Pod Your Reef

I am having great luck with battling dinoflagellates this time

Steve973

FWIW, the Fauna Marin Algae X instruction sheet has slightly more detailed instruction than the bottle. It says:

• Dose in the evening after the lights are out, the photosynthestics of the algae will not work during the night so the Algea X will better work

• 5 ml Algea X of 100L / 26 gal. water every 2 days

In very severe infestations and good skimming, you can dose up to 6 ml / 100 liters DO NOT OVERDOSE AND CALCULATE THE LITRES OR GALLONS EXACTLY!!!!

• Dose every 2 days until the algae has gone but not more than 21 days at a time Usually dinoflagellates with 10, other algae approx. with 15 dosing cycles removed

• Lighting interval max 6 hours/day Blue light can be on for 10 hours/day

• Make sure you heavily skim!

• No water change or dosing of any Trace Elements during treatment

• No Ozone, Carbon, Zeolith or Absorber during treatment

• Remove denitrification filters or trickle filters during the treatment

• Calcium-Reactors and the Balling-Method can be use during the treatment.

• 2 Days after usage of Algea X you can restart all your systems and do the first water change

• It is helpful to filter with activated carbon after the treatment

So 4 doses, even if the Dino is visibly gone, is probably not enough.

That's interesting, the directions on my bottle do not say anything about how many doses it may take. It also says 21 doses, rather than 21 days, as 15 doses would be 30 days. That must be lost in the translation. I'll check their web site, perhaps the directions are more thorough and better translated than the bottle. Thanks

• 6 years later...
Kindanewtothis
On 6/16/2015 at 8:05 AM, Steve973 said:

I started using Fauna Marin Dino X (It used to be called Ultra Algea X and, yes, that is how they spelled "algae") and the results are good. The product advertisements make you think that it will eliminate the plague algae instantaneously, but that is not my experience. The removal is slow and steady, and you may have to dose more aggressively than they recommend. (But proceed at your own risk. It is entirely possible that the recommended dosage will work well, and might possibly take longer. There are many types of dinoflagellates, so maybe this dosage isn't a one-size-fits all situation.) For example, the directions indicate that my tank would require 3ml at the end of the daily photoperiod. I have seen better results bumping that up to 4ml and the end of the photoperiod and sometimes again when I wake up, before the lights come on. This is working FAR better than peroxide for me, or any other method that I have tried. Although with the increased dosage, it's probably best to maintain frequent and possibly large-volume water changes, since we don't know exactly what is in this stuff, and at what concentrations it becomes bad for inhabitants.

Hi, I know it's an old post but who knows.

Did the dinos came back after a while or did dino x really worked?

• 1 month later...

Wow....a dino thread from the bad old days before we had a clue how to approach them.

@Kindanewtothis be careful when you wake up old threads like this.....some of them (like this one) should remain buried!  🙂 Are you having a dino bloom, BTW?

Dino's always come back after these kinds of miracle treatments.   The only cases I've seen that appear to be "successes" weren't actually dino's in the first place.

A better place to start your research is in 2017 with this thread:  Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

Read up the first page along with the linked material there.  (>10,000 posts so far and still growing so don't bother trying to cheat and just read the comments.  Gotta read the opening material.)

Kindanewtothis
3 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Wow....a dino thread from the bad old days before we had a clue how to approach them.

@Kindanewtothis be careful when you wake up old threads like this.....some of them (like this one) should remain buried!  🙂 Are you having a dino bloom, BTW?

Dino's always come back after these kinds of miracle treatments.   The only cases I've seen that appear to be "successes" weren't actually dino's in the first place.

A better place to start your research is in 2017 with this thread:  Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

Read up the first page along with the linked material there.  (>10,000 posts so far and still growing so don't bother trying to cheat and just read the comments.  Gotta read the opening material.)

I had a dinos bloom at the time. Small cell amphidiniums...

I tried dosing MicroBacter7, silicate, pods and phyto...

Ended up using dino-x at the end of August, tank is now dino free but I resumed dosing pods, phyto, Spongexcel and MB7 at the end of the treatment. Also added a rock from an established reef.

• Like 2