Top Shelf Aquatics

My 100G tank

jstuver

It's been awhile since I put a thread up about a tank. I got completely out last years until Feb. of this year when I picked up a small biocube, I upgraded pretty fast to a 54g corner tank and then came across this custom made tank and decided I loved it. It is 34" tall 35" long and 19" wide so almost 100g. I had a stand and canopy custom made by my husbands cousin and got all my stuff moved over towards the end of May. The height of course creates a challenge to work in but I love it and the fact that it is set up peninsula style, my favorite type of tank!

Here are a few pics, I will update with equipment and what not laterclear.png

Equipment List:

24" ATi dimmable 8 bulb

24" Blue Reef Brite LED

20 gallon long sump

Jebao(Jecod) DCT 8000

Jebao RW-4 powerhead

Jebao DP-4 dosing pump

ATO auto top off

Apex Jr

My view walking into the room

DSC04624_zps3ixeqbfr.jpg

Love this favia frag

DSC04625_zpsy3df88am.jpg

Huge hammer has over 100 heads

DSC04603_zpssp7gwgft.jpg

Rock flower anemones

DSC04617_zpscabfdan7.jpg

Blastos (I have a nice collection going of different ones)

DSC04598_zpsjpnioilu.jpg

Awesome mushroom

DSC04593_zps6ecsylfr.jpg

Love this lobo

DSC04616_zps71v28wqa.jpg

Pinner Reef

Hey Jackie! Thanks for posting up on this forum. I stalk you systems on WMAS whenever I can. Very awesome work. B)

I'm interested in how you are lighting that. That's a really tall tank to light but still looks great.

I have an ATi 8 bulb dimmable 24" fixture

Hey Jackie! Thanks for posting up on this forum. I stalk you systems on WMAS whenever I can. Very awesome work. B)

LOL thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Updated first post with equipment list.

Thought this was a cool pic of my favia with just the Reef Brite blue LED on:

EE091899-1B8D-40AA-94FA-8CF9288867D2_zps

Photo UPDATE:

Don't mind the big white disk glued to the overflow, I had montis that kept getting monti eating nudis so I finally chucked them as I got frustrated with trying to eradicate them. However the disk would not come off the wall lol

FTS 6/23/15

DSC05402_zpsbqlv02ex.jpg

DSC05403_zpsaavr5p89.jpg

DSC05404_zpsb36ageel.jpg

And some corals:

Torch

DSC05397_zpsvhtjlm8q.jpg

Acan frag

DSC05389_zpsatzoyqdn.jpg

Ricordia rock

DSC05393_zpsi3940h38.jpg

Bi-color hammer colony

DSC05388_zpstkp8c6no.jpg

Purple tip hammer/frogspwn colony

DSC05394_zpswyjamyke.jpg

Kryptonite candy canes

DSC05396_zpsxrgx6hmo.jpg

Trachy

DSC05391_zpsjhube2iq.jpg

Duncans

DSC05383_zpstphfduyd.jpg

Red with green center blasto

DSC05386_zpsiqkn7ivo.jpg

Rock flower nems

DSC05380_zpsyjybxcdd.jpg

Bowerbanki frag

DSC05382_zpsa97pvfls.jpg

My favorite blasto

DSC05387_zps0fupzuxy.jpg

Green bubble

DSC05381_zpslydiykwo.jpg

Future TOTM.

Wow thank you!

NICE!!! Great looking tank, everything looks happy!

Thanks! Everything seems pretty happy right now:)

Following as well :).

Awesome, I read through yours all the time:)

Very nice, thanks for starting a thread about it!

Some SPS up top would be perfect. :D

Yeah I have one little Millie frag glued to the top but want to put a few more eventually:)

I love love love the dimensions how to you position corals, will your arm reach all the way down?

Haha nope, I have gripper things to help me and I made my reluctant husband help as well! He is not a fish tank guy so it's rather amusing to make him help me out:)

Amazing reef tank!

Cleaning the glass must be a pain in the butt?

I use a mag float with the scraper attachment. Thank you!

Kick ass tank.

It's totally different than whats "in" right now. Most people go for the shallow tanks but this is really tall. I think it's the size that makes it work. It's big enough that you can fit some impressive larger corals in there!

I'm particularly fond of your Euphyllia. I also like the RFA's.

Also quite the upgrade story! That's a rapid upgrade progression for sure.

Any plans for fish - or is this going to be a coral only tank?

Finally, I realize the return pump is pretty powerful, however, do you find circulation a bit light with just the RW-4 in there?

NorthGaHillbilly

Very nice, thanks for starting a thread about it!

Some SPS up top would be perfect. :D

SPS pusher :P

Kick ass tank.

It's totally different than whats "in" right now. Most people go for the shallow tanks but this is really tall. I think it's the size that makes it work. It's big enough that you can fit some impressive larger corals in there!

Finally, I realize the return pump is pretty powerful, however, do you find circulation a bit light with just the RW-4 in there?

Thank you! I love shallow tanks but I also love odd dimensions so when I found this and I could do my favorite peninsula style tank I jumped on it!

I have been in and out of the hobby for 7+ years. I took down my last tank to take care of my Mother In-Law while she was dying from brain cancer, having a tank and taking care of her got to be too much. So 8 months later I decided I couldn't stand not having a tank anymore and bought one I thought I'd like. When someone listed this one it happened to be a tank that I had seen in my fresh water days and I jumped on it:)

I love euphyllia corals I think they might be my favorite, I am a huge fan of things that move!

As for enough flow, this tank is kind of weird with the return. There is the return at the top and then there is one halfway down the overflow as well. So we plumbed the main pump to return via the top one and we then added a second pump inside the overflow to basically work as a powerhead through the other return nozzle, that pump has an anti siphon valve on it so that it doesn't overflow the sump if the power goes off. Then I have the RW-4. I think I may want to add a second RW-4 for the other side but just haven't yet.

Kick ass tank.

I don't necessarily think it has to do with the tanks themselves but rather the lighting for the tanks. Simply put, lighting a tank is almost always going to be expensive. Shallow tanks obviously don't need as much light which is a huge benefit. They also give you a larger footprint which means more frag space which is obviously a huge plus as well. I know when I saw this tank, the first thing I did was ask about the lighting because I knew that it would have to be something powerful in order to get those corals to grow so well at that depth. Overall, the tank looks amazing and another benefit would be that you can have more than one tank in the same space, haha.

I don't think it's just the lighting, I think it's a fad that we were all going through. It does make it much easier to light a shallow tank though. I personally love shallow tanks and one of my all time favorite tanks I have owned was my zero edge overflowing shallow tank, I miss that thing but couldn't even consider another one as we have two husky pups and they would constantly be in it!

Archived