Top Shelf Aquatics

New Blue Ricordias Arrived Today!

Tigahboy

Hello folks,

I received 4 blue ricordia polyps from etropicals.com run by those Dr. Foster guys who also run liveaquaria.com.

Anyways...I have a question...

After placing the rics into my aquarium, I noticed a small 1 inch sliver (about 3-4 nodules(?) thick/wide; not a piece with the mouth on it) floating around in the bag. Should I keep this small piece in my aquarium or should I just throw it out?

Will it actually regenerate into a whole new polyp or is it pretty much dead and will pollute my water w/ ammonia, nitrites, toxins, etc.?

Also, I noticed 3 of my polyps have 2 mouth holes...Is this common? The other only has 1 mouth hole.

Any input will be much appreciated! Thanks!

Totally normal for them to have more than one mouth. Some of mine are the same way.

Over time they may split into more with each having 1 mouth at a time.

I would save the sliver by putting it in a shot glass or small non-toxic dish with some netting over top on top of some rubble. It could very well live and even regenerate into a whole new ric! It isn't big enough to case problems and this was you can also keep your eye on it. If it starts lookin funky, common sense: flush.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. That's a good idea (the sliver in a cup idea)!

Here's a pic of the sliver:

ricsliver.jpg

Here's a pic of the new ric:

newric1.jpg

New ric under Blue lights:

newric2.jpg

Sorry, I don't have any photography skills!

Even though those are considered "common" I love the look of blue rics... come to think of it, I don't even have any that color. Now you have given me a mission.

Yeah I wouldn't toss it until you are sure. What I have done successfully is the shot glass method and now I am expirimenting with a prescription bottle with holes I punched all over it. This is way easier, but I am worried about flow and light. No netting to attach is wayy nicer to work with tho so we will see.

Good luck,

Chris

BTW that sliver is fairly big, there is a very good chance there is some stalk on it.

Also, garf.org has some great easy-to-follow fragging articles.

quick question...how do you keep the net attached to the shotglass? Rubberband? I would think rubberbands would pollute the water (but not sure)...

kris_willard

nope...what i did when i had some floater mushrooms was take a small yogurt cup and i filled it with lr rubble the i went to walmart and picked up some brides vail i put the loose shrroms in with the lr put the vail over the small yogurt cup i cut in half and rubber banded it on. The shrooms attached in like 1 week.

Archived