Innovative Marine Aquariums

Light for 2.5g

Mothi

Help me pick a light for my 2.5g tank. I want to keep polpys and some small frags of hard corals. How many watts?

So far I am thinking the Mini Aqualight (double 9 watt) or the DrsFosterandSmith double 18 watt light fixture.

Or is it cheaper to put my own together? Suggestions for what specific brand you use and where to buy?

I prefer feedback from people who already have a working 2.5g tank set up. I finally figured out what filter, so getting closer to getting the tank together.

Cellenzweig

I just bought some 13w lights from www.ahsupply.com. I got the 2x13w kits without reflectors and made my own. I was $15 for the 2 ballasts and sockets and about 7 for each bulb. So, about $30 +shipping. I don't know what the aqualights cost, but I think they are more than $30

Cellenzweig

I would get one of each and skip the 50/50. That way you can wire them seperately and have them on seperate times to simulate dusk and dawn. I just ordered 3 for my 0.75g pico - 2x10k and 1xactinic (extreme overkill!). They are VERY bright!

Okay, I went ahead and purchased the 2 x 13watt Bright Kit with 1 13 watt 7" 10000K and 1 13 watt 7" Deep Blue 03. Let's hope I can put this thing together. :) Gonna make the hood the best I can this weekend.

Btw, what paint should I paint the interior of the hood? How do I water/salt proof the hood? What fan and how do I hook it up?

Cellenzweig

What are you going to make the hood out of? If wood, what type? Think ahead when you design the hood. Do you want it to open? Is there enough room for the lights. Is there a space for plumbing or filters, etc.

For a fan, you could go with a 60mm or 80mm computer fan and a 10-12v power adapter.

I want to make it out of pine, but not sure on thickness. I don't have a table saw, so I will have to use a hand saw... Unless someone near me wants to help out. :D **hint** **hint**

I want the back open with a fan (not sure on what fan or how to hook it up though). Inside will be painted white (not sure what paint) and outside painted black (again not sure what paint), with gloss. Screws will be covered with wood putty and will need to sand the whole thing. Lights will be on a spacer (if I can do it). Top will hopefully have hinges to flip half the top up.

I don't know what dimension to make yet, but will need to check thickness of wood to get a clue. :D

I just ordered a bunch of stuff to get the tank going. Got a AQ 300 (to be refugium) with mini impeller. Bought the suface skimmer too (which probably won't fit, but I could always use it in my 10g tanks). Hoping for auto top off.

Am I forgetting anything? This is my first tank needing so much work. I hope I get all the diy right.

Archived