Top Shelf Aquatics

June 2015 Featured Reef - Wawawang's 40 Gallon Nano Reef

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks

For June we're featuring Wawawang and his 40 gallon nano reef aquarium!

featuredreef.jpg
Click the picture above to check out his reef profile! You can find Wawawang's aquarium journal in our Members Aquariums forum. Feel free to post any comments or questions you may have for Wawawang, and he'll try his best to answer them.

The Xenia and clams are my fav part of this tank, the rest is beautiful too but that part just leaves me mesmerized looking at it.

The Xenia and clams are my fav part of this tank, the rest is beautiful too but that part just leaves me mesmerized looking at it.

That's my favorite part too. Imagine the Xenia pulsing!

Fantastic tank, really enjoyed looking through the TOTM writeup. One of the most unique nano's I have seen.

Congratulations! Very interesting about removing 1-2 cups of sand and replacing with same amount, was it once a month you said?

Congratulations! Very interesting about removing 1-2 cups of sand and replacing with same amount, was it once a month you said?

Thanks! I remove around half a cup of sand per water change and replace 1-2 cups per month with aragalive oolite.

HarryPotter

Thanks! I remove around half a cup of sand per water change and replace 1-2 cups per month with aragalive oolite.

Why? Im curious what benefit this provides :)?

Is it to remove waste, to add bacteria, etc?

After just removing a two year old sandbed, I see where this might be something worth doing regularly. Sand is pretty disgusting, even when it's half-way decently maintained.

Why? Im curious what benefit this provides :)?

Is it to remove waste, to add bacteria, etc?

Yes remove waste, introduce bacteria, maintain a white fresh looking sand bed.

I find a white fresh looking oolite sandbed really makes my clam island pop.

TopLeft_zpsbzxnxt6t.jpg

FlowerMama

Yep, I'm wondering how I missed seeing this tank as well. Besides there being just so many members. Looks like a piece of art. Gorgeous, well thought out. Kudos!!!

Archived