Cultivated Reef

NanoGeek's JBJ RL 45!

NanoGeek

Nice deal on the RW-4s! Placement depends on how you like the flow- but personally I believe that with the returns coming from the back, the powerhead a might be better on the sides for erratic flow.

It's funny- I find corals so much easier than fish! I had corals in my tank almost immediately since they don't prodice any significant waste, unlike fish.

Yes, I have an Ecotech Battery Backup that can last me 72 hours (36 with the MP40). However that only works with Vortech pumps, so your Jebao ones would be incompatible.

So you think I would good to get a large glass mat battery, trickle charger and a power inverter and a battery air pump? Just trying to get an idea of what has to be powered up during an outage, and what I can get by without. I could probably come up with a solar panel to charge a battery during the day also.

I also ordered a couple of the red sea test kits so I can make sure my water is up to par before I put any corals in.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HarryPotter

So you think I would good to get a large glass mat battery, trickle charger and a power inverter and a battery air pump? Just trying to get an idea of what has to be powered up during an outage, and what I can get by without. I could probably come up with a solar panel to charge a battery during the day also.

Battery air pump might be all you need- two "C" batteries last 36 hours.

I suppose you don't have a generator? Bummer.

For an short term outage in a fish-only tank, you just need to maintain oxygenated water I believe. If it's more than a day or two some sort of water change might be neccesary to compensate for no filterstion

Nice! They will calm down once they get used to the tank. Mine never leave their torch unless i'm feeding lol. They're always swimming in it and very protective over it. Yea you can place them anywhere, or just scrape the coralline into the refugium. Scoly's are sweet! Maybe get a few start corals before you dig deep into your pockets just to test the waters. How are the clowns doing today?

Hey wretched, how much does your tank evaporate each day? I have been keeping the glass lid on mine and when I was topping off manually I was putting in under a liter a day. I filled up my ato reservoir a week ago with 5 gallons and its still over half full. I am having problems getting my ph to rise, it stays between 7.8 and 8.0. I put in marine buffer once and it came up to 8.3, then I never used it again after something I read online about the borate being in it not being too good.

Should I keep my lid off? Its only on there to keep my kids, 3yr old and 5yr old from putting stuff in there. I might have to figure something out if it will help with my ph.

HarryPotter

Hey wretched, how much does your tank evaporate each day? I have been keeping the glass lid on mine and when I was topping off manually I was putting in under a liter a day. I filled up my ato reservoir a week ago with 5 gallons and its still over half full. I am having problems getting my ph to rise, it stays between 7.8 and 8.0. I put in marine buffer once and it came up to 8.3, then I never used it again after something I read online about the borate being in it not being too good.

Should I keep my lid off? Its only on there to keep my kids, 3yr old and 5yr old from putting stuff in there. I might have to figure something out if it will help with my ph.

Keep em off or make a BRS mesh top :)

How did I miss all this action? Sorry for short post, but i'm at work... When I get home i'll catch up brother!! Haven't forgot about you!

Ok so, ditch the glass lid time yesterday! As Harry suggested make one yourself out of mesh... I don't even use a lid to be honest. It's open top completely. My tank evaporates probably 5g a week but its a good thing. I have lots of surface movement and gas is being exchanged which yields a higher pH and cooler temperatures. That glass lid thats provided is just a heat trap. If you open your windows, get fresh air in the room that will also help pH. Running a reverse light cycle(CFL bulb at night for a refugium) will also raise pH(I dont do this.)

Your skimmer is also something you can do. Run your airline tubing from your skimmer to outside the window or somehow outside. That will pull in fresh air to your tank

I have been out of town for the last 4 days, I had someone here at my house to watch the cats and feed the fish. I came back to this

20150713_150418.jpg

Is this diatoms? On my way now to get 10 gallons of water for a waterchange since I didnt get to do it Friday. Planning now to order a cuc from reef cleaners. My rodi filter shoukd be delivered today. I also have had my lid off the last 4 days and still no rise in my ph.

Good aquascape you have so far! I love how you have a high point to the left, then a lower one, and the lowest one. Gonna look sick when you get it filled up with corals. Make sure to watch your top-offs with the lid off as well. Keep up the good work.

Thanks charnelhouse, I thought they were diatoms but just wanted to be sure.

Thanks Aquatic! I put a few hours into the scape building it and gluing it before I set the tank up. My last tank looked like a big pile of rocks so thats what I was trying to stay away from. Cant wait to get some corals in it! I have a jbj ato thats doing a great job of keeping my water level.

So I did a 10 gallon water change, changed the filter floss and cleaned the sandbed. Will probably order a cuc tomorrow. Rodi unit came today, so I picked up a bucket of red sea pro salt, but I have to get the rodi unit hooked up.

Thanks charnelhouse, I thought they were diatoms but just wanted to be sure.

Thanks Aquatic! I put a few hours into the scape building it and gluing it before I set the tank up. My last tank looked like a big pile of rocks so thats what I was trying to stay away from. Cant wait to get some corals in it! I have a jbj ato thats doing a great job of keeping my water level.

So I did a 10 gallon water change, changed the filter floss and cleaned the sandbed. Will probably order a cuc tomorrow. Rodi unit came today, so I picked up a bucket of red sea pro salt, but I have to get the rodi unit hooked up.

Nice. I also use RCSP. Love it. I run @ 1.025 though =)

I need to head to the LFS and get a CUC as well... Lazy me.

Nice. I also use RCSP. Love it. I run @ 1.025 though =)

I need to head to the LFS and get a CUC as well... Lazy me.

I think I am just going to order the 45 gallon package from reef cleaners, its 42.00 plus shipping. Was at the lfs store today they would have charged me double, but they did price match the salt for me which was nice.

Is it normal for my water to be a little cloudy from the diatoms?

HarryPotter

I think I am just going to order the 45 gallon package from reef cleaners, its 42.00 plus shipping. Was at the lfs store today they would have charged me double, but they did price match the salt for me which was nice.

Is it normal for my water to be a little cloudy from the diatoms?

Reef Cleaners is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get it :)

Cuc ordered from reef cleaners, getting 42 Dwarf Ceriths,19 Nassarius,22 Florida Ceriths, and 17 Small to Medium Nerites.

Seems like alot, will any of these climb the glass and out the top with no lid?

HarryPotter

Cuc ordered from reef cleaners, getting 42 Dwarf Ceriths,19 Nassarius,22 Florida Ceriths, and

Wow that's a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually I'm not sure if that's a lot. I only have like 6 snails total, but that's because my hermits killed the other 10. Either way, make sure to have enough food for all of those!!!! Your sand and glass is going to sparkle

Wow that's a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually I'm not sure if that's a lot. I only have like 6 snails total, but that's because my hermits killed the other 10. Either way, make sure to have enough food for all of those!!!! Your sand and glass is going to sparkle

It seems like a ton of snails, but thats what I got for 42 bucks, well 39 after a 5 dollar discount and state sales tax. (Their 45 gallon package) They are located up in Stuart which is about an hour north of me. Hopefully with priority mail I should have them within one day. If I would have known they were that close I would have tried to stop by today when I came back home from Orlando.

And yes, I cant wait for my glass, sand, and rock to sparkle again.

HarryPotter

It seems like a ton of snails, but thats what I got for 42 bucks, well 39 after a 5 dollar discount and state sales tax. (Their 45 gallon package) They are located up in Stuart which is about an hour north of me. Hopefully with priority mail I should have them within one day. If I would have known they were that close I would have tried to stop by today when I came back home from Orlando.

And yes, I cant wait for my glass, sand, and rock to sparkle again.

My only reccomondation would be to search local for Trochus snails. IMO they are the absolute best- fastest, cool, eat a TON, etc. my little 6 have been the only CUC and the tank isn't looking half bad!

My only reccomondation would be to search local for Trochus snails. IMO they are the absolute best- fastest, cool, eat a TON, etc. my little 6 have been the only CUC and the tank isn't looking half bad!

I actually wanted some of those and they have them. Only thing is they say they require express shipping which would have added the cost of the snails plus 18 dollars to me. Would have made them almost 6 bucks each. Im sure I can find them cheaper at the lfs, unless I email them and ask if they can add 5 or so with priority shipping since Im so close.

HarryPotter

I actually wanted some of those and they have them. Only thing is they say they require express shipping which would have added the cost of the snails plus 18 dollars to me. Would have made them almost 6 bucks each. Im sure I can find them cheaper at the lfs, unless I email them and ask if they can add 5 or so with priority shipping since Im so close.

Maloney told me that I could do Trochus or even Hermits using the cheaper shipping since I'm in Florida. You should ask him about that

Maloney told me that I could do Trochus or even Hermits using the cheaper shipping since I'm in Florida. You should ask him about that

Think 5 trochus would be enough with everything else?

HarryPotter

Think 5 trochus would be enough with everything else?

Definitely. IMO all those cerith snails are overkill, but I'm sure John Maloney knows what he's doing :)

While you're at it, you might want to mention that the tank is rimless as well and see what he says regarding if theyll climb out

Definitely. IMO all those cerith snails are overkill, but I'm sure John Maloney knows what he's doing :)

While you're at it, you might want to mention that the tank is rimless as well and see what he says regarding if theyll climb out

Sounds like overkill to me also, but what do I know lol. They are the cleaner experts, I'm not. But as of right now, they have tons to munch on

HarryPotter

Sounds like overkill to me also, but what do I know lol. They are the cleaner experts, I'm not. But as of right now, they have tons to munch on

Lol yeah and if they run out of food, you can trade some with a Floridian for some coral frags ;)

I order from Mr. Maloney frequently, just haven't picked up a proper CUC in about a year or so lol. Always buy a couple at a time from LFS. Shipping kills me in california.

Cuc shipped today! Cant wait to get them in. Now Im starting to see a few little green spots starting to grow on my rock. Also my water is a little cloudy. Not alot, but just enough to notice. Is this from the algea growth?

Archived