640x428.jpg

• Like 4

I always follow your adventures on your own blog and the Zen blog Justin, looks like you had an awesome time in Ko Samui! I was in Phuket in the middle of February, I just love that part of the world. I want to try and get to mainland Thailand and Ko Samui when I can.

• Like 1

I always follow your adventures on your own blog and the Zen blog Justin, looks like you had an awesome time in Ko Samui! I was in Phuket in the middle of February, I just love that part of the world. I want to try and get to mainland Thailand and Ko Samui when I can.

Only bad thing is the flight there! Man I can't stand long plane trips!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Only bad thing is the flight there! Man I can't stand long plane trips!!!!!!!

Haha, yeah, I get bored easily and have trouble sleeping on planes (being 6' 4" doesn't help either lol). But the 7 hours of flying to get to Thailand is nothing compared to doing 15 hours to LA or 24 hours to London.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
HighlyCaffeinated

Hi Mate,

On the off chance you're still around, I'd like to say I love your work.

Firstly, Zen Garage is great, before moving back to Sydney I was a little in the scene, had an old RS Liberty pushing ~200KW - ATW (depending on how much boost she was running at the time). Then I got into bikes :) Now I can break the state speed limit in first gear!

But back on topic, this post has inspired me to pull the Edge out of the garage and see if I can get it looking anywhere near as good as yours. I've currently got the live rock cycling and hoping you pop back in sometime soon so I can quiz you on a thing or two. (If not I might stalk you on your own site).

Cheers

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all, been a LONG time! 1 year and a bit! 

My house is falling apart, literally. I had a handyman over recently to fix up a few things in the house and whilst I had him I thought I'd FINALLY move the tank back to where it belongs (fish tanks aren't the cleanest things and really shouldn't ever be in a kitchen, bad feng shui!).

tank.thumb.jpg.6faff9ba810424afdfe2e039622a75ac.jpg

Not only have I got a new shelf waterproof shelf to put the tank on, I've also got a powerpoint so I don't have to run ugly cables around the wall to where the power is.

tank_nocables.thumb.jpg.06172a5282fdd4025621f7c5e86aad2e.jpg

You can see in this picture where the power cables used to have to wrap around to get to power (frag tank used to sit on that bench with toys on it now).

Phone video for now. 

So a mate was over last week and he helped me move the tank (it's an awkward move which I did solo last time, but made a LOT easier with help!). Man the tank was dirty as. SO much gunk in and around the filter, salt build up all over the insides and outsides of the tank and the back wall of the aquarium hadn't been cleaned in forever.

I've lost the hammers, the cat and the acan, my peppermint vanished and aiptasia has appeared (funny that). I'm also down to one turbo snail from 3 (from memory) and I can't see any hermit crabs. The clowns are doing awesome, so too my cleaner shrimp which I never expected to live this long in my hands. The fungia is still around (makes me want more!), some zoas, the 2 nassarius snails are well, so too the huge brittle star under the rockwork. The leather is still there and he's HUGE. He's been closed up for ages as the finger leather next to him got so large (literally took over the tank!) that it stung the leather so bad on one side that the leather started dying so I've moved the finger leather to the other side next to the pump, which it doesn't like, and now it's 1/3rd the size and staying that way for the moment.

The star polyps have covered a whole lot of the rock which is rad, the monty is holding in there (I heard they were tough but damn they're tough!). Xenia tends to get out of control at times, but my big water changes tend to cull it back a little, till it comes on strong again (in all sorts of strange places too, it's now finally growing on the back glass which is what I always wanted it to do!).

I've spent some time cleaning up the corners of the front glass (it was a mess), but have decided to let the back wall and left wall (as its up against the wall) go for now. Looks ugly as but I have some plans in mind which might just let me leave those walls unattended, but still look good/interesting. The Two Little Fishies NanoMag I had on the tank had rusted out so bad you wouldn't believe. I'm sure my phosphates are through the roof! I've bought another one though as I've tried a fair few nano mag cleaners and none have been better/stronger than this one.

I've been doing 20 litre water changes every 3-4 months on this tank, yup, SUPER lazy. Goes to show how strong everything in the tank is (though I don't feed heavy, never have). I'll get water changes back up to bi-weekly at the very least. I ordered a couple of peppermint shrimp from Reef Secrets in hope that they will rid the tank of aiptasia, and I also got me a couple of turbo snails. I ordered 2 huge ones by accident, but that's probably AOK as there's a shit tonne of algae on the back wall!

More updates/photos soon!

PS: Some shots of the tank still in the kitchen a few months ago when I got to shoot a friend Bettina Banks in my kitchen (as she was on the TV show My Kitchen Rules this year!). 

bettina_banks_floor_mkr_mykitchenrules_j

bettina_banks_floor_mkr_mykitchenrules_j

• Like 3

Man pretty annoyed. Had that gorgeous orange fungia for 2 years, peppermint shrimp go in and overnight my fungia has been murdered! Sheeeeiiiiiiiii!!!!!!! Grrrrrrrr. 

PS: Forgot to mention, the tank has been running for over a year without a heater! Turns out it just wasn't plugged in at all. That probably explains the loss of some of the more sensitive corals (torches/hammers), maybe. 

PPS: Had a crazy shoot yesterday and the tank made cameo appearances in a fair few shots so will upload some fun shots soon!

• Like 3