Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Pastel Garden: Drop-Off

gena

Oh my goodness, I LOVE this tank!!!! 

It's everything I love in a tank, minus some Macroalgae. 

And that wrasse!!!!

Love it, really enjoyed the vid. 

What light do you have over this? 

Looks like LED, but I've had Softies be a little sensitive under LED lighting in the past, that's why I asked. 

• Like 1

Hi gena! I haven't been on the forum in AGES but I thought I would stop by to see what you and ReHype are up to! Your new tank is awesome! I've just started following you on IG. :D

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Astinus said:

Gena, That Drop-Off Tank is Stunning!  Love ur scape and the Reef :)

Thank you very much!!! :)

3 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Oh my goodness, I LOVE this tank!!!! 

It's everything I love in a tank, minus some Macroalgae. 

And that wrasse!!!!

Love it, really enjoyed the vid. 

What light do you have over this? 

Looks like LED, but I've had Softies be a little sensitive under LED lighting in the past, that's why I asked. 

Thank you so much!!!  We have the same taste in tanks...and I agree, the only thing missing is some macroalgae.  If I could squeeze it in, I totally would.  Not sure where I'd do it though.  I thought about the top left corner but I have some ricordeas and zoanthids on the sand back there and they would miss the light.  I'll see if I can figure something out :).  I may just have to live without it in this tank.  I do have some hair algae and bubble algae growing LOL.  But that doesn't count.

This IS LED lighting!  It's the AI Prime HD.  The corals seem to really love it.  I have it set pretty low though.  If I remember right...it's only running at like 45% maximum. 

1 minute ago, Rain24 said:

Hi gena! I haven't been on the forum in AGES but I thought I would stop by to see what you and ReHype are up to! Your new tank is awesome! I've just started following you on IG. :D

HI!  It's been forever!!!!  Thanks for the follow!!!!  Do you have a tank right now?

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, gena said:

HI!  It's been forever!!!!  Thanks for the follow!!!!  Do you have a tank right now?

No - we moved so we haven't set up a tank yet. I suppose I'm in here to get into trouble again at some point. LOL.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Rain24 said:

No - we moved so we haven't set up a tank yet. I suppose I'm in here to get into trouble again at some point. LOL.

Or...Get re-inspired ;)

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Rain24 said:

I think I followed you back on Instagram!  Are you alittlemealittlehue? 

I hope you get into LOTS of trouble ;).

• Like 2
1 minute ago, gena said:

I think I followed you back on Instagram!  Are you alittlemealittlehue? 

I hope you get into LOTS of trouble ;).

Yup! That's me! A very non-reefy IG so far.

LOL - we travel a lot lately so we're trying to decide if we can handle more trouble.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Rain24 said:

Yup! That's me! A very non-reefy IG so far.

LOL - we travel a lot lately so we're trying to decide if we can handle more trouble.

You have a great instagram page!  I glanced quickly but will check it out more thoroughly soon! 

Just set up an easy softy tank.  That will be perfect for accommodating your travels.  All you'd need is an ATO system.  The fish could be self-sustained on the pods in the tank.  That's my plan if I ever get to the point of traveling a lot.  I'd love to have an RV someday and just travel the country.  I sound so old LMAO....eh, who cares.  Sounds fun to me!

Evenutually I'd like to do some international travel.  But I really don't like flying so that makes it low on the travel priority list.

• Like 4

As a former Truck Driver, U folks looking into RVs..seriously consider Diesels....They have Power and U will want that power climbing

hills and Mountains.

Just passing on some food for thought.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gena said:

You have a great instagram page!  I glanced quickly but will check it out more thoroughly soon! 

Just set up an easy softy tank.  That will be perfect for accommodating your travels.  All you'd need is an ATO system.  The fish could be self-sustained on the pods in the tank.  That's my plan if I ever get to the point of traveling a lot.  I'd love to have an RV someday and just travel the country.  I sound so old LMAO....eh, who cares.  Sounds fun to me!

Evenutually I'd like to do some international travel.  But I really don't like flying so that makes it low on the travel priority list.

Danke! I've been doing a lot of the more textile-stitchy hobbies lately.

I saw natalia's reef bowl and I'm wondering if I can swing having one of those! I love acans - that was the one thing I found out when I had my BC14. Hers seem to be doing really well in her bowl. And I like the minimal equipment needed. On the other end of the spectrum, I have been drooling at those dropoff tanks like you and ReHype have!

Haha...you sound like my sis, she wants to have an RV someday too. We do a lot of road trips and just toss the cat in with us.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

My wife tried to drag me to RV show in Chicago this weekend.  We went to one a few years back.  Class A are NICE!  One day we will sell everything and travel in RV.  But that's like 20 years from now...

I don't need anything big and fancy.  But I do want it to be nice.  Maybe one of those airsteams would be pretty sweet!  I could totally do that :)

6 hours ago, Astinus said:

As a former Truck Driver, U folks looking into RVs..seriously consider Diesels....They have Power and U will want that power climbing

hills and Mountains.

Just passing on some food for thought.

If I get an Airstream, we'll just need a heavy duty vehicle to tow it.  I don't want to be like Lucy and Desi in The Long, Long Trailer LOL.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Rain24 said:

Danke! I've been doing a lot of the more textile-stitchy hobbies lately.

I saw natalia's reef bowl and I'm wondering if I can swing having one of those! I love acans - that was the one thing I found out when I had my BC14. Hers seem to be doing really well in her bowl. And I like the minimal equipment needed. On the other end of the spectrum, I have been drooling at those dropoff tanks like you and ReHype have!

Haha...you sound like my sis, she wants to have an RV someday too. We do a lot of road trips and just toss the cat in with us.

I saw all of your work...I LOVE it!!!!  I'm into macrame pretty heavy.  I sold my first item on Etsy today omgomgomg.  A macrame plant hanger.  I'm going to make another tomorrow to replace the one that sold.  Maybe I'll make 2 LOL.

I'll have two cats to toss in with us.  Sounds fun!  Maybe a dog too.  She's 10 though so by the time we actually do this she may no longer be with us.

Oh and natalia's reef bowl is stunning!  You could totally do one of those.  The only issue would be the evaporation on something so small.  You'd have to have a nice ATO setup, I would think.  Of course, I have to recommend the drop-off tank!  It's a great tank and so easy to maintain :).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gena said:

I saw all of your work...I LOVE it!!!!  I'm into macrame pretty heavy.  I sold my first item on Etsy today omgomgomg.  A macrame plant hanger.  I'm going to make another tomorrow to replace the one that sold.  Maybe I'll make 2 LOL.

I'll have two cats to toss in with us.  Sounds fun!  Maybe a dog too.  She's 10 though so by the time we actually do this she may no longer be with us.

Oh and natalia's reef bowl is stunning!  You could totally do one of those.  The only issue would be the evaporation on something so small.  You'd have to have a nice ATO setup, I would think.  Of course, I have to recommend the drop-off tank!  It's a great tank and so easy to maintain :).

Thanks! It's sort of a stitching journal that I'm trying to keep up for the year. Oh, I saw you macrame stuff! Very cool! I had a planter that I took down during a wind storm that had knotted tiered supports and now I can't figure out how to put it back up. LOL. Gratz on your first sale! You definitely should make more.

Aww, you have a senior dog. They are so mellow and nice to have around.

Yeah, I was wondering about evap. Might have to do an ATO like you suggested if I have to be away from my hypothetical tank for a couple of weeks during a road trip. But, I also wanted a much simpler setup this time. We shall see!!! It's been fun poking around the forums again. Seems like there's a lot of new equipment out there.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Rain24 said:

Thanks! It's sort of a stitching journal that I'm trying to keep up for the year. Oh, I saw you macrame stuff! Very cool! I had a planter that I took down during a wind storm that had knotted tiered supports and now I can't figure out how to put it back up. LOL. Gratz on your first sale! You definitely should make more.

Aww, you have a senior dog. They are so mellow and nice to have around.

Yeah, I was wondering about evap. Might have to do an ATO like you suggested if I have to be away from my hypothetical tank for a couple of weeks during a road trip. But, I also wanted a much simpler setup this time. We shall see!!! It's been fun poking around the forums again. Seems like there's a lot of new equipment out there.

Thanks for the congrats!  I was pretty excited.  I have to run out to the post office today to mail off my first SOLD creation.  Yep, evaporation will be even more noticeable and detrimental in a pico/bowl.  It's crazy all the new gadgets that are out even from just a few years ago.  And compared to when I first started out...it's a different reefing world :).  Although what I had available back then would still work today just fine.  Especially for a K.I.S.S. system.

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca
11 hours ago, Rain24 said:

Yeah, I was wondering about evap. Might have to do an ATO like you suggested if I have to be away from my hypothetical tank for a couple of weeks during a road trip. But, I also wanted a much simpler setup this time. We shall see!!!

Evaporation is a big concern in a small pico or vase/bowl reef. I fixed that issue by putting a glass lid on my reefbowl. Gas exchange and flow are provided by an airline. I find that top-off is only needed on the coldest winter days, when the air is really dry.  Only then do I top off, never more than once a week, about 3 days before the weekly water change.  A system like mine could almost certainly go for 2 weeks with minimal attention.  I would just advise having someone check in on it periodically to make sure everything is working and maybe do a topoff if necessary.  I personally would never use an ATO on a system this small.

BTW, congratulations Gena on your first macrame sale  :)

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, natalia_la_loca said:

Evaporation is a big concern in a small pico or vase/bowl reef. I fixed that issue by putting a glass lid on my reefbowl. Gas exchange and flow are provided by an airline. I find that top-off is only needed on the coldest winter days, when the air is really dry.  Only then do I top off, never more than once a week, about 3 days before the weekly water change.  A system like mine could almost certainly go for 2 weeks with minimal attention.  I would just advise having someone check in on it periodically to make sure everything is working and maybe do a topoff if necessary.  I personally would never use an ATO on a system this small.

No wonder your bowl does so well and looks so good!  And, thank you!!!  :)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, markalot said:

So I looked at the bathroom remodel and all I thought of was turning the shower into a giant fish tank. :)  Talk about a dropoff.

Hahaha...I wonder how many gallons that would be :).

1 hour ago, DaveFason said:

Tank is really looking good @gena

I am curious, who sent you the replacement? IM or MD?

Thanks, Dave!  I contacted Innovative Marine and they were super awesome.  I explained that I got the floor model at MACNA and that I didn't even have a receipt and they still let me exchange it.  I just had to send mine back to them...and they paid for the return shipping too.  They know I advertise the tank a lot on Instagram which probably helped LOL.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

Your bowl will be my starting point if I can get the hubby to agree to having a tank again!

• Like 2

Good morning!  Wanted to give an update on the goings on over here.  Friday I went to my LFS and saw the cutest little pygmy angelfish.  It was so tempting!  But then I think of my puffy LPS and I change my mind.  But honestly, I'm still thinking about that fish LOL.

I've been stalking the Live Aquaria site for my helfrichi firefish and yellow clown goby.  They had the firefish in stock, but not the clown goby...or vice versa.  Finally on Saturday morning, both were in stock, so I ordered!  They should be here tomorrow!!!  I hope these guys are as nice as my last two from them, which are eating and doing GREAT.

I've been thinking about ordering more ricordeas.  Still always have my eye out for more blastos.

Remodel should be done this week :).

• Like 9

Can't wait to see your new fishies! Love both of those species, the helfichii in particular.

Oh and of course you should have more rics!!!

I went to my first LFS on Saturday! I'm dying to start a tiny tank now. I wanted a reef bowl/vase/jar, but now I'm being tempted by these Aqua Japan pico tanks that I saw - one was about 3g and the other was a little less than 5g. I'm wondering if the Tuna Blue Par 38 would work for those tanks. AND, the back chambers were pretty narrow that I wouldn't know what pump to stick in there. I was so excited to be in a fish store again and they definitely focus on reefing. The husband was not as impressed. There was algae on some of the frag plugs. LOL.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Rain24 said:

Can't wait to see your new fishies! Love both of those species, the helfichii in particular.

Oh and of course you should have more rics!!!

I went to my first LFS on Saturday! I'm dying to start a tiny tank now. I wanted a reef bowl/vase/jar, but now I'm being tempted by these Aqua Japan pico tanks that I saw - one was about 3g and the other was a little less than 5g. I'm wondering if the Tuna Blue Par 38 would work for those tanks. AND, the back chambers were pretty narrow that I wouldn't know what pump to stick in there. I was so excited to be in a fish store again and they definitely focus on reefing. The husband was not as impressed. There was algae on some of the frag plugs. LOL.

Looks like a cute little tank!  I think it would be perfect for you :).  Those tanks don't come with a pump?  I thought most AIO tanks do.  If not, I'm sure you could research what people use.  Maybe on youtube...you can get some good ideas on there.  The Par 38 should be perfect!  Yay...I'm excited for you!!! I hope you set one up soon!!!