Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Pastel Garden: Drop-Off

gena

1 minute ago, teenyreef said:

I am just so disappointed to see it's a leak. Arrgh :angry:

I think it would be cool to see what you do with a 10g desktop - I've always liked everything about my IM10 except not much room in the back for a skimmer. Low maintenance and you can see everything right up close, so it's more like growing a bonsai tree than growing a garden. You can work on getting everything "just right".

Me too!  Well, we'll see what IM says.  I think if they offer to send another one, I'll ask for an IM20 instead.  It's a cheaper tank.  I just don't want to risk another one of these.  I'm tired of taking them down and transferring everything to a new tank.  I'll also move the tank into my craft room.  I'm in there all the time, so what better place than the room I'm constantly in? LOL

My husband is scouring craigslist for a "stand".  We are so tired of making tank stands :lol:.  Looks like IM20 is where I'm headed either way.

Isn't the 10g acrylic?  I want to go back to glass.  And if I go with the bigger size, I'll be able to keep everything I already have.  That's the main thing.

• Like 5

:( I would clamp it somewhere to relieve stress so it doesn't get worse, giving you some time.  So many of these small tanks simply can't stand the test of time, or at least that seems to be a common theme.   

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, markalot said:

:( I would clamp it somewhere to relieve stress so it doesn't get worse, giving you some time.  So many of these small tanks simply can't stand the test of time, or at least that seems to be a common theme.   

What about tape?  I have some gaffers tape I could put across the front from left side to right side?  Will look hideous :lol:.  Where would you put the clamps?

Oh...probably across the top?  horizontally?

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I am just so disappointed to see it's a leak. Arrgh :angry:

So much THIS!!!! :closedeyes:

25 minutes ago, gena said:

Me too!  Well, we'll see what IM says.  I think if they offer to send another one, I'll ask for an IM20 instead.  It's a cheaper tank.  I just don't want to risk another one of these.  I'm tired of taking them down and transferring everything to a new tank.  I'll also move the tank into my craft room.  I'm in there all the time, so what better place than the room I'm constantly in? LOL

My husband is scouring craigslist for a "stand".  We are so tired of making tank stands :lol:.  Looks like IM20 is where I'm headed either way.

Isn't the 10g acrylic?  I want to go back to glass.  And if I go with the bigger size, I'll be able to keep everything I already have.  That's the main thing.

That's not a bad idea at all, makes good sense to me. 

Please don't quit, we LOOOOOOVE your tanks!!!!

• Like 1

My first thought was where I put the red arrows, but it may also be stress due to a height issue along the orange axis.  Maybe the lower shelf is too low (or high) and causing the seam to break?  Your closeup shows what appears to be a bend but might be just a lens artifact.  

ILXcz5k.png

Your closeup:

592c405069b3e_ScreenShot2017-05-29at8_26

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

So much THIS!!!! :closedeyes:

That's not a bad idea at all, makes good sense to me. 

Please don't quit, we LOOOOOOVE your tanks!!!!

I tell ya, last night when I couldn't sleep (because of this ordeal), I was totally gonna quit.  Even told my husband at 2am (I woke him up tossing and turning LOL), I'm gonna quit.  He said, just wait and see how you feel in the morning.  He was right.  I don't really want to quit :).     

3 minutes ago, markalot said:

My first thought was where I put the red arrows, but it may also be stress due to a height issue along the orange axis.  Maybe the lower shelf is too low (or high) and causing the seam to break?  You closeup shows what appears to be a bend but might be just a lens artifact.  

ILXcz5k.png

So should I put the clamp at the  red arrow?  across the front? 

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, gena said:

So should I put the clamp at the  red arrow?  across the front? 

I wish I had a definitive answer but I don't.  Look carefully at the dropoff, is the glass bent downwards?  If so I would place some wedges on the bottom to relieve the stress, otherwise a gentle clamp where the red arrows are might do well, or might not.  Something is causing the silicone to leak and that's usually an imbalance causing one pane of glass or acrylic to pull down or push up, breaking the seam.

It might also be crappy tank construction and simple failure due to that. :( 

• Like 1

I loooved my im20. Only reason I didn't keep it was cause I wasn't sure I'd have enough room when I moved. I wish I'd kept it in storage. I'm considering one for a mantis tank in a year...

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, markalot said:

I wish I had a definitive answer but I don't.  Look carefully at the dropoff, is the glass bent downwards?  If so I would place some wedges on the bottom to relieve the stress, otherwise a gentle clamp where the red arrows are might do well, or might not.  Something is causing the silicone to leak and that's usually an imbalance causing one pane of glass or acrylic to pull down or push up, breaking the seam.

It might also be crappy tank construction and simple failure due to that. :( 

I don't see any bends.  I think it's poor construction and can't handle the stress at that point.  Doesn't seem like it will explode.  I'll just let it go and get a replacement ASAP.  Looking for some sort of stand right now.  Thanks for your help, Mark!!!!!

2 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I loooved my im20. Only reason I didn't keep it was cause I wasn't sure I'd have enough room when I moved. I wish I'd kept it in storage. I'm considering one for a mantis tank in a year...

It looks like a really nice tank!  I'm definitely gonna go with one of those.  I don't hear of issues with those tanks.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, gena said:

It's a leak :tears:.  I knew about 11pm last night.  ugh.  Looked at tanks again last night.  Nothing is floating my boat that isn't soooo expensive.  I don't want to do HOB filter.  I don't want a sump.  I want my tank I have now LOL.  AIO.  White.  Pretty. LOL.  Ugh.  I was ready to take the whole thing down last night.  Like, not take it down last night, but was prepared to do it this week.  Now looking at the tank this morning, I don't want to do that.  I don't want to quit.  But then again, it would be nice to take a little break.  Get my thoughts together.  Plan something without a rush.  I'm not sure how fast I need to move on this.  I don't think it's a detrimental location where the tank will explode at any moment.  What do you guys think? 

Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 8.26.14 AM.png

Oh no!!!! That stinks so much!

5 hours ago, gena said:

Yep and this is the replacement.  Should have kept the original LOL.  I wrote the company,sent them a picture.  If they send me another, I won't set it up.  I'll just sell it.  Been burned twice now with this style tank.  Looks great, but they need to work out the kinks or something.  See that gap in the photo.  The tank fits as squarely as it possibly can on that pedestal, but there is still a gap at the top.  Maybe that put stress on the tank and it had a bad seam there. 

What should I do????  I was looking for the old school Red Sea Max on CL.   I think that one is a 34 gallon.  Or should I go way smaller and just keep a select few favorite corals....have a little desk top tank.  10 gallon max?

I'll wait to see what IM says :).  And thank you  :flower:

If you can get the IM 20 I'd definitely go for that, and if the dimensions are somewhat similar you can even keep using that great light! Glad to see you are still gonna stay in the game!:)

• Like 2

So sorry to hear about the tank leak Gena.  I have been there and it absolutely SUCKS.  Good thing it's not bad enough that you have to take down the tank right now.  Have you thought about the IM 25 Lagoon?  That's my dream tank if I ever start a new tank.  If you want to keep your stand, the IM 14 pennisula will fit right?  

• Like 1

Looks like Drs. Foster & Smith have 25% off today, and they carry the IM Fusion 20.  Looked like the coupon worked in my cart on it too! ;)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

So sorry to hear about the tank leak Gena.  I have been there and it absolutely SUCKS.  Good thing it's not bad enough that you have to take down the tank right now.  Have you thought about the IM 25 Lagoon?  That's my dream tank if I ever start a new tank.  If you want to keep your stand, the IM 14 pennisula will fit right?  

Thanks!  I just looked at the Lagoon...I like it but I think I want more height and less width.  My leather coral is pretty tall and the spot I'm putting the tank, the less wide it is, the better.  That tank would certainly give me lots of room though.  But gonna give it more thought for sure.  Thanks for the suggestion!!!!  I thought about the 14, but I wouldn't be able to keep everything, for sure, with that tank.  So it's out.  Now my husband is reading reviews on Amazon and is questioning buying from the same company after seeing people complain about cracks and seam splits. 

1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Looks like Drs. Foster & Smith have 25% off today, and they carry the IM Fusion 20.  Looked like the coupon worked in my cart on it too! ;)

I see that!  Thanks for the heads up!!!!

• Like 2

It's too bad you're not in my area - someone just listed an IM20 for sale with skimmer, inTank baskets, upgraded pump, and a powerhead for $200. Negotiable.

It's tempting to buy it for myself, but I have too many tanks already :D

Btw, both the IM10 and the IM20 are glass, no acrylic.

• Like 2

The issue your husband been reading about IM tanks are probably their old IM 16 and IM 24 that were notorious for leaking and busting open.  I haven't read anything like that about their IM 10, 20, 25, 40, or 50.  

• Like 4
2 hours ago, teenyreef said:

It's too bad you're not in my area - someone just listed an IM20 for sale with skimmer, inTank baskets, upgraded pump, and a powerhead for $200. Negotiable.

It's tempting to buy it for myself, but I have too many tanks already :D

Btw, both the IM10 and the IM20 are glass, no acrylic.

You should buy it ;):D

oh ok...I thought I read the 10 was acrylic.  That's great that it's not!

2 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

The issue your husband been reading about IM tanks are probably their old IM 16 and IM 24 that were notorious for leaking and busting open.  I haven't read anything like that about their IM 10, 20, 25, 40, or 50.  

You are right...he said 16.  I figured it was the curved glass ones.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the IM 20.  I have my plan for the stand.  Gonna do an industrial look again.  With metal sewing stand legs and a wood top.  We went to a few thrifts today and I didn't find anything I liked.  I did this style tank stand before and liked it so should work out fine.  It won't have an enclosed stand but the tank will be in a back room so if it's messy looking, it's not a big deal :).  I'll keep it as clean looking as possible.

I wish I knew for sure what IM will do about this.  Since this is the second tank, I'm not sure that it has any sort of warranty.  The first was generous of them to replace since it was a Marine Depot store model, with no receipt, purchased at MACNA.  I could save $50 if I order today from Doctors Foster and Smith.  But I hate to have two tanks headed my way when I only need one.  If they could at least offer me a discount coupon or something, I'd be happy. 

• Like 4
15 hours ago, patback said:

:(  sorry to hear about them at gena.  

Thanks, Pat!  I like to think everything happens for a reason, sometimes it's a blessing in disguise!  While I'm not looking forward to transferring everything....AGAIN :lol:.  I can do anything I put my mind to :D.

So, after more thought.  I THINK I'm leaning toward the IM 25 Lagoon!  Thanks to @ninjamyst for bringing it to my attention.  I really could use a little more space.  It will be a breeze to fit everything in as opposed to going with basically the same dimensions I have now (minus the drop-off).  So yeah, definitely could use bigger! 

Tank is still holding for now fingerscrossed

• Like 9
1 hour ago, gena said:

Thanks, Pat!  I like to think everything happens for a reason, sometimes it's a blessing in disguise!  While I'm not looking forward to transferring everything....AGAIN :lol:.  I can do anything I put my mind to :D.

So, after more thought.  I THINK I'm leaning toward the IM 25 Lagoon!  Thanks to @ninjamyst for bringing it to my attention.  I really could use a little more space.  It will be a breeze to fit everything in as opposed to going with basically the same dimensions I have now (minus the drop-off).  So yeah, definitely could use bigger! 

Tank is still holding for now fingerscrossed

And it will be just-bigger-enough that it should still be easy-peasy for you to maintain and not be overwhelmed! :happy:

• Like 3
1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

I can't wait to see what you do with the IM 25 if you get it.  Your 45 gallon cube is still one of my favorite tanks.

Oh my gosh...I'm pretty excited about this omgomgomg   It does remind me a lot of my 45g cube only smaller.   Smaller but bigger than what I have now,  for my over-grown corals :).  I want to order it today, but I still haven't heard back from IM. 

I'll have to get a new fish or two as well.  To replace the two I lost.  The jumper and the anorexic.

1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

And it will be just-bigger-enough that it should still be easy-peasy for you to maintain and not be overwhelmed! :happy:

Yep :happydance:

• Like 4

I really like the IM25. Same dimensions as my IM40 but shallow, which is nice. And you get a lot more room in the back chambers for stuff,compared to the IM20. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

I really like the IM25. Same dimensions as my IM40 but shallow, which is nice. And you get a lot more room in the back chambers for stuff,compared to the IM20. 

I'll have to take a closer look at your 40.  I was just in that thread earlier today, but didn't realize it's similar dimensions!  I'm looking forward to having more room!

I heard back from Innovative Marine.  Holy wow...what a company.  They said they were sending me out a replacement.  I told her thank you so much, but I actually wasn't going to set another of these up, afraid to do it again.  I told her I was going to buy the IM 25 Lagoon instead, but if they would exchange for that one, that would be fantastic.  Not only are they going to do that, but I also get $100 credit because that's the difference in price from the drop-off omgomgomg.  With my credit, I went with the new fancy ATO container since it will be exposed and not in a stand.  I will have something nice to look at other than my rubbermaid container.  It's something I would NEVER have spent the money on otherwise.  A little splurge LOL.

So that's that!!!!  Hopefully it will be here soon.  I have been watching the salt creep on the seam leak, and it is getting larger.  No gushes yet fingerscrossed .

• Like 11
3 minutes ago, gena said:

I'll have to take a closer look at your 40.  I was just in that thread earlier today, but didn't realize it's similar dimensions!  I'm looking forward to having more room!

I heard back from Innovative Marine.  Holy wow...what a company.  They said they were sending me out a replacement.  I told her thank you so much, but I actually wasn't going to set another of these up, afraid to do it again.  I told her I was going to buy the IM 25 Lagoon instead, but if they would exchange for that one, that would be fantastic.  Not only are they going to do that, but I also get $100 credit because that's the difference in price from the drop-off omgomgomg.  With my credit, I went with the new fancy ATO container since it will be exposed and not in a stand.  I will have something nice to look at other than my rubbermaid container.  It's something I would NEVER have spent the money on otherwise.  A little splurge LOL.

So that's that!!!!  Hopefully it will be here soon.  I have been watching the salt creep on the seam leak, and it is getting larger.  No gushes yet fingerscrossed .

:o Wow that is awesome!!!  And so exciting!  Wowee!  Can't wait to see it...hopefully they get it to you fast lol.

I don't reckon duct tape will hold it all in? :lol:

• Like 1