Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

RollaJase's Trip Off the Deep End - Custom Rimless 55G

RollaJase

Mine is wrong. Will fix this weekend.

fb23b2827744ce93b889d80e0a25a0b67953dc70

Haha, I do try ;). Glad it is a simple fix, you should be pulling disgusting gunk from the water in no time ;).

• Like 1

Looks like a nice skimmer! Great to see it broke in so fast too and is easy to adjust. I may have to consider one of these in the future since I love my Jebao return pump so much. I think my return is losing some power like yours though. It hasn't been cleaned in a year, so I'm thinking it might be due for a vinegar bath. I'm such a slacker about that kind of maintenance. My return pump is completely covered in coralline at this point :lol: Keep us posted on how you're liking that skimmer over time.

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

1 full week in and the skimmer is pulling almost black skimmate, this thing is a beast. Pics were taken yesterday before I made some tweaks, it is now pulling skimmate at a higher rate while still maintaining the same colour, all in 12" of water. I tried to find a suitable container/stand to mount the skimmer on to raise it a little, I had no success here. I may order some 10mm thick acrylic and just make my own, or go the cheap way and use some PVC bits and some acrylic that I have laying around.du06AM.jpgwzGWHi.jpg

Dang, that's nice and dark?- struggling with my skimmer right now- what skimmer is that?

• Like 1

Looks like a nice skimmer! Great to see it broke in so fast too and is easy to adjust. I may have to consider one of these in the future since I love my Jebao return pump so much. I think my return is losing some power like yours though. It hasn't been cleaned in a year, so I'm thinking it might be due for a vinegar bath. I'm such a slacker about that kind of maintenance. My return pump is completely covered in coralline at this point :lol: Keep us posted on how you're liking that skimmer over time.

The DC pump really makes a difference when dialing in the skimmer I think. It's also nice to have control over the actual pump rather than just the air going to the pump like I have been used to with previous skimmer options. My return pump is pretty covered in coralline also, I haven't seen it grow this fast before lol, 75% of my rock is all covered now also. Will definitely keep you all updated with how it goes over the following weeks.

Dang, that's nice and dark- struggling with my skimmer right now- what skimmer is that?

It's a Coral Box D500, couldn't recommend it more. There is a larger and a smaller model within the range also so there is an option to fit most tanks :).

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

The DC pump really makes a difference when dialing in the skimmer I think. It's also nice to have control over the actual pump rather than just the air going to the pump like I have been used to with previous skimmer options. My return pump is pretty covered in coralline also, I haven't seen it grow this fast before lol, 75% of my rock is all covered now also. Will definitely keep you all updated with how it goes over the following weeks.

It's a Coral Box D500, couldn't recommend it more. There is a larger and a smaller model within the range also so there is an option to fit most tanks :).

Cool thanks, I'll have to check them out

• Like 1

So, after a 2 day blackout and dosing NOPOX for 6 days so far the cyano is all but non existent. It turned from red to brown (almost like detritus) during the blackout and has since then been skimmed out. I have never experienced the cyano going brown like this, it usually just disappears slowly, I have also never seen it disappear so quickly. I'm putting this mostly down to the skimmer coming on strong and the blackout helping kill off the remainder. Although I wont rule out the NOPOX. I'll finish the week long dosing regime and keep the rest for a rainy day. If the cyano comes back I may try adding a bit of NOPOX first before considering the blackout again (it really freaked my wrasse out).

Now that the water has cleared up a few tips on my green/yellow milli have been a little burnt. I couldn't tell if it was burn or growth tips under tank light so after lights out I inspected with a torch and it definitely looks like a bit of burn. Alk has been relatively stable though and I am finally getting my levels to where I want them to be. Losing a few pieces slowed the absorption which allowed me to catch up with the dosing. As of last night the Alk was at 8.5dKH, Cal was at 425ppm and Mag was at 1290ppm. Alk can come down slightly and I'll be happy and I'll keep an eye on the Mag as it has been rising rapidly before I cut the dose by a few ml per day.

• Like 2

If I decide to go down the route of the Bubble Magus i'm still undecided between a Curve 5, C5.5 and I recently found the Hero 7 available (rated to 700L). Which model do you have Kat?

I think it's the 180A

• Like 1

So, after a 2 day blackout and dosing NOPOX for 6 days so far the cyano is all but non existent. It turned from red to brown (almost like detritus) during the blackout and has since then been skimmed out. I have never experienced the cyano going brown like this, it usually just disappears slowly, I have also never seen it disappear so quickly. I'm putting this mostly down to the skimmer coming on strong and the blackout helping kill off the remainder. Although I wont rule out the NOPOX. I'll finish the week long dosing regime and keep the rest for a rainy day. If the cyano comes back I may try adding a bit of NOPOX first before considering the blackout again (it really freaked my wrasse out).

Now that the water has cleared up a few tips on my green/yellow milli have been a little burnt. I couldn't tell if it was burn or growth tips under tank light so after lights out I inspected with a torch and it definitely looks like a bit of burn. Alk has been relatively stable though and I am finally getting my levels to where I want them to be. Losing a few pieces slowed the absorption which allowed me to catch up with the dosing. As of last night the Alk was at 8.5dKH, Cal was at 425ppm and Mag was at 1290ppm. Alk can come down slightly and I'll be happy and I'll keep an eye on the Mag as it has been rising rapidly before I cut the dose by a few ml per day.

Well, NoPox is carbon which increases bacterial growth, which outcompetes the bacteria that is cyano. So there.

• Like 1

Well, NoPox is carbon which increases bacterial growth, which outcompetes the bacteria that is cyano. So there.

As Ben mentioned above (and after doing some research of my own) it looks like a lot of cyano strains are limited or partially limited to carbon consumption also. So dosing NOPOX or carbon can potentially feed the cyano as well as the good bacteria. It looks like for me that it did work but because I made so many changes to the tank at one time its hard to say what played the biggest part in the eradication. New skimmer, replacing GFO with full dose (1/2cup), 2 day black out and NOPOX, all these things can be effective in their own right. I'd like to test NOPOX more thoroughly at a later date, with GHA or something present. I have used Vodka dosing before with good results, although, I never had a skimmer strong enough for the task.

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

I am also on the market for a skimmer - have you looked at the Nyos quantum or the Simplicity DC skimmers? Everyone I've talked to loves the Nyos skimmers but they are pricy

• Like 1

I am also on the market for a skimmer - have you looked at the Nyos quantum or the Simplicity DC skimmers? Everyone I've talked to loves the Nyos skimmers but they are pricy

I did look at a Nyos Quantum 120 as it was recommended by my LFS when I asked the question of what they would recommend. I have heard good things and bad things about them and yes they are expensive. The 120 retails for about $550AUD ($425USD) over here if you are looking at buying online, more in store. I had heard good things and bad things about the Nyos skimmers, mainly in relation to their build quality when first released. The Simplicity skimmers are new to me though, I did take a quick look just now and they look pretty nice.

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

I did look at a Nyos Quantum 120 as it was recommended by my LFS when I asked the question of what they would recommend. I have heard good things and bad things about them and yes they are expensive. The 120 retails for about $550AUD ($425USD) over here if you are looking at buying online, more in store. I had heard good things and bad things about the Nyos skimmers, mainly in relation to their build quality when first released. The Simplicity skimmers are new to me though, I did take a quick look just now and they look pretty nice.

Ya , my lfs sells both - 399.00 for the Nyos 120 and 249.00 for the simplicity 240 DC. The simplicity is beefier but I don't know much about them. My lfs raves about the Nyos..........decisions decisions.....I want a major work horse ?

I should also mention that a Deltec skimmer was also recommended and was more expensive again over the Nyos option.

Ya , my lfs sells both - 399.00 for the Nyos 120 and 249.00 for the simplicity 240 DC. The simplicity is beefier but I don't know much about them. My lfs raves about the Nyos..........decisions decisions.....I want a major work horse

Take a look at the Coral Box skimmers also if you haven't already. I couldn't recommend them more. The D300 is roughly $180USD and the D500 is roughly $240USD ordering directly from Fish Street.

• Like 3

I should also mention that a Deltec skimmer was also recommended and was more expensive again over the Nyos option.

Take a look at the Coral Box skimmers also if you haven't already. I couldn't recommend them more.

So I'm not crazy for thinking about the D300 then huh? :)

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

Take a look at the Coral Box skimmers also if you haven't already. I couldn't recommend them more.

Yup- heard that too......but not sure I can justify more than 400.00 for my 50gal. ? Now when I have my 210gal. ?

I'll have to look at those coral box skimmers- not familiar with them

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Take a look at the Coral Box skimmers also if you haven't already. I couldn't recommend them more. The D300 is roughly $180USD and the D500 is roughly $240USD ordering directly from Fish Street.

They're much cheaper in the US ordering from Addictive Aquaculture. :)
  • Like 2

So I'm not crazy for thinking about the D300 then huh? :)

Not at all. Ben and I are both using a Coral Box skimmer and they seem to have quite a following here in Australia due to them being much cheaper and on par quality wise with the more known brand names that are available to us.

Yup- heard that too......but not sure I can justify more than 400.00 for my 50gal. Now when I have my 210gal.

I'll have to look at those coral box skimmers- not familiar with them

I agree, the Deltec was roughly on par with what I paid for my custom built tank lol. Perhaps with the next upgrade I can justify shelling out big money on a beast of a skimmer.

They're much cheaper in the US ordering from Addictive Aquaculture. :)

There you go :), cheaper options are always good.

• Like 2

Glad you're still liking that skimmer. The big name brand DC skimmers are just so expensive, I guess because they're the newest technology. Hard to want to drop like $500 on a skimmer though. I may have to look into one of those Coral Box skimmers down the line if they're good quality for the price. I love my DC return pump and its just a cheap Jebao, so seems like that's the way to go. I have a big upgrade (over 100 gallons) floating around in my head right now for the end of this year, so I'll be needing a big skimmer that won't completely break the bank :)

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
Mikeymikemike

wow, good to see this build coming along. I got a d500 for my reefagumi tank upgrade. My total system volume is 100L so it may be a bit of an overkill

• Like 1

Glad you're still liking that skimmer. The big name brand DC skimmers are just so expensive, I guess because they're the newest technology. Hard to want to drop like $500 on a skimmer though. I may have to look into one of those Coral Box skimmers down the line if they're good quality for the price. I love my DC return pump and its just a cheap Jebao, so seems like that's the way to go. I have a big upgrade (over 100 gallons) floating around in my head right now for the end of this year, so I'll be needing a big skimmer that won't completely break the bank :)

Hugely late response by me (Sorry Felicia!) but yes, I still love the skimmer! Since installing it I raised the skimmer from about 12" depth to 8-9" and it is performing even better! I have the pump going full strength and the gate closed roughly 1/5th the way and I get a nice dark tea looking skimmate. I prefer to skim wet and get roughly 1 full cup of skimmate every 1-1.5 weeks (depending on coral feeding and Calcium Carbonate dosing). If you go ahead with the 100G build I would definitely recommend that you consider the D700 model, I think the D500 may be a little under powered. One thing to mention, mainly about the Jebao pumps, I definitely recommend keeping one of the control boxes and or a spare power adapter on hand. This is definitely the weakest link in the Jebao product. MY RW-4 pumps and the skimmer use the same controller and adapter so I will definitely be buying a spare, I may also be adding a 3rd RW-4 for extra circulation. When I put the skimmer into feed mode the other day to empty the cup and brought the skimmer out of feed mode the pump stalled and the skimmer wouldn't turn on. I disconnected everything, left it for 5mins, plugged it back together and it worked fine.

wow, good to see this build coming along. I got a d500 for my reefagumi tank upgrade. My total system volume is 100L so it may be a bit of an overkill

Thanks Mikey :). Yeah, the D500 may be a bit overkill for 100L but it is a very good skimmer, you may have been able to get away with the D300 model. For the price difference though, the D500 is a better buy.

So, no, i'm not dead and yes, the tank is still up and running. The last 2 months have been crazy for me. Work has been super busy, personal life has been even busier. I paid off my car!, had my 25th birthday, hit 12 months with the girlfriend and have started looking at buying my first house. The tank has taken a bit of a back seat and hasn't exactly been running how I would have liked. The cyano that I thought I got on top of is still present and actually got worse. I lost a few SPS pieces due to high nutrients and miss calculation with my Alk dosing (spiked and then dropped). Besides that the tank has been going pretty well with good growth and colour. Everything has been running stable to the extent that I am testing the trace elements weekly and adjusting as need be. Alk has been stable at between 7.5-8dKH, Cal at 420-430ppm an Mag is roughly 1200ppm.

I do have plans for a big update soon though. I would like to share an in depth look at what has been happening with the tank and what I have done to rectify things. The new light is complete (finally) and I think I am still seeing stars from nearly blinding myself over the weekend testing out the channels. I am hoping to get the hanging kit sorted out this weekend using some 3mm stainless cable and some other bits and pieces so that the tank can finally get a lighting solution that it deserves. The AI Sol has performed great but just can't throw the light to cover this tank. I have also been toying with the idea of picking up the slave unit for my Marine Color doser to give me an extra 3 channels for dosing. The slave unit plugs directly into the main doser via a single cable, no independent power required. This will allow me to start vodka or vinegar dosing and later down the track I could use it for Aminos or other trace elements also.

You are not forgotten, I promise :D. I just don't like to take pictures of the tank when it looks gross lol.

• Like 3

I hate my d700 now. It overflowed a few times and got water everywhere. Its also very noisy. Going to look for a replacement soon...

I'm sorry to hear that you are still having issues :(. Mine overflowed once also and made a bit of a mess, I figured out why though and it hasn't happened since. I do agree that it definitely isn't the quietest piece of equipment but mine anyway seems to be much quieter than any AC powered skimmer I have had or have heard.