Harry's "Hyper" JBJ RL-45: TAKEN DOWN

HarryPotter

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HarryPotter

^ LPS for sure....

What happened to all the SPS fans?!?!

Haha I love my montipora, but also love the squishy waving goodness of LPS. If I were to go LPS, I would totally get an elegance and a huge gold torch!

righttirefire

I'm missing a frog and Duncan just started acan lords... but Rock flower anemones are beautiful...

HarryPotter

I'm missing a frog and Duncan just started acan lords... but Rock flower anemones are beautiful...

Aww man dude I totally thought you were serious with the anemone :(

Yeah RFAs are awesome

HarryPotter

How bout like 8 RFAs on the right rock, and a elegance coral on the sand?

I need a place to put a gold torch too! Haha

righttirefire

I don't know where I'm going to get rock flowers from. I might need to "mail-order" them. Haven't found locally. But there are a few more shops I can look at

HarryPotter

I don't know where I'm going to get rock flowers from. I might need to "mail-order" them. Haven't found locally. But there are a few more shops I can look at

One of my LFSs is KNOWN for their hundreds of RFAs. Called VIP reef.

If only you were in south Florida. Cough. (Reference to you torturing me with the "free" Anenome)

Cencalfishguy56

RFA's, BTA's, and LPS mostly euphyllia will be my goal with the next tank :D maybe an acro MAYBEEEE haha

One of my LFSs is KNOWN for their hundreds of RFAs. Called VIP reef.

If only you were in south Florida. Cough. (Reference to you torturing me with the "free" Anenome)

HarryPotter

Today's proposed haul:

25x assorted snails

1x cleaner shrimp

10g RO/DI water

Possibly 5 inch Gold Maxima Clam (local, $30)

Possibly RFA (local, depending on price)

HarryPotter

WHOOPS!

So theres this local guy that grows corals and ships them from indonesia.

Saw it on craigslist- $15 for a gold maxima clam?!?!?!

Too good to be true? Nope. 4" Maxima Clam acclimating as we speak.

A bit of hair algae on the shell- any advice?

WHOOPS!

So theres this local guy that grows corals and ships them from indonesia.

Saw it on craigslist- $15 for a gold maxima clam?!?!?!

Too good to be true? Nope. 4" Maxima Clam acclimating as we speak.

A bit of hair algae on the shell- any advice?

solid deal, if its just gha keep your params good and your cuc should handle it.

HarryPotter

solid deal, if its just gha keep your params good and your cuc should handle it.

Parameters STINK right now I think! Im going through Diatoms due to the 20lbs new sand. REALLY need to order from reef cleaners, but I keep on getting distracted by other corals!

New clam! (Closed up, just finished 1 hour acclimation AND tooth-brushing)

3E2ED451-BABB-469D-86AA-65C9F9CA50BA_zps

HarryPotter

Check out (one of) the dudes grow out/for sale tank! Probably has dozens of clams, hundreds of $4.99 SPS frags. He has a $4000 order from indonesia coming in next month...

IMG_0641_zpsiqyyvn84.jpg

HarryPotter

From the side Lucinda looks blue and black, but from above its a whole different story!

What should I name the new, larger gold clam? LucindO?

470BB260-612C-4874-9662-6FE4E662E39D_zps

Still struggling with Diatom algae. Unbelievably annoying! Sand gets bubbles under it, and has brown diatoms on top. URGHHH!!!!

PITA!

Any advice? I guess with the 20lbs new sand I am going through a period of HIGH NUTRIENTS! (Curses)

Besides vacuuming the sand bed, cleaning media frequently, and 5g water changes weekly (12%), is there anything else to do?

HarryPotter

I don't want to assign gender rolls based on appearance, what do you think the new gold clam is?

Possible names?

IMG_0652_zpsih9effkv.jpg

Cencalfishguy56

I don't want to assign gender rolls based on appearance, what do you think the new gold clam is?

Possible names?

IMG_0652_zpsih9effkv.jpg

Did you use live sand or dry?

HarryPotter

Did you use live sand or dry?

Live sand! (Yuck!)

Bummer. SO MUCH NUTRIENTS! Any advice? I might need to just save up and order from ReefCleaners!

Cencalfishguy56

Live sand! (Yuck!)

Bummer. SO MUCH NUTRIENTS! Any advice? I might need to just save up and order from ReefCleaners!

Yea I'm thinking about going dry this time around haha I'll be patient instead of all the headaches

It's like $20 bucks! ;)

HarryPotter

Yea I'm thinking about going dry this time around haha I'll be patient instead of all the headaches

It's like $20 bucks! ;)

Yeah I know.... Honestly I'm worried about the Dwarf Ceriths. I have a rimless tank, and am concerned with jailbreaks and just how 50+ of them will look in my 45 gallon tank.

I could always just get a smaller package, but I want the others!

I might just get a bunch of snails from the LFS, like 15 Ceriths, a handful of Nerites, some Trochus, and a cool brittle star. Probably will end up similar price wise because no shipping

Cencalfishguy56

Yeah I know.... Honestly I'm worried about the Dwarf Ceriths. I have a rimless tank, and am concerned with jailbreaks and just how 50+ of them will look in my 45 gallon tank.

I could always just get a smaller package, but I want the others!

I might just get a bunch of snails from the LFS, like 15 Ceriths, a handful of Nerites, some Trochus, and a cool brittle star. Probably will end up similar price wise because no shipping

Yea it's about the same for me but my LFS stock varies but this time I'm going reef cleaners!

lilmatty5dimes

wow great tank everything is looking good. love that gold clam. that was a steal for it. i could almost drive the 3 hours down there for that.lol well, not how gas is and the suv. lol if you can keep up with a 4-5g water change a week and test for alk and ca go for the sps dom tank. i got lazy for 2 weeks and by the third it was to late to save any of my sps. all rtn. sucks but it part of the hobby. now where's your photo bomb?

HarryPotter

wow great tank everything is looking good. love that gold clam. that was a steal for it. i could almost drive the 3 hours down there for that.lol well, not how gas is and the suv. lol if you can keep up with a 4-5g water change a week and test for alk and ca go for the sps dom tank. i got lazy for 2 weeks and by the third it was to late to save any of my sps. all rtn. sucks but it part of the hobby. now where's your photo bomb?

Thanks! Yeah the dude is amazing- he has SO MANY CLAMS! I am thinking about getting some of the $10 purple Troceas.

I hopefully can keep up w. the water change, and am planning on adding a Marine Magic or Jebao doser eventually.

Photo bomb was on page 7! I just took a few dozen HD photos though to record polyp extension and color development... interested? Of course!

View from above:

IMG_0654_zpsspoaqtog.jpg

Tank frontal:

IMG_0657_zpsiqfolyab.jpg

Lucinda from above:

IMG_0655_zps52pmml1r.jpg

New Gold Clam:

IMG_0658_zpswjrjjmgd.jpg

Great growth on Neon Cap:

IMG_0659_zpslueicn1r.jpg

Single head of frogspawn:

IMG_0660_zpstzwpcgwx.jpg