Top Shelf Aquatics

RollaJase's Trip Off the Deep End - Custom Rimless 55G

RollaJase

So, who is using Seachem Matrix in their sumps? I've recently migrated as much live rock from my sump to the display (tastefully) with the intention of using either Matrix or Siporax in my sump. The reasoning being I get much more space for bacteria in the same physical foot print and it will make cleaning the sump easier having everything in baskets or bags. Siporax is highly recommended by local reefers but it is bloody expensive, Matrix is an easier to stomach price point as my LFS buys in the big buckets and then packages it in 1KG, 2KG and 3KG bags ($20, $25 and $30 each respectfully). I am currently using 1L of Marine Pure balls and will continue to do so but I have to say, I haven't seen any effects (positive or negative) after using them for over 12 months now.

Overall I'm trying to increase my filtration capacity so I can feed more. I've recently increased the flow rate through my sump (upgraded my 3000LPH pump to a 4000LPH) and am finally starting to see the remaining pockets of cyano starting to disappear. I figure more filtration is always a good thing so why not.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, RollaJase said:

So, who is using Seachem Matrix in their sumps? I've recently migrated as much live rock from my sump to the display (tastefully) with the intention of using either Matrix or Siporax in my sump. The reasoning being I get much more space for bacteria in the same physical foot print and it will make cleaning the sump easier having everything in baskets or bags. Siporax is highly recommended by local reefers but it is bloody expensive, Matrix is an easier to stomach price point as my LFS buys in the big buckets and then packages it in 1KG, 2KG and 3KG bags ($20, $25 and $30 each respectfully). I am currently using 1L of Marine Pure balls and will continue to do so but I have to say, I haven't seen any effects (positive or negative) after using them for over 12 months now.

Overall I'm trying to increase my filtration capacity so I can feed more. I've recently increased the flow rate through my sump (upgraded my 3000LPH pump to a 4000LPH) and am finally starting to see the remaining pockets of cyano starting to disappear. I figure more filtration is always a good thing so why not.

I am.  I've had it running in a larger reactor, the (TLF whatever #) for almost a year now.  It took a few months but since it started working I need to dose 2 drops of nitrates daily to keep everything from going pale.  Reactor is full of detritus, looks disgusting, still works.

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, markalot said:

I am.  I've had it running in a larger reactor, the (TLF whatever #) for almost a year now.  It took a few months but since it started working I need to dose 2 drops of nitrates daily to keep everything from going pale.  Reactor is full of detritus, looks disgusting, still works.

If it's working for you Mark I think I'll give it a try. My LFS has 15% off store wide this weekend so I might have to swing by. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I've never used any of the ceramic medias like Matrix.  They're intriguing though and I've always wondered how well they work.  You'll have to keep up posted on what you try and how it works for your system.

• Like 1
On 8/30/2017 at 9:59 AM, gena said:

Gobies are my favorite fish.  I bet you can get some neat ones that we can't get over here.  I've been wanting one of these guys FOREVER!!!!!

59a61bceb552f_ScreenShot2017-08-29at6_58_11PM.png.94d0f88077fc28420bd8488f61314a0d.png

Unfortunately they like to nest in SPS.  Which wouldn't be a problem for me LOL.  Plus I don't think they've ever been available.  Not yet anyways.  One day someone HAS to be able to collect them :).

I have tried them before. Two words: FREAKING HARD!

Bought 20. 1 survived. 19 didnt make it past first night. Seriously... you are talking about a whole new level on fish husbandry :(

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
22 hours ago, Ancelot said:

I have tried them before. Two words: FREAKING HARD!

Bought 20. 1 survived. 19 didnt make it past first night. Seriously... you are talking about a whole new level on fish husbandry :(

Wow, really?  That's very good information.  I wonder if the collecting method was too harsh on them?   How were you able to even find them?   Ok, now I don't even want one...little things should stay in the ocean :).

• 2 weeks later...

Argh! AWOL again! Time flies when life is going a million miles an hour!

So what have I been up to?

The Good:

• Tank has been looking pretty good until recently...
  • Getting closer to a settlement date on my block of land, almost finalised the build also.
  • I got rid of the clown fish to a local reefer!!!
  • Cyano is all but gone!
  • I've been working on a side project that I think has some real promise...reefing related but not tank related...

The Bad:

• My green/blue plate coral (my signature picture) died :(. A slight tear appeared after a heavy feeding and it didn't recover. I had this piece for about 4 years, never seen another like it.
  • My birdsnest is declining fast (STN), more on this later.
  • One of my Gyre magnets ruptured, I think this may be the cause of the above issue, I'm going to organise a Triton test to confirm.
  • Worst of all, my partner's grandfather passed away last weekend. It came as a real shock to the family and the funeral is in a few days time.

What's been happening with the tank?

• I've continued to play around with the settings on my light. I added in some more white as I think the SPS missed the added PAR kick, they seem happier now.
  • I moved as much LR from my sump into the DT as I can without it looking cluttered and horrible. 
  • I've added 1KG of Seachem Matrix into the sump, once I build a media basket I'll be adding another 1KG (giving me 2KG in total). From memory this amount is recommended for 2-3 times my water volume.
  • I've stopped dosing Phosphate RX entirely, I want to see what happens, I'm keeping an eye on Phosphate levels.
  • I wet sanded the splash guards for my light to fix the hack job I did originally in an attempt to diffuse them.  It looks a heck of a lot better now and there is move light making its way through (not sure if it has effected PAR but visually there is a fair bit more light).
  • As I mentioned in a previous post I've been using a product called Reef Essentials (recently changed names to Coral Essentials) as a trace element supplement for the tank. I've mixed their A and B part in with my Calcium dosing and part C with my Alkalinity dosing. I am also using their amino acid product which is automatically dosed directly from my doser. 3 months in and I'm getting some pretty good results, I'm fairly impressed so far.
  • I had to perform emergency surgery on the birdsnest, hopefully some of the many, many frags survive so I can regrow the colony. I'm unsure it if was light/flow related or heavy metal poisoning from the rusted magnet. It is the only SPS piece I have to have shown distress. Pics below.

uIg6yj.jpgvPtbzb.jpg

6B5Bn6.jpg1bTN19.jpg

Tank Update - 10th October 2017:

Enough text, time for pictures! These are all from July and were all taken before a few pieces died (plate and hammer) and before I got rid of the clown.

NiEFFY.jpg
FJLMMZ.jpg
4V5p0v.jpg
AyKEAv.jpg
XZFXKR.jpg
WdZYuA.jpg
Fwowli.jpg
DAvQp1.jpg
tMHySC.jpg
qiuEIn.jpg
yaAF1w.jpg
ffK4OP.jpg
7CE9Cs.jpg
eQQfUf.jpg
WYd1dp.jpg
S3MW3t.jpg
hTPRS7.jpg
WZg7eL.jpg
YjoKoB.jpg
MWtUfa.jpg
Q9fpeF.jpg
z7QpHX.jpg
CTNMzp.jpg
Ux5LYs.jpg

• Like 6
On 9/25/2017 at 5:31 PM, Felicia said:

I've never used any of the ceramic medias like Matrix.  They're intriguing though and I've always wondered how well they work.  You'll have to keep up posted on what you try and how it works for your system.

I'll definitely keep you posted Felicia. I'm really interested to see how it works also.

Tank Update - 16th October 2017:

I'm almost up to date now, these pics were taken throughout September before the issues which have seen me loose my plate coral and the majority of my birdsnest.

At the start of September I stopped by my favorite LFS on a whim on the way back from my partners house. A local reefer had dropped in a ton of frags and they had some maricultured frags that weren't doing too well under the lights of their temporary SPS tanks (they are rebuilding their racks). Looks like I was at the right place at the right time and managed to pick up 5 frags for $15. Yes, $15!!!

IVo97m.jpg
4IvUso.jpg
lLfEUd.jpg
3AP9hT.jpg
7TtOxy.jpg
X0xvSr.jpg
DBHWRC.jpg
fXHYc0.jpg

In order of the pictures I picked up a some unknown green and purple acro, a fairly average looking monti which is supposed to be rainbow encrusting monti, toxic green plating monti, green digitata (has perished) and a birdsnest of some kind.

Some more random shots and a relatively up to date FTS.

DzVMtY.jpg
DHDpX9.jpg
1XCzrS.jpg
UzNy0g.jpg

jfjPES.jpg
kTpTAR.jpg
Jyfsyh.jpg
Gzs8Mq.jpg
jBxprU.jpg
GGz6LX.jpg
097V6c.jpg

• Like 9
  • 2 weeks later...

So just a small update on the Seachem Matrix front. I initially purchased 2KG and only used a little under 1KG in a media bag in the sump. Since then I've sorted the entire 2KG into smaller pieces and larger pieces with the intention that I need to make a media basket to house the large pieces and the small pieces are going in a small media bag under my skimmer. At this point in time there is about 1.5KG of media in the sump. Over the last month my Nitrate level has dropped from 25 on the Salifert kit to borderline 5-10. The media bags are expelling so much gas/air that they are actually starting to float in the sump and I need to give them a squeeze weekly to expel this built up gas/air. So far this has been really interesting, especially considering I have not altered my feeding at all which I think is nearing on the heavier side of feeding. I wonder if it will get the Nitrate down to 0? if it does I'll need to look at either removing some media, increase the feeding, add more bioload (I want a few more fish) or a bit of both to get a happy medium.

In other news half my gyre broke (needs new propeller bearings/gaskets) and I'm still waiting on a response about the faulty magnet that I need replaced. Getting anything out of the local Maxspect importer is next to impossible and I've had no response in close to a month after my initial request for pricing went through, even after multiple follow ups. I think I'll go direct to Maxspect.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, pappadumplingz said:

Tank is looking great. Love the trachys. Sucks that the gyre broke though.

Thanks mate. Yeah a bit of a shame, I love the pump but the service is just crap.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, pappadumplingz said:

Crazy how your nitrates have dropped so far after using seachem matrix. Is it like a marine pure style media?

Similar to the marine pure in the sense that it is a bio filter media. Matrix is made out of pumice which is a volcanic by product and used in the ceramic making process, Marine Pure is a ceramic blend I believe. To be honest, adding Marine Pure to my system did absolutely nothing in terms of nitrate reduction. I've so far seen better results with Matrix in roughly 6 weeks then I have seen with Marine Pure in over 12 months, similar volume of media also.

• Like 1
pappadumplingz
10 minutes ago, RollaJase said:

Similar to the marine pure in the sense that it is a bio filter media. Matrix is made out of pumice which is a volcanic by product and used in the ceramic making process, Marine Pure is a ceramic blend I believe. To be honest, adding Marine Pure to my system did absolutely nothing in terms of nitrate reduction. I've so far seen better results with Matrix in roughly 6 weeks then I have seen with Marine Pure in over 12 months, similar volume of media also.

Might have to try the stuff out. Is it expensive?

• Like 1
On 10/27/2017 at 9:39 AM, pappadumplingz said:

Might have to try the stuff out. Is it expensive?

I picked up 2KG for $35 with LFS discount. It usually costs more though, my LFS just buys the big buckets, uses what they need and package the rest up in smaller lots. I'm considering buying another 1KG just because I can haha.

I also finally got my Gyre situation sorted out. Looks like my emails were going straight to spam as they had pictures attached to them. Repairs aint cheap though! A new magnet mount (well, half mount), controller bracket, new design 4 blade rotor kit, spare driver bushings and grommets for new blades and the same for old blades cost me more than the unit second hand! At least I have the up-rated blades in it now though with a spare set of consumables plus I have the original blades ready to go if the up-rated ones fail. Now I just need to wait for them to arrive so I can give the Gyre a vinegar bath and put it back together.

Wow that was an amazing deal on those new frags! It's interesting to hear how the Matrix compares to the Marine Pure. I've got the Brightwell Xport plate and it seems to work well in my 30g tank but less well in my 40g.

• Like 1

Lovely new photos!  This tank is so full!  The huge colonies you have going in there are impressive!  I especially love the huge frogspawn and the big zoa colonies.

That's exciting to hear the Matrix is lowering nitrates so much!  I may consider adding some to one of the chamber of my AIO if I start to have nutrient issues with my goal of doing approximately monthly water changes.  Thanks for the update on the Matrix!

Sorry to hear about the issues though!  Those expensive pumps are so expensive to repair if they break.  Its unfortunate that its often almost as expensive as just buying a new one.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Wow that was an amazing deal on those new frags! It's interesting to hear how the Matrix compares to the Marine Pure. I've got the Brightwell Xport plate and it seems to work well in my 30g tank but less well in my 40g.

I was pretty happy with the pickup that's for sure. Of the 5 I picked up, 1 didn't make it (digitata), 1 is doing averagely (birdsnest) and the others seem to be doing pretty well so far. I've been pretty impressed with the Matrix to be honest, much more than the Marine Pure balls I've had in the sump for about 18 months. Depending how the Nitrates go I may even consider getting rid of the Marine Pure and the fuge and use Matrix as my sole filter media.

2 hours ago, Felicia said:

Lovely new photos!  This tank is so full!  The huge colonies you have going in there are impressive!  I especially love the huge frogspawn and the big zoa colonies.

That's exciting to hear the Matrix is lowering nitrates so much!  I may consider adding some to one of the chamber of my AIO if I start to have nutrient issues with my goal of doing approximately monthly water changes.  Thanks for the update on the Matrix!

Sorry to hear about the issues though!  Those expensive pumps are so expensive to repair if they break.  Its unfortunate that its often almost as expensive as just buying a new one.

Thanks Felicia, the tank is getting there, I'm glad that the cyano is all but gone now. Just keep in mind with Matrix (and most other media) that it takes time for the bacteria to seed. Best to consider adding some once you start to increase livestock instead of when you start seeing some issues, especially if you are planning on monthly water changes, I'm just unlucky that when I purchased my Gyre that the previous owner had not gone through with the upgrade offer of getting the new rotors and weren't honest on the magnets being sound. The magnet alone was $75 to replace! Ridiculous! I opted to order the upgraded rotors while I was at it though because the driver bushing and grommet are much more robust than the original design so I'm hoping that they last for a very long time :).

• Like 2

Gyre parts arrived at the start of last week and I rebuilt it over the weekend, good as new. Only issue I ran into is that the newer style, reinforced rotors seem to be slightly longer than the original design when you include the grommets. I spent 2 hours pulling apart the gyre, cleaning, reassembling and testing just to get slashing red lights on the controller as the motor would stall out due to too much resistance. It wasn't until after I swapped back to the old rotors with fresh grommets did I realise what was happening and felt utterly stupid for it. On the plus side, I'm now a pro at tearing down and servicing the XF-130 Gyre lol. Next time I give it a clean I'll try the new rotors again and won't push the flow cages into the body so hard.

I also got my Triton test results back (can't remember if I posted the results). Everything was spot on where it was supposed to be with the exception of Bromine and Copper. My Bromine levels were borderline low so I've started dosing a supplement in conjunction with my other Coral Essentials trace elements to raise it up. Copper is a big no no and on the sliding scale Triton provide it was halfway between green and yellow. I think the ruptured magnet is to blame as I can't think of any other reason how copper will be getting into the water. Triton's recommendation was 25% water changes over the course of a month or so to bring the level down.  I already do roughly 20% weekly changes anyway but I may consider investing in some TLF Metasorb to assist with the heavy metal reduction.

The birdsnest doesn't look like it's improving at all, I've written this off as a loss for now. I've got a ton of frags left over from when I broke it apart though, some doing better than others. Hopefully I can regrow another colony in due time. Still weird that it is my only colony that seems to be effected by the copper though.

• Like 1

Tank Update - 8th November 2017:

Two FTS to keep you interested. Each pair taken 1 month apart (8th October and 8th November). Minimal retouching on these, just some contrast and white balance adjustment.

FAJWwY.jpg
alnvLP.jpg
sFrnKM.jpg
V6wGIV.jpg

Realistically very little overall difference in a month, not that can easily be seen without me focusing on a particular coral anyway. Keen eyes will see a slight growth difference between the green monti shots. This thing is starting to really get massive!

• Like 7
  • Wow 1
8 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

very nice!  that monti is growing out of the tank!

Thanks! The monti is almost at the overflow grate, so so close at this stage. When I have the return on the monti is still about 1" under the water surface but it is rapidly getting there.

• 4 weeks later...

When my green monti was really big in the 10g tank, it was literally growing out of the tank. It just started encrusting when it touched the back wall and went straight up from there. I loved the colors it got as it came up out of the water. It eventually stopped going up, I assumed once it got high enough to dry out.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...