Pod Your Reef

The Pastel Garden: Drop-Off

gena

is it starting to darken up in some spots? mine started to develop dark patches, then the patches turned clear, then started to disintegrate. hope yours pull through!

Yes, but I think the darkening is algae???? But it's turning white around the edges which I know is a bad sign. I think I had it in too bright of lighting. I've moved it to some shade but it may need even more shade. I don't have high hopes for it but not that big of a deal since I actually prefer the frillys more :).

Mine looks the same as the day I put it in. I guess it is ok. I had to glue down the yellow frilly twice. It seems to like to move. When I feed my gorgonians, I puff some food towards them too just in case they can eat it. I also turkey baste off my rock work several times a week hopeing it will feed something in the tank. I do like them very much so I am hopeing they make it. I would like a few more after buying two acans today I realized I am just out of room. Especially once everything fills in. Whats your red sponge doing to make you think it is not doing well?

I thought yours looked great! It's in complete shade too? Like I mentioned above, I think mine was getting too much light. Maybe I'll move it to total shade and see what happens. Mine is starting to turn white/clear along the edges.
  • Like 1

In regards to the whole "we know our tank is dirty, but onlookers don't" thing... I had a non-fish-inclined friend over today. She looked at my Florida tank and the thing she was mesmerized the most by, was the green bubble algae. :rolleyes:

I only want the red grape and some ochtodes though. Let me know if you see that for sale :). I haven't started looking yet, but I will.

I have red grape and Codium. I've only ever mailed algae once -- but the recipient told me it survived. Lemme know if you'd like me to try sending you some.

• Like 4

Yes, I put them both in complete shade as I needed to brighten up the cave on my right island and I was told they dont need light.

I moved the sponge today...it looks even worse today. I think I'll just pull it out completely. It's not all the way dead, but it's definitely headed that direction.

In regards to the whole "we know our tank is dirty, but onlookers don't" thing... I had a non-fish-inclined friend over today. She looked at my Florida tank and the thing she was mesmerized the most by, was the green bubble algae. :rolleyes:

I have red grape and Codium. I've only ever mailed algae once -- but the recipient told me it survived. Lemme know if you'd like me to try sending you some.

LOL..about the bubble algae :). I have a friend that thought it was cool looking too LOL.

You are awesome! I would take the red grape. I want to hold off though to see if I can control it with water changes first. I know you are going out of state soon so hopefully I can catch you before you leave, but if not, maybe at a later date. Thanks for the offer!!!!!!

In off-topic news. We are in the process of selling my mom's house in Indiana (my childhood home). A family friend (was like another son to my mom) is hoping to buy it. He's married and has two kids. My parents were around his age when they bought that house :). He just put his house on the market today. My life has been an emotional roller coaster since June. I'm sad to lose the house but so happy that it will most likely go to "family". And will be a place we can visit in the future. All 3 of us kids adore that house but none of us are in a position to purchase it. So this is the next best thing. Anyways...this whole thing has been weighing heavily on me lately which has been a distraction from the reef....for shame LOL. Just thinking out loud here :flower:.

I'm going to hold off on posting any new photos until my tank is clean again :).

• Like 7

You are awesome! I would take the red grape. I want to hold off though to see if I can control it with water changes first. I know you are going out of state soon so hopefully I can catch you before you leave, but if not, maybe at a later date. Thanks for the offer!!!!!!

I finalized my plans today. I will be driving to NC on Sunday, so end of this week is your only chance for awhile. However, I know I will be back in Columbus the end of October (have a recheck of my stress fracture), so if your tank is happier then I can ship when I'm back. It should be a little cooler then which would be better I imagine for shipping as well. The red grape grows well in my Nuvo8, so I"m always trimming it back.

I know what you mean about the sadness of "losing" the house, but it is kinda cool that it is going to "family"!

• Like 1

Sorry you have been thru so much the last many months. Hugs from Georgia. I pray all goes well with the purchase of this home and you will them feel more at peace. God be with you.

• Like 1

I finalized my plans today. I will be driving to NC on Sunday, so end of this week is your only chance for awhile. However, I know I will be back in Columbus the end of October (have a recheck of my stress fracture), so if your tank is happier then I can ship when I'm back. It should be a little cooler then which would be better I imagine for shipping as well. The red grape grows well in my Nuvo8, so I"m always trimming it back.

I know what you mean about the sadness of "losing" the house, but it is kinda cool that it is going to "family"!

I'm sure the weather will be much better then. It's been ridiculous here lately although I think we're supposed to get rain tonight and tomorrow...woohoo :). I'll work on my tank in the meantime trying to reduce the nutrients. I want the macro but it's going to take up a lot of room so if I can reduce nutrients another way, I'd rather go that route. But I will let you know if I do want to purchase some from you when you are back home again :).

Sorry you have been thru so much the last many months. Hugs from Georgia. I pray all goes well with the purchase of this home and you will them feel more at peace. God be with you.

Awww...thank you my friend :flower:. It's just been traumatizing to say the least. I really hope our friend can buy the house. It would make it all so much easier fingerscrossed.

Woot....two more days until cleaning day LOL. I did a little cleanup today because I just couldn't take it anymore. Just pulled some algae. I still have a back glass that looks like the pits :).

• Like 1

I had someone come into the house for my weekend garage sale and look at my 55g freshwater and well, it was just easier to tell them that every living thing in the salt water tanks were corals and anemones. It was too much to explain what an invertebrate was. It is though fun seeing what people are blown away by.

• Like 4

I had someone come into the house for my weekend garage sale and look at my 55g freshwater and well, it was just easier to tell them that every living thing in the salt water tanks were corals and anemones. It was too much to explain what an invertebrate was. It is though fun seeing what people are blown away by.

LOL My same friend asked me if the zoas that I have on plugs on a rack in my tank (part of my Aquascapers group buy) would eventually "crawl off the plugs onto the rockwork when they were grown up."

Pretty adorable!

• Like 1

LOL My same friend asked me if the zoas that I have on plugs on a rack in my tank (part of my Aquascapers group buy) would eventually "crawl off the plugs onto the rockwork when they were grown up."

Pretty adorable!

Can you imagine if they did do that??? :wacko: LOL That would be freaky!

Anyone here on Instagram? I just discovered it today :lol:. Actually, I've had an account for awhile but never did anything with it......until today :).

If you are on instagram...let me know so I can follow you!!!! I do reef stuff, garden, flowers, dogs, cats, and pretty much anything that I like will go up there. Should be a nice mix!

• Like 3

Anyone here on Instagram? I just discovered it today :lol:. Actually, I've had an account for awhile but never did anything with it......until today :).

If you are on instagram...let me know so I can follow you!!!! I do reef stuff, garden, flowers, dogs, cats, and pretty much anything that I like will go up there. Should be a nice mix!

I just signed up today: kimbomk :happydance:

Thank you :flower:. Tomorrow is cleaning day and then new photos :happydance:.

Hey, where are our new photos to ooooo and aaaaah at?!?!

• Like 1

I just signed up today: kimbomk :happydance:

Hey, where are our new photos to ooooo and aaaaah at?!?!

I just looked...sent you a request :).

I have photos!!!! I wasn't really feeling it with the camera today. They turned out "ok". I think I'm photo'd OUT from instagram LOL.

Anyways........

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-24%20at%201.24.0

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-24%20at%201.23.0

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-24%20at%201.22.5

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-24%20at%201.24.4

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-24%20at%201.23.3

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-24%20at%201.25.2

• Like 15
thecoralbeauty

I just looked...sent you a request :).

I have photos!!!! I wasn't really feeling it with the camera today. They turned out "ok". I think I'm photo'd OUT from instagram LOL.

Anyways........

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-24%20at%201.24.0

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-24%20at%201.23.0

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-24%20at%201.22.5

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-24%20at%201.24.4

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-24%20at%201.23.3

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-24%20at%201.25.2

I CANT GET OVER THAT FOX CORAL AND BRAIN!!!! AHHH.... so much fun squishy LPS love. so beautiful!!!

• Like 2

I wonder if there is much difference between his Teal and his Cobalt!

Necro-quote!

I was up at Tidal Gardens yesterday and checked out his Trumpets. He had the Cobalt and Neon Green. In person what he was calling Cobalt looked like what I would call Turquoise... sorta. They were a little grey to be honest. Since he grows out his corals in a greenhouse, the summer sun really blasts his stuff and it all tends to fade in the summer. So I'm fairly sure under tank conditions the Cobalts would settle into a Turquoise.

• Like 1

Pure beauty and sqeeky clean! I can see you had fun on Wednesday! Very nice. I love your little crab. I am always so happy to try to find him in your pictures. He was right there front and center this time!

• Like 1

Did you get them or hold off to give them some time to see if they turn?

Didn't get them. I got some all red Blasto merlettis and some Caribbean origin zoas that are orange.

• Like 1

Thank you my friends :).

Necro-quote!

I was up at Tidal Gardens yesterday and checked out his Trumpets. He had the Cobalt and Neon Green. In person what he was calling Cobalt looked like what I would call Turquoise... sorta. They were a little grey to be honest. Since he grows out his corals in a greenhouse, the summer sun really blasts his stuff and it all tends to fade in the summer. So I'm fairly sure under tank conditions the Cobalts would settle into a Turquoise.

Ok....thanks! It sounds like it's similar to the turquoise that I have. Not that I have room for anymore trumpets anyways but if I find something REALLY unique, I won't be able to resist! Thanks for the update :D.

Yeah.....red sponge was removed. It wasn't completely dead but I hated looking at a half dead sponge. The others are doing just fine though so I'm ok with it :).

I spent quite a bit of time yesterday getting it squeaky clean, and yet of course today when taking photos I see some bubble algae that I missed. Never fails LOL.

I'll see if I can do a better job with my photos tomorrow. I didn't take much time with them. Didn't try to adjust the white balance or anything. If I have time tomorrow, I will do that :).

Oh shucks LOL. Guess I need to do that for sure tomorrow. Can't have a page without photos :).

• Like 5