SaltCritters.com

The Pastel Garden: Drop-Off

gena

Just got an email from my stepdad. There was a plan to plant a tree with memorial at the elementary school that my mom worked at as the librarian. For those that don't know, she passed away back in June of this year. Today was the day they planted the tree. You can see another tree that was planted for a teacher that passed in the background. That's what my mom's will look like when it's completed.

I just found it touching that they would do that for her. She loved that job, her coworkers, and the kids.

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-24%20at%206.29.1

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-24%20at%206.33.0

I know this is off-topic...but those that have been in my shoes will understand :flower:.

• Like 19

What a loving gesture by the faculty and school! I take it the furthest large tree in back was done for same? Beautiful.

I'm not sure about the tree way in the back, but I know the one closer with the memorial plaque on the ground is the same. That tree in the very back was probably there when I was going to school there!!!! :D

Is that Bill Murray?

I know it's not, but he could seriously pull it off.

:lol: Never made that connection before, but you are right! He could be his brother!

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. This memorial means a lot to my family and I wanted to share that happiness with you guys :flower:.

Ok.....it's FRIDAY :happydance: So ready for the weekend! I have those photos I promised :).

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-25%20at%2012.02.

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-25%20at%2012.02.

First attempt at top-down. It's really difficult with this tank because I can't get the camera directly over the tank because the light is too low over the tank. Oh well...this will have to do :).

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-25%20at%2012.09.

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-25%20at%2012.09.

4 fish in one shot and not a one is in focus LOL

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-25%20at%2012.05.

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-25%20at%2012.06.

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-25%20at%2012.05.

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-25%20at%2012.04.

Have a lovely weekend everyone :happy:.

• Like 14

Thanks, everyone!!!! Hope you are enjoying your weekend...I know I am. I live for the weekend and being with my family :happy:.

What camera do you use?

Canon T2i

I've been feeding less of the flake food and more frozen food plus I switched out the Chemipure Blue for a mix of carbon and gfo in a media bag, in my HOB filter. Much less shmutz in my tank :happydance:. So hopefully I won't even need to add a macroalgae to the tank since it would most likely quite quickly take over things in there :).

• Like 1

Chemipure blue not working out for you? I would think its better since it has purigen like thingy in it too.

Nope...not working well for me. I've been changing it out once a month and I have a bunch of carbon and GFO left from my reactor days so figured instead of spending close to $10 every month I'd use up what I have of the carbon/gfo :). It's still too early to decide if it's making a big difference since it's been less than a week. But I felt the CB not really doing a great job for me. I might try Purigen next. I have a big container of that too.
  • Like 2

Are you still looking for acting spots this fall? I know, totally change of topic but I know how much you enjoyed it.

I am planning to. I looked last week and didn't see anything local which is all I want to go for. I love the Warner Brother's Lot so those are the shows I'm going to try to get on :happy:.

Such a beautiful gesture, planting that tree :flower: .

I so agree :flower:.
  • Like 1

Hi Gena! Sorry for being MIA again! Tank looks lovely! Your tank looks clean to me, but I know we always nit pick our own tanks. Mines a bit of a mess right now too from neglecting it lately. I always hate seeing hair algae and brown gunk on the sand even if it's not that much.

I really love that little colony of merlettis and that fox coral. Those are both so impressive!

Sorry to hear you lost one of your sponges. They're so hit or miss! So far mine are doing well but I guarantee you I'll lose a couple of them. Mine were all pretty small this time around. The yellow frillies and the yellow ball sponge were teeny.

Wow! The cats are so big! They grow up so fast!

• Like 1

Hi Gena! Sorry for being MIA again! Tank looks lovely! Your tank looks clean to me, but I know we always nit pick our own tanks. Mines a bit of a mess right now too from neglecting it lately. I always hate seeing hair algae and brown gunk on the sand even if it's not that much.

I really love that little colony of merlettis and that fox coral. Those are both so impressive!

Sorry to hear you lost one of your sponges. They're so hit or miss! So far mine are doing well but I guarantee you I'll lose a couple of them. Mine were all pretty small this time around. The yellow frillies and the yellow ball sponge were teeny.

Wow! The cats are so big! They grow up so fast!

Thanks, Felicia!!!! At least I know now to steer clear of the red sponges. My yellows are doing great. Even my tiny ball sponge is hanging in there :).

Those merlettis are my favorite. They are growing super fast too. I've been feeding the blastos (but not too much) from Eddie in hopes that they start growing fast too so the merlettis don't overtake them. I have noticed some growth with them so that's promising. I never feed the fox coral. I've tried but it doesn't seem to be interested. It must just take whatever it gets from the water column and also the light.

It's a water change day here. My tank is better than last week as far as the "dirty" but it's still not perfect. I think it will be a constant struggle with 6 fish in there. But I'm not giving up any of my fish LOL. I'll just have to do extra cleaning weekly.

• Like 3

Yeah, I haven't had much luck with the red sponges. I tried a bunch in the seahorse tank and they all died except one large red ball sponge that is indestructible and is in my current tank now. I've had it for probably several years now and its still going strong. I decided to gamble and try a red ball sponge and nano red tree sponge with my latest KPA order. I figure they'll probably die, but maybe I'll luck out and get another indestructible one. Luckily the yellow ones do sooooo much better for some reason! I had several yellow ball sponges that lasted long term and the frilly sponges seem to be the hardiest.

I was wondering if the merlettis had grown a bunch for you. They look like they're turning into quite the colony! I think most blastos grow pretty slow, but I bet feeding them helps. My fox coral doesn't show any interest in food either. They don't really have feeder tentacles, which is why they're considered a low agression LPS.

Good luck with the water change. I'm overstock too, so I feel you. But we love our fish!

• Like 2

Yeah, I haven't had much luck with the red sponges. I tried a bunch in the seahorse tank and they all died except one large red ball sponge that is indestructible and is in my current tank now. I've had it for probably several years now and its still going strong. I decided to gamble and try a red ball sponge and nano red tree sponge with my latest KPA order. I figure they'll probably die, but maybe I'll luck out and get another indestructible one. Luckily the yellow ones do sooooo much better for some reason! I had several yellow ball sponges that lasted long term and the frilly sponges seem to be the hardiest.

I was wondering if the merlettis had grown a bunch for you. They look like they're turning into quite the colony! I think most blastos grow pretty slow, but I bet feeding them helps. My fox coral doesn't show any interest in food either. They don't really have feeder tentacles, which is why they're considered a low agression LPS.

Good luck with the water change. I'm overstock too, so I feel you. But we love our fish!

I have a small orange/red sponge growing on my live rock. It's not ball shaped, but maybe over time it will turn into something nice. That may be the only way for me to get that color sponge going in my tank :).

Yep...no feeders ever on the Fox coral. They remind me a lot of a mushroom coral. They even do the protruding mouth thing sometimes, like a mushroom will do.

Water change was a success. I cleaned out all the algae, for the most part. Until I have to do it all over again next week LOL. Oh well, it's worth it to keep all the fish I love :wub:.

• Like 2

So happy it's Friday and the weekend but I've had better Fridays. Today was the day I took the big guy in to be put to sleep. I thought I would have to do it yesterday but he made it one more day. I wouldn't bring it up here because it's so depressing but I know a few of you are familiar with him and so I wanted to let those people know. 19.5 years old. RIP

1996-2015

arty%206-11-15_zpskctdts2t.png

And I know the page is going to change but I'm going to post these tank photos here anyways. Maybe someone can bump them to the next page for me.

Have a great weekend everyone!!!!!

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-02%20at%203.06.5

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-02%20at%203.06.2

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-02%20at%203.05.1

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-02%20at%203.07.3

• Like 6