Pod Your Reef

Orangutran

Dec 9, 2017

39077263481_a0975e8fc1_z.jpg

Oct 25, 2016

30584925675_c41dac4044_c.jpg

HARDWARE:

Display: 29g placed in a built-in shelf in my living room (re-enforced w/ 2x4s)

Overflow: Glass-holes Super Nano (with teeth)

Wavemaker: MP10 original version with a dial knob bought a used Quiet Drive version

Lighting: Reef Breeders Photon24 AI Prime HD x 2 + AquaticLife 36" dual T5s

Sump: Rubber tub in the basement, with my return pump in an 8" high tupperware, so skimmer level is 8"

Skimmer: Reef Octopus 110 (upgraded to Aquatrance 1000s pump, huge difference!)

Reactor: TLF 150 running carbon only, no more GFO!

Additional Filtration: Filter floss below drain / MarinePure block

Return Pump: Jebao DCS 4000 pump

Heater: Neo-Therm 150w

ATO: SpectraPure Power Liquid Level Controller / Tom's Aqua-Lifter

RODI: AquasafeCanada (this is actually my buddies, on loan to me, I make water for him when he needs it because he lives in a condo)

Doser: Jebao DP4 dosing b-ionic alk/cal and magnesium

LIVESTOCK:

2 x Clowns called Sammy & Sammy

1 x Neon Goby called Stick

1 x Pink Streaked Wrassed called Mammal (LOL love this name!)

(All fish named by my daughter)

1 x Potters Angel named Lava Monster

CORALS:

Various Zoas - some named ones are: blue hornet, red hornet, sunny d's, rose nebula, pineapple express, eagle eyes, blondies

Duncan - Green one

Acan - It was sold as Aussie Ultra.. whatever that means ;)

Montipora Digitata - Forest Fire, Green, Red

Montipora plating type - Pokerstar, Sunset

Setosa

Teal Birdnest

Green Slimer

Cali Tort, Red Planet, Tricolor - These last 3 are new frags, hopefully they do well

Original Post (June 16, 2015):

EDIT: Forgot to mention the help and inspiration from this community! :) northgahillbilly for helping me with my shelf, and azdesertrat for plumbing help, just to name a couple that helped me get this build going!

If you count when I started collecting equipment, it has taken me over five years to get this thing set up! I started with a BC8 in 2008 and of course, we all know that's too small and the upgrade bug bit me right away, so I started planning my next tank. I got dry rock, mp10 (the original), skimmer, pump, reactor, light, etc, over the course of that time. I drilled the tank 2 years ago!

Anyway, life happens, things got in the way… like moving house and a kid. My BC8 crashed after 5 years, and I have been tankless in the last couple of years.

Here's the new setup...

18023324504_eefdaae26c_z.jpg29 gal. AGA aquarium. Not wet. by xiusun, on Flickr

Quick Equipment List:

Display: 29g placed in a built-in shelf in my living room (re-enforced, still a bit nervous)

Sump: 20L in the basement!

Light: Reef Breeders Photon24

Flow: MP10 (with new wetside)

Skimmer: Reef Octopus 110

Reactor: TLF 150

Return Pump: Mag 7 (Making funky sounds, good thing it's in the basement!)

ATO: Spectrapure

Thanks for looking!

• Like 4

So I have two equipment problems...

1. mp10 vibrating, like it's misaligned, but doesn't matter how I adjust it, it's just as bad!! This is with a brand new wetside, so I'm not sure if it's compatible. My mp10 is the old original one, and the wetside was just ordered recently...

2. Mag 7 worked for 1 min, then it started to make a grinding noise! Took it apart and everything looks in good shape...

Stupid set backs… Thinking of getting a rw4 and another Mag 7 while I try to fix the problem. I need the tank running and cycled before my in laws come for the summer. Then I won't have time to do anything!

Also, I got a couple of pieces of LR to seed my tank, and 1 piece has hydroids!!! Should I just chuck it? Damn this hobby! Self inflicted stress!

Keep an eye on the mag 7 to make sure it starts up again. They can get finicky about re-starting once they begin making that grinding noise. Sometimes a new impeller will fix it but not always. You don't want the electricity to go out and then not have the pump start when it comes back on.

• Like 2

Keep an eye on the mag 7 to make sure it starts up again. They can get finicky about re-starting once they begin making that grinding noise. Sometimes a new impeller will fix it but not always. You don't want the electricity to go out and then not have the pump start when it comes back on.

Thanks for the tip!!! :) These mag drives aren't too expensive but has good pressure needed to push water up 9' so I can't complain.

Even though I've had a tank for awhile, I'm still a newb when it comes to sumps and pumps and skimmers etc...

PS: I have followed your seahorse raising adventure!

• Like 2

I love mag drives for their durability. When I serviced tanks I used them to pump water from the brute cans I mixed salt water in so they saw a lot of stop and start service. I know they run hot and are not as efficient as other pumps but nothing else lasted like they did and like you said they muscle. I have a mag 9.5 in my own system. I bought it used in 2004 and it's still going strong.

Yes, raising seahorses is an adventure! I hope to try some more this winter. He is actually due any day now but those fry are promised to a store owner.

• Like 1

I love mag drives for their durability. When I serviced tanks I used them to pump water from the brute cans I mixed salt water in so they saw a lot of stop and start service. I know they run hot and are not as efficient as other pumps but nothing else lasted like they did and like you said they muscle. I have a mag 9.5 in my own system. I bought it used in 2004 and it's still going strong.

Yes, raising seahorses is an adventure! I hope to try some more this winter. He is actually due any day now but those fry are promised to a store owner.

Funny you mentioned power outage earlier, I just found out we had one yesterday while I was at work! Tank was fine when I got home, so the pump restarted! Regarding the mag drives, because my sump is in the basement it negates a couple of the weaknesses: noise is not an issue; and heat is dissipated by the cooler temps downstairs. The electricity bill is another matter...

My daughter would love seahorses, maybe I can set up the bc8 for that! (one day) :)

• Like 1

My daughter would love seahorses, maybe I can set up the bc8 for that! (one day) :)

Seahorses are the most exquisite, charming fish but they have a lot of specialized needs. Be sure to thoroughly research it before you delve into it because it's heartbreaking when their needs are not met. Sadly I learned the hard way through experience. I did not attempt seahorses again for 10 years!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

- Tank has been cycling a month now. Only tested for nitrate, and it's clear! Have not tested for anything else, but considering that it's been 4 weeks, pretty sure it's ready to go. Who needs test kits when you have patience. :)

- I ghost feed, and there's diatom for the last week or so, my very light CUC is not keeping up

- And it had to happen sooner or later, the RODI flooded the basement. Not too much damage, but… DOH!

• 1 month later...

UPDATE

* Finally found a pair of boring regular baby clowns, which I prefer! It's hard to find livestock in the summer time here.

* Re-scaped the left side of the tank, looks way better now. The picture below doesn't show the little cove inside the left cluster of rocks.

* Been eliminating whatever pest algae I can find on the LR. My new best friend is a butane BBQ lighter. :)

PLANS

* Debating if I should get a nem for the clowns

* Will get a blue green chromis or two

* Sexy shrimps + maxis if I can find any

* Really want a yellow angelfish (heraldi). Don't worry, fish trumps corals in my books, so I don't mind if they nip

FTS: 9 Aug 2015

20475768160_d779764575_k.jpgFull tank shot... Finally got rid of the blue hue from the LEDs by xiusun, on Flickr

• Like 4

I stopped off at an LFS (large chain fish store) on my way home couple nights ago, and there was a family with 2 kids looking to buy fish. They wanted every fish in the store, and they were just asking random questions on fish compatibility, just relying on the employee. The girl that worked there was pretty good and patient, I give her that!

Also, there was a fish that they wanted, but the girl warned them it was aggressive against other fish, that's why it was in its own tank. So the mom in the family goes "can you put it with the other fish here, so we can see how aggressive it is?" Lucky the employee said NO!

It's scary to think that there are people like this with reef tanks out there!

/End Rant!

Tank is chugging along! There was a heat wave last week, but the sump in the basement kept things cool! Temperature of the tank never went above 80!

Just waiting for the right fish to pop up at the LFS, so it's just the clowns for now...

But I found this awesome looking halloween hermit crab! It's shell looks like someone painted it!! I love hermits crabs!

20042559583_64c561fc27_k.jpgHalloween hermit crab with a crazy shell! by xiusun, on Flickr

• Like 3
Marc.The.Shark

That's a sweet crab! I like my couple hermits, but they are pretty opportunistic feeders & jump on all my Zoa's and stuff when I feed the tank. May eventually do away with them as I have a couple of 4-5" starfish that pretty much scavenge the rock work at night. How big is that one? Looks like a couple inches.

That's a sweet crab! I like my couple hermits, but they are pretty opportunistic feeders & jump on all my Zoa's and stuff when I feed the tank. May eventually do away with them as I have a couple of 4-5" starfish that pretty much scavenge the rock work at night. How big is that one? Looks like a couple inches.

Oh, it's prob an inch at most. I think these guys get pretty big though, we'll see. So far, they are pretty slow and non aggressive. I don't have any corals yet, to test their true nature. :) I've had all sorts of hermits, but never halloweens before... ! Quickly checked your build... you got skillz...

• Like 1

CxVwKxY.png

This is my Halloween Hermit. So far not aggressive at all and mostly scavenges for microalgae growing on the LR. B)

That's embarrassing… they went shell shopping at the same store! :lol: That's wild though, I wonder what snail made that shell pattern! These halloween hermits are my fave now.

Do you have a tank thread?

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix

That's embarrassing… they went shell shopping at the same store! :lol: That's wild though, I wonder what snail made that shell pattern! These halloween hermits are my fave now.

Do you have a tank thread?

Haha, yeah! I admit for a moment I thought that you were living in Msia as well and near my housing area because I've only seen one shop in my state that sells this crab type.

This tank has been upgraded to a 30G but I'm not ready to share it on NR yet since it's brand new and has only been up since May 2 2015 (and resurrected again recently).

I do however, have a 5G mantis shrimp tank thread: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/363539-snows-5g-mantis-menagerie-freya-striking-shrimp-vids/

:happy:

Haha, yeah! I admit for a moment I thought that you were living in Msia as well and near my housing area because I've only seen one shop in my state that sells this crab type.

This tank has been upgraded to a 30G but I'm not ready to share it on NR yet since it's brand new and has only been up since May 2 2015 (and resurrected again recently).

I do however, have a 5G mantis shrimp tank thread: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/363539-snows-5g-mantis-menagerie-freya-striking-shrimp-vids/

:happy:

No way!! Malaysia? That's how I got into reefing, I went there for my honeymoon (cus my wife is chinese-malaysian) and I fell in love with the ocean, and set up my first tank a month later! I have been back only once more. :( So beautiful there… went to Tioman, Perhentian, KK.. and bunch of cities…. :rolleyes:

According to live aquaria, those crabs are from Hawaii?

Good luck with your 30g!

• 1 month later...

Updates:

A month ago, I picked up a single dispar anthias. It was beautiful, eating flake food like a champ on the second day. I loaded my tank with zooplankton too, so it was happy! Unfortunately, one day after feeding mysis, I forgot to put my tank cover back on, and it jumped out. :( If you read up on anthias, everyone warns you about minimum tank size and multiple feedings, but no one mentions that they are jumpers!

21322144635_b2307b5099_b.jpgIMG_20150831_210425-01 by xiusun, on Flickr

Also picked up a RBTA from a local reef forum, it was advertised as a flame tip, but I'm not sure, it looks awesome still. I wasn't planning on one so soon, but price was only $30, and best part was it came on a small rock! Of course, my clowns have ignored it so far.

20237553733_b979178310_b.jpgFlame BTA by xiusun, on Flickr

Finally got my first corals yesterday, after 4 months! Surprised it took me this long. Just got some plan green zoas and a branching green monti. First time doing SPS, so I got the cheapest frag to see how it goes… :) I used to fresh water dip any new zoas, so I did the same this time, and I might have killed a nice serpent starfish! I felt so bad, hope he survives…

Have a Happy Thanksgiving weekend to my fellow Canadians!

• Like 1