Top Shelf Aquatics

RollaJase's Trip Off the Deep End - Custom Rimless 55G

RollaJase

Tank Update - 26th July 2017:

Still trying to get through the backlog of photos from May this year. I was messing around with shooting under full blue light.

D2Qzmh.jpg
SfN2mq.jpg
m7RSRU.jpg
TSVD6Y.jpg
Arxpur.jpg
N0xsvW.jpg
8RbZEE.jpg
BnhqgY.jpg
eTECvQ.jpg

Something really cool happened towards the end of May also, one of my hammers spawned! This literally happened over night with the eggs not being there one day and then present in the tips of the hammer the following morning. Over the course of the day the eggs were released, unfortunately i have no pictures of the actual spawning event as I was out for the majority of the day but I could see some eggs floating in the water. I'm assuming that no male hammers spawned as the water remained clear during this event. A shame really, I would have liked to see some babies pop up :).

aUsGAB.jpg
N03jea.jpg
2Bkykq.jpg
87pdWj.jpg
cq0d0O.jpg

Finally I am all up to date. Next up are some photos from July but they will have to wait for another day.

• Like 5
9 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Those hammers are soooo pretty. And that's really cool about the spawning!

Thank you teeny! I think I've collected some really nice pieces over the last few months also. I have room for a few more so I'm looking at trying to get my hands on an a toxic green hammer to compliment the frogspawn. I'm also keeping an eye out for an orange/peach hammer, they seem to be all the rage over here at the moment with quite a heated debate going around in regards to whether they are orange or if it is just photoshop/spectrum.

I was really surprised to see them spawning also. Even more so considering that piece was one of the newest ones in the system, it had been in the tank for less than a month at the time it spawned.

• Like 1

I discovered a few Waminoa Flatworms on one of my frogspawn today, little brown/bronze disks. Luckily they aren't known to eat the corals, just be parasitic in the sense that the block photosynthesis and steal food from the mucus layer. To be honest I think I noticed them a while ago when it was 1 or 2, thought it was mutated tips on the frogspawn. Now there are 20-30 that I can see on the one piece and a couple on the piece next to it. Not sure if I should bother trying to dip a single piece as obviously they are spreading, may just pick up some flatworm exit. Perhaps this explains why my wrasses have taken more of an interest in this part of the tank lately???

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Hopefully the wrasses will figure out they are food and take care of the problem for you!

I hope so too. I'm going to put all the hammers/torches in a melafix dip over the weekend for 5-10 mins. I'll also be picking up some Flatworm Exit from a local reefer over the weekend, it is brand new but going out of date in November so i'm giving him a frag of the birdsnest for his time.

• Like 2

Everything breaks when you really don't need it to. I was going to post a picture update over the weekend but my PC of 7 years finally kicked the bucket, fried motherboard. Looks like there will be no further updates until I get around to replacing it (hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks, funds depending).

I did give my Euphyllia garden a dip over the weekend to combat the flatworms. I killed quite a few of the juvenile ones with a half strength dip. I'll dip again this coming weekend with a full strength dip before trying flatworm exit on the tank.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the motherboard, but just think how much faster your photo processing will be :D

What did you use for a dip?

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Sorry to hear about the motherboard, but just think how much faster your photo processing will be :D

What did you use for a dip?

Well, I will be jumping up 4-5 generations of Intel hardware when I upgrade haha. Should be much faster.

I used 1ml of Melafix per 1L of water in my bucket when dipping. I'll jump to 2ml per 1L when I dip again this coming weekend. I purchased some a while ago so I had it on hand and local reefers recommended it as being worth a shot. I generally don't dip anything, I'm surprised that this is the only pest i've been hit with besides Aiptasia in over 5 years reefing.

• Like 1

I skipped the second Melafix dip and went straight for a Flatworm Exit treatment. I took the two affected frogspawn corals and put them in a bucket with 8L of water. I added two drops of Flatworm Exit, stirred it up and walked away from the bucket for 10-15mins. When I came back I shook the worst of the two frogspawns in the bucket and about 30 flatworms fell off. I left them in the bucket for another 30mins and managed to get a few more off of the pieces. They definitely look happier now though. I'll do another treatment next weekend during my water change to try and kill off what hatches over the next 6-7 days. If i see them start to spread through the tank I'll hit the whole tank with a treatment.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back online! Kinda splurged a little on my new PC and got back in touch with my first true love, high end PC builds (excuse the crappy mobile picture).

Tk1BlJ.jpg

Hopefully I get another 4-5 years out of this one, I'll take some better pictures when I get around to it.

From the tank side of things, I have killed off the entire adult population of flatworms, I'm just fighting juveniles now, I can see them on the sand against the glass. I'll treat the entire tank with flatworm exit this coming weekend and try to wipe out as many as I can. Might take me a few goes to completely eradicate them. In other news I've finally had it with my clown fish and the little shit is finding a new home. I could deal with him jumping out of the water just to bite me but his aggressive rubbing up against corals in the Euphyllia garden has seen him kill my favorite mottled purple & toxic green hammer coral. He tore the flesh on one head and over the next 12 hours all 3 heads developed brown jelly, I had to bin the piece to be safe. All other pieces look to be doing fine but he has taken a liking to my toxic green frogspawn and I'll be damned if the little shit is going to kill that one also.

Now I can focus on taking more photos for an all tank update :).

• Like 3
1 hour ago, RollaJase said:

I'm back online! Kinda splurged a little on my new PC and got back in touch with my first true love, high end PC builds (excuse the crappy mobile picture).

Tk1BlJ.jpg

Hopefully I get another 4-5 years out of this one, I'll take some better pictures when I get around to it.

From the tank side of things, I have killed off the entire adult population of flatworms, I'm just fighting juveniles now, I can see them on the sand against the glass. I'll treat the entire tank with flatworm exit this coming weekend and try to wipe out as many as I can. Might take me a few goes to completely eradicate them. In other news I've finally had it with my clown fish and the little shit is finding a new home. I could deal with him jumping out of the water just to bite me but his aggressive rubbing up against corals in the Euphyllia garden has seen him kill my favorite mottled purple & toxic green hammer coral. He tore the flesh on one head and over the next 12 hours all 3 heads developed brown jelly, I had to bin the piece to be safe. All other pieces look to be doing fine but he has taken a liking to my toxic green frogspawn and I'll be damned if the little shit is going to kill that one also.

Now I can focus on taking more photos for an all tank update :).

Nice PC build! 

Im working on my second custom build this year, I'll have to post pictures of it when it is done. My first build this year was in the Phanteks Evolv ITX, great little case!

• Like 1

Wow, that's really freaking cool computer.  Can you put fish in it?  You already got the lights =P.

When I had flatworms I just kept dipping my frogspawns and hammers every week till they slowly disappeared.  I never got rid of them manually but eventually they just died off and I haven't seen any since.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, schgr.cube said:

Nice PC build! 

Im working on my second custom build this year, I'll have to post pictures of it when it is done. My first build this year was in the Phanteks Evolv ITX, great little case!

Thanks :). The Phanteks cases are definitely good value for money and well built. I bought the case a few months ago and it wasn't until I transferred all my hardware across that my old motherboard decided to fail. Definitely post up pics when you are done!

1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

Wow, that's really freaking cool computer.  Can you put fish in it?  You already got the lights =P.

When I had flatworms I just kept dipping my frogspawns and hammers every week till they slowly disappeared.  I never got rid of them manually but eventually they just died off and I haven't seen any since.

Thanks man, I recon I could fit a fish or something in the reservoir lol.

I was hoping I could do the same thing but now the flatworms aren't localised to the frogspawns any more. My Euphyllia are now clean, the rest of the tank has them now lol. I know I have killed 99% of the adult population though so I hope getting rid of the juveniles wont take me too long. I'll clean the gyre pump in vinegar also, I can see some eggs and large flatworms under the magnets.

I'm making the rounds playing catchup at the moment!  Nice to see your other hobby.  Very cool looking computer.  I love the lights on it!  Sorry to hear you're dealing with flatworms.  I've been there and they are really no fun!  Sounds like you're making progress though, so hang in there.  Also, man is that one mean clownfish.  Goodness!  It really does sound like he needs to go!  

Your last photo update is stunning!  I love the combination of euphyllia you have in this tank!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, teenyreef said:

That computer is a work of art, well done, sir!

Why thank you :).

16 minutes ago, Felicia said:

I'm making the rounds playing catchup at the moment!  Nice to see your other hobby.  Very cool looking computer.  I love the lights on it!  Sorry to hear you're dealing with flatworms.  I've been there and they are really no fun!  Sounds like you're making progress though, so hang in there.  Also, man is that one mean clownfish.  Goodness!  It really does sound like he needs to go!  

Your last photo update is stunning!  I love the combination of euphyllia you have in this tank!

Thank you Felicia, things are starting to get back on track over here. Only downside of being interested in custom built PC's is that it ends up costing me as much if not more than when I spend on reefing lol. Oh, and the LEDs are RGB so I can can make them any colour I like ;).

Flatworms are definitely not fun but at least they aren't the type to eat any corals so really they aren't that bad, just unsightly. The clown is definitely a jerk, he actually launched himself right out of the tank a few weeks ago trying to bite me. At the time  I thought I should just leave him on the carpet but in a moment of weakness I put him back in the tank instead of the sump, that mistake cost me my beautiful hammer coral. Oh well, live and learn. The Euphyllia garden is shaping up to be my favourite part of the tank. My partner loves them also and most of the ones I currently have were purchased with her influence or she insisted on buying them for me so we didn't leave the LFS without them lol.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, RollaJase said:

Why thank you :).

Thank you Felicia, things are starting to get back on track over here. Only downside of being interested in custom built PC's is that it ends up costing me as much if not more than when I spend on reefing lol. Oh, and the LEDs are RGB so I can can make them any colour I like ;).

Flatworms are definitely not fun but at least they aren't the type to eat any corals so really they aren't that bad, just unsightly. The clown is definitely a jerk, he actually launched himself right out of the tank a few weeks ago trying to bite me. At the time  I thought I should just leave him on the carpet but in a moment of weakness I put him back in the tank instead of the sump, that mistake cost me my beautiful hammer coral. Oh well, live and learn. The Euphyllia garden is shaping up to be my favourite part of the tank. My partner loves them also and most of the ones I currently have were purchased with her influence or she insisted on buying them for me so we didn't leave the LFS without them lol.

I guess if you have to pick a pest, flatworms are a good one since they don't kill anything.  They're just ugly.  Nice job looking at the bright side!  That is an incredibly aggressive clown!  How long have you had him?  I've never had any of my clowns get aggressive like that.  Sounds like he definitely needs to go back to the LFS.

Your partner has good taste!  I love euphyllias!  When you get a nice collection of them and they all grow out to be multiple heads, they look stunning and add so much movement.  I think I agree that they are my favorite part of your tank.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Felicia said:

I guess if you have to pick a pest, flatworms are a good one since they don't kill anything.  They're just ugly.  Nice job looking at the bright side!  That is an incredibly aggressive clown!  How long have you had him?  I've never had any of my clowns get aggressive like that.  Sounds like he definitely needs to go back to the LFS.

Your partner has good taste!  I love euphyllias!  When you get a nice collection of them and they all grow out to be multiple heads, they look stunning and add so much movement.  I think I agree that they are my favorite part of your tank.

Yeah, definitely worse pests I could have in the tank that's for sure. The clown is around 2 years old, never had a mate. I may have a local reefer taking him off my hands (he has a large female that recently lost her mate). If that falls through I'll be taking him back to the LFS.

I'm glad that she has taken an interest in the tank, it lets me get away with a few things haha. I love the movement they add to the tank also, things were looking a bit boring so I broke up the zoa garden and replaced it with the Euphyllia. I have honestly considered breaking apart the scape and making an Euphyllia dominated bommie or something but I'm also enjoying how the SPS are starting to grow.

• Like 2

I treated the tank with Flatworm Exit over the weekend, didn't really do too much, not as effective as a bucket treatment. I'll try again this coming weekend but I'll drain some water from the display first and turn off the return pump so the water volume in the sump doesn't get treated. If I keep the same dosage strength I think this will work a whole lot better.

Also got rid of that bastard clown! A local reefer picked him up after his quite large female lost her partner recently. As of now my fish list is as follows:

• 1 Longspine (Threadfin) Cardinalfish (Zoramia leptacantha)
  • 1 Bicolour Blenny (Ecsenius bicolor)
  • 1 Melanurus Wrasse (Male) (Halichoeres melanurus)
  • 1 Scarlet Pin Stripe Wrasse (Secretive Wrasse) (Pseudocheilinus evanidus)
  • 1 Yellow Eye Kole Tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus)

I'm wanting to move the cardinal on also which will only leave me with 4 fish in total. I'm undecided what to do in regards to adding a few more fish. I'd love to try and get a male/female pair of mandarins as I dearly miss my Mandy after loosing her earlier this year. I'd also love to try a leopard wrasse again as my original attempt only lasted 4-5 days. Other wrasses are also an option but I'm wary of other smaller wrasses seeing as the Secretive Wrasse has shown aggression to other wrasses of similar size (killing a flasher wrasse I added to the tank). I'm open to suggestions! :)

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, RollaJase said:

I treated the tank with Flatworm Exit over the weekend, didn't really do too much, not as effective as a bucket treatment. I'll try again this coming weekend but I'll drain some water from the display first and turn off the return pump so the water volume in the sump doesn't get treated. If I keep the same dosage strength I think this will work a whole lot better.

Also got rid of that bastard clown! A local reefer picked him up after his quite large female lost her partner recently. As of now my fish list is as follows:

• 1 Longspine (Threadfin) Cardinalfish (Zoramia leptacantha)
  • 1 Bicolour Blenny (Ecsenius bicolor)
  • 1 Melanurus Wrasse (Male) (Halichoeres melanurus)
  • 1 Scarlet Pin Stripe Wrasse (Secretive Wrasse) (Pseudocheilinus evanidus)
  • 1 Yellow Eye Kole Tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus)

I'm wanting to move the cardinal on also which will only leave me with 4 fish in total. I'm undecided what to do in regards to adding a few more fish. I'd love to try and get a male/female pair of mandarins as I dearly miss my Mandy after loosing her earlier this year. I'd also love to try a leopard wrasse again as my original attempt only lasted 4-5 days. Other wrasses are also an option but I'm wary of other smaller wrasses seeing as the Secretive Wrasse has shown aggression to other wrasses of similar size (killing a flasher wrasse I added to the tank). I'm open to suggestions! :)

Hi, Jase!!!!

I'd give fish recommendations, but all of mine are little gobies or pygmy wrasses.  I have a feeling you want bigger fish :D

• Like 1

I am on the hunt for a foxface and copperband butterfly myself.  Some of my other fav fish are:

• Midas blenny (but you already have a blenny)
  • Longnose hawkfish
  • Flame or potters angel (if you wanna risk it)
  • Royal gamma
  • Pair of red firefish
  • And finally....moooar tangs!
  • Like 1
21 minutes ago, gena said:

Hi, Jase!!!!

I'd give fish recommendations, but all of mine are little gobies or pygmy wrasses.  I have a feeling you want bigger fish :D

Hey Gena!!! I do like little gobies, the thought crossed my mind to get a couple of clown gobies. I did have some in my old tank, my only concern would be the happiness of my SPS.

8 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

I am on the hunt for a foxface and copperband butterfly myself.  Some of my other fav fish are:

• Midas blenny (but you already have a blenny)
  • Longnose hawkfish
  • Flame or potters angel (if you wanna risk it)
  • Royal gamma
  • Pair of red firefish
  • And finally....moooar tangs!

A magnificent fox face has crossed my mind also, really nice fish and should be fine in a tank my size. I'd be wary of another blenny, I wanted to pick up a lawnmover a while ago but was talked out of it. Hawkfish are also cool and have been on my list for a while, just don't want one eating my acro crabs lol. Angels are something else I have considered, maybe a coral beauty or flame angel, it is a risk though. Royal Gramma are not something I have considered (very pricey here) but I'll keep it in mind. I've had firefish and they were cool, never thought about a pair. Another tang would be cool also, maybe a yellow tang or something, I think a 55G is a tad small for two though (even with the intention of an upgrade within the next 18 months).

Thanks for the input, I'll go through my list and post up my favourites later on!

• Like 2

I love wrasses.  Flasher wrasses are too timid though to deal with the more aggressive wrasses.  I think you'd be good as long as you get a larger one of the more aggressive wrasses.  For example, I think a big yellow coris wrasse would work or a big candy stripe hogfish.  I've had both of those that could definitely stand their own with other wrasses.  A large fairy wrasse could also maybe work.  They're kind of in between flasher wrasses and melanarus/mystery wrasses in terms of aggressiveness.  Maybe a large red headed solon fairy wrasse or exquisite fairy wrasse could work.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Felicia said:

I love wrasses.  Flasher wrasses are too timid though to deal with the more aggressive wrasses.  I think you'd be good as long as you get a larger one of the more aggressive wrasses.  For example, I think a big yellow coris wrasse would work or a big candy stripe hogfish.  I've had both of those that could definitely stand their own with other wrasses.  A large fairy wrasse could also maybe work.  They're kind of in between flasher wrasses and melanarus/mystery wrasses in terms of aggressiveness.  Maybe a large red headed solon fairy wrasse or exquisite fairy wrasse could work.

I love wrasses too! They are such a colourful addition to the reef and they generally are open water swimmers which adds nice movement. Yeah, I learnt that mistake the hard way, I was considering getting rid of the secretive wrasse (if I could catch it) but I do like the fish. He is colourful, inquisitive and  is always out and about. On the other hand my Melanurus wrasse is a total fraidy cat though and gets pushed around by the kole tang quite easily. Yellow coris wrasses have become quite popular here lately so I'll add that to my list also. I did have a candy stripe hog fish at one stage in my cube also, a really nice fish. A fairy wrasse is a nice option though, my LFS has been getting some really nice pairs in lately. The Solon or Equisite are nice options as well, I've had my eyes on a Solon for a while but thought they may be too large for my tank.

Too many options! Thanks for the input though Felicia! :)