HarryPotter

Harry's "Hyper" JBJ RL-45: TAKEN DOWN

reefernanoman

Aquascaping truly is a science here on NR! I'm selfish and just do my own thing without asking anyone what they think, but I really like your approach too! V5 looks very nice BTW. And I wasn't really crazy about the tonga branch.

• Like 1

HarryPotter

Aquascaping truly is a science here on NR! I'm selfish and just do my own thing without asking anyone what they think, but I really like your approach too! V5 looks very nice BTW. And I wasn't really crazy about the tonga branch.

Lol I have to ask people or it would turn out like a turd! I have zero style- my sisters still buy me cloths! omgomgomg

Ill do iPhone pictures when I get home, it looks pretty good. SO SMALL THOUGH! I NEED MORE ROOM FOR CORALS!

Ahhhh always need an upgrade. The Red Sea reefer 650 w. 5 Radions sounds fun! :lol:

• Like 1

HarryPotter

PICTURE DUMP!

IMG_0579_zpsmivvyini.jpgIMG_0583_zps9lavhitb.jpgIMG_0586_zpsi5njaeoa.jpg

• Like 2

thecoralbeauty

WOOHOOO!!! Love it!!! Now, we just sit and wait for them to grow!

and yea. so glad you removed the penis rock.

Addinali

Sexy!

braaap

Holy disco batman. Hopefully that isn't the case with my radion.

HarryPotter

Thanks! Any recommendations for coral placement? MsWhiteLock, you're the Montipora expert!

You'll notice that there is a small pile of corals on the front left. Its Neon Leathers, assorted softie frags, and zoa frags. I don't want to trash them, but don't know what do do with them. :(

Im hoping on loading up with SPS sticks on the right piece of rock, that'll look cool- no?

The Pipe Organ colony will be sold after I take a frag or two. (In back)

WOOHOOO!!! Love it!!! Now, we just sit and wait for them to grow!

and yea. so glad you removed the penis rock.

Sexy!

Haha that will be 100% solved with the wide angle lenses I ordered :)

thecoralbeauty

mine looks super disco in photos but i don't notice it in person.

Haha that will be 100% solved with the wide angle lenses I ordered :)

let me know how you like them.

• Like 1

braaap

Hopefully. I just got my wide lenses today but I'm not gonna install them until later. Scored a RMS mount brand new for $60. :)

• Like 2

HarryPotter

mine looks super disco in photos but i don't notice it in person.

let me know how you like them.

Thanks! Any recommendations for coral placement? MsWhiteLock, you're the Montipora expert!

​I have the neon green plating, red plating, purple plating, and a encrusting mystery piece that i got glue on today :(

thecoralbeauty

​I have the neon green plating, red plating, purple plating, and a encrusting mystery piece that i got glue on today :(

hahah call me morgan, please! ms. whitelock is what my students call me (when they don't accidentally call me mom). and it makes me feel old, even though I'm definitely not haha.

ummm well, mine like high light as you can see how i've crammed them all in the middle of the tank. full polyp extension. hard to see yet if there's growth- only been less than a month, for them. I have the encrusting kind- though i can't tell if the LA Lakers piece I have is encrusting or tabling, i was told it was tabling, but we shall see. I like where you have the red one right now, it would be cool to sort of make steps out of them like that haha

Gena's is the first cap i've gotten so I'm still learning too.

HarryPotter

hahah call me morgan, please! ms. whitelock is what my students call me (when they don't accidentally call me mom). and it makes me feel old, even though I'm definitely not haha.

ummm well, mine like high light as you can see how i've crammed them all in the middle of the tank. full polyp extension. hard to see yet if there's growth- only been less than a month, for them. I have the encrusting kind- though i can't tell if the LA Lakers piece I have is encrusting or tabling, i was told it was tabling, but we shall see. I like where you have the red one right now, it would be cool to sort of make steps out of them like that haha

Gena's is the first cap i've gotten so I'm still learning too.

Fine- "Morgan"! I am 17 after all, and in 11th grade. Practically your student LOL

Im trying to keep them high, and am feeding two caps of Marine snow a day. I get nice PE

thecoralbeauty

i have never used or tried or heard of marine snow. off to the google....

I use Red Sea's reef energy A and B. i get good PE too. so long as they seem happy, i figure you're doing something right, right??

and haha! you could be. my 8th graders are 13-15. I'm 23.

HarryPotter

i have never used or tried or heard of marine snow. off to the google....

I use Red Sea's reef energy A and B. i get good PE too. so long as they seem happy, i figure you're doing something right, right??

and haha! you could be. my 8th graders are 13-15. I'm 23.

Never heard of that "Reef Energy A & B". I use Kent A & B for supplementing Ca and Mg, but would be willing to switch if that one is more reputable.

Marine Snow is my SPS/LPS food- a green liquid that makes the polyps go crazy and chalice stingers come out.

MarineSnow from Two Little Fishies is the first of its kind: a natural planktonic solution for filter-feeding marine invertebrates. This invertebrate food replicates the special biogenic suspended matter "marine snow" found in natural seawater. Marine snow is an important part of the food chain in marine ecosystems. Now it can be a part of home reef aquariums too! Contains natural components of marine snow, including zooplankton, phytoplankton, and particulate and dissolved organic material, and more to provide superb nutrition for filter-feeding marine invertebrates. 16 oz.

• Like 1

thecoralbeauty

huh. i'll check it out!

it's essentially red sea's carbs and amino acids, not necessarily "food"- but everything is happy with it, and i'm hoping it will encourage growth.

HarryPotter

huh. i'll check it out!

it's essentially red sea's carbs and amino acids, not necessarily "food"- but everything is happy with it, and i'm hoping it will encourage growth.

Amino acids? I know about them from IB Bio but not as they apply to corals. Ill look into it!

Question: Can you test for them? Because a very wise man told me to never dose something you can't test for!

thecoralbeauty

amino acids are essentially the building block molecules in more complex proteins. no, i don't test for them, but if i was overdosing, i'd end up with an abundance of gunk on my rocks and such.

HarryPotter

amino acids are essentially the building block molecules in more complex proteins. no, i don't test for them, but if i was overdosing, i'd end up with an abundance of gunk on my rocks and such.

So you follow the included instructions?

I am looking to get some more PE from the caps, so may try it. The best PE I've gotten was after squirting the mysis goo (opaque water) on them with the pumps off

braaap

Amino Acids really make stuff pop. I dose BrightWell CoralAmino. Good stuff. Follow directions and all is well.

thecoralbeauty

So you follow the included instructions?

I am looking to get some more PE from the caps, so may try it. The best PE I've gotten was after squirting the mysis goo (opaque water) on them with the pumps off

yep, i dose 4ml each since i have 20 gals and SPS.

i get good PE from the encrusting ones I have. Gena's is the first cap I've ever had- i'll let you know how it reacts. like i said, it's not like i have a baseline to compare to.

i also dose essential elements once in a while since i tend to go so long between needing a water change for nitrate removal purposes.

HarryPotter

Thanks everyone! I will look into it tomorrow at the Semi-LFS. I may also accidentally get a SPS stick! omgomgomg

Bedtime for me- I have to wake up at 5:45 for school :( (Morgan knows the struggle :lol: )

yep, i dose 4ml each since i have 20 gals and SPS.

i get good PE from the encrusting ones I have. Gena's is the first cap I've ever had- i'll let you know how it reacts. like i said, it's not like i have a baseline to compare to.

i also dose essential elements once in a while since i tend to go so long between needing a water change for nitrate removal purposes.

Amino Acids really make stuff pop. I dose BrightWell CoralAmino. Good stuff. Follow directions and all is well.

kidnatural

Yeah but price wise the DJ power bar is like $30 and easier to use for a lot of thing as

For maintenance or for unusual stuff, I prefer the power bar (individual switches) to shut on/off equipment WITHOUT getting my phone (which probably has a dead battery) to do it :P

I too have the power bar/dj switch it don't get more convenient than that does it ?

HarryPotter

I too have the power bar/dj switch it don't get more convenient than that does it

Sweet!

How did you mount it? I am probably going to drill into its side and screw it into the stand. The stock DJ mount doesn't sit well at any place in my stand

kidnatural

Fortunate for me I was able to just place it on the top shelf in my stand, however you could always make some L brackets off the top of your stand and screw it to those brackets, was my original idea but got lazy and just placed it on the shelf haha

reefernanoman

"penis rock" OMFG, one of the funniest things that I have ever read here on NR!