Orangutran

29g Reef - video of clowns laying eggs Pg 9

Update:

Exactly 1 month after I started adding phosphates to my tank to combat dino, I have to say that things are turning around! I still have brown turd on my sand, but it's a lighter shade, not as thick and slimy. Might even be a mixture of dinos and diatoms which is a good thing! When you have dinos, diatoms/cyano/gha are your friends. :) 

I actually put the dinos under the microscope and got an ID on them as coolia and amphidinium (thanks to the good folks on R2R)

And after a month of dosing nutrients, I actually had to scrape my glass last night. Did not have any algae growth despite my nitrates @ 25 and phos @ .25, so things might explode. Hopefully things (nutrients) are balancing out. And coralline algae is actually starting to show up, after 2.5 years of nothing. 

Lets hope this trend continues.

So this happened!!!

There's no way I can raise the babies, but at least the mating will keep the clowns busy and happy. :)

• Like 4

Very nice!  You are caring for them well.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2017 at 11:40 AM, OldManSea said:

Very nice!  You are caring for them well.

Thanks! More luck than anything else! ;) 

Here is dad checking up on the eggs...

37741190251_5d2d42c6ae_z.jpg

I'm sure clowns mate all the time, but it's so cool when it's in my own tank! Nature right in my living room! That's why I love reefing!

On a sad note, my neon goby (named Stick) died some time last week. I did not see the little guy during feeding, especially when he's the biggest hog despite being the smallest! He was 2 years old, and I think that's their average lifespan. :( RIP Stick.

Day 3 Update:

Looks like Sammy and Sammy (my clowns) lost a lot of the eggs... It wasn't a large batch to begin with, but seems like only half the numbers on the 3rd night. This being their first time, guess it's just inexperience. Better luck next time!

37085334973_e5a57ac4ca_z.jpg

I would I have no idea what to do either if my clowns laid eggs but that's still awesome

• Like 1

On 10/15/2017 at 11:38 AM, Orangutran said:

So this happened!!!

There's no way I can raise the babies, but at least the mating will keep the clowns busy and happy. :)

Awesome video! :)  

Sorry about the Goby :(  

The ups and downs in this hobby are crazy!

• Thanks 1

Clown Eggs Update:

All the eggs were gone on day 4. Not sure what happened, whether they were not healthy or someone ate them, but sad nonetheless. Hopefully there will be more eggs in the future! 

• Like 1