Innovative Marine Aquariums

Rearranging/Adding More Rock, Biofilter

ReefSafeSolutions

ReefSafeSolutions

Hi everyone,

So...my rockscape kinda fell apart amidst my cleaning routine today (mid water change...pretty convenient, actually). Rather than putty everything back together, which I hate doing, I decided to pretty much rescape the right side of my tank. Pics coming a little later!

I removed the shelf I had, and one of the rocks supporting said shelf. Then I pulled a rock from the bucket we have in the garage (water is probably around 60F) and placed it into the tank. Will this screw up my biofilter or will it be OK? My dad had this rock in his old tank for a couple of years so I'm hoping it won't throw off my biofilter. I definitely have more live rock in the tank now, which I am cool with, because I have much more room for a wider variety of corals (the new rock gets closer to the top of the tank).

Anyways, I appreciate any knowledge you all can share with me. I'll post pics when I get some good shots!

Thanks!

I don't know for sure, but if the rock was kept wet, and some 'dirt' got in the water while in the garage, I think the bacteria could still be somewhat active.

It might take a little while to catch-up to what you already have in your tank, but (flips coin-tails) I think it should be OK.

ReefSafeSolutions

I certainly hope so! I stirred up a bunch of gunk (inevitable, it seems) so hopefully that stuff won't crash the tank. I'm not super worried, but I'd hate for that to happen!

I definitely like having that rock on the right side there instead of the platform...much more natural looking and as coral growth begins to cover the rock I think it will have a much nicer look.

Archived