Pod Your Reef

Harry's "Hyper" JBJ RL-45: TAKEN DOWN

HarryPotter

Big boy tanks are not cheap. Eventually you want all the equipment you can get to make things easier. I would do an 8x54 Sunpower on that tank for the best bulb combo.

Once you get a ton of SPS you will be using up so much 2-part you will be looking into a CA reactor.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big boy tanks are not cheap. Eventually you want all the equipment you can get to make things easier. I would do an 8x54 Sunpower on that tank for the best bulb combo.

54??? why 54. That's 7 inches wider than the tank. No need for that. I think 36" is fine.

54??? why 54. That's 7 inches wider than the tank. No need for that. I think 36" is fine.

A reefer 350 is 47" long. A 54W sunpower is 46" long. He can go whichever but the 54W covers the whole tank.

A reefer 350 is 47" long. A 54W sunpower is 46" long. He can go whichever but the 54W covers the whole tank.

OH!!!! I thought you meant a 54" light.

WOAH. DIDN'T KNOW THAT. THANKS.

Apex haters in here?!? I honestly think that's my favorite piece of equipment.

No they seem cool but this is overkill. Too many modules and double modules and shit

Once you get a ton of SPS you will be using up so much 2-part you will be looking into a CA reactor.

8x54w seems to be 47" x 17.5" x 2.1". Might be too much light bleed

Also 8 bulb units are 17" wide. So if you are doing lower light stuff along with SPS you can do 8x39 and then put the low light stuff on the ends. The key is buying right the first time. Buy once should be the philosophy with big tanks or your wallet will pay dearly later on.

What's it all come with??? I think you should keep the base stuff. Checking in on your tank when your at school via fusion would be legit

What's it all come with??? I think you should keep the base stuff. Checking in on your tank when your at school via fusion would be legit

Um... Apex gold and then an additional EB8, PM1, 3x PM2, 3x I/O box, AWM, ALD, WXM, etc.

WOAH. DIDN'T KNOW THAT. THANKS.

No they seem cool but this is overkill. Too many modules and double modules and shit

8x54w seems to be 47" x 17.5" x 2.1". Might be too much light bleed

Won't be too much light bleed.

As for the Apex you should keep the base unit and sell the extra modules. This is what I would keep.

Base unit

Display

EB8 or two

pH probe

temp probe

Sell the rest. And no the Apex Jr is not the same as the regular.

Won't be too much light bleed.

As for the Apex you should keep the base unit and sell the extra modules. This is what I would keep.

Base unit

Display

EB8 or two

pH probe

temp probe

Sell the rest. And no the Apex Jr is not the same as the regular.

Agreed. Maybe the ALD if it comes with sensors too. I like that one

Yea but can you program those alarms to turn off either return pump or skimmer or ato etc and have that bitch text you when it happens.

Why? My LFS is taking them at what they buy them from AI for; so with all of them I have close to an ATI already :)

Because t5s are a down grade. If anything light that bitch with the hydras and how ever many primes you want to fill in any shadows lol I've never been a big fan of the ATI fixtures, we always had issues and then your always replacing bulbs. The splash shields where a PITA to get off, ends, fans and ballasts seemed to go regularly.... we ran like 9 fixtures and they all had shit going wrong within a yr, and more shit within 2 yrs.

Um... Apex gold and then an additional EB8, PM1, 3x PM2, 3x I/O box, AWM, ALD, WXM, etc.

Nice your good to go. start programing that thing and put that stuff to use. :)

Because t5s are a down grade. If anything light that bitch with the hydras and how ever many primes you want to fill in any shadows lol I've never been a big fan of the ATI fixtures, we always had issues and then your always replacing bulbs. The splash shields where a PITA to get off, ends, fans and ballasts seemed to go regularly.... we ran like 9 fixtures and they all had shit going wrong within a yr, and more shit within 2 yrs.

Thats the first time I've heard that, usually people sing of their quality

Thats the first time I've heard that, usually people sing of their quality

I've heard about the fans especially multiple times. Its been like 5+ yrs since I've ####ed with t5s tho so maybe they have changed and finally gotten it right but I'd still rather rock LEDs anyways.

My point is all the lights you have will work great on that tank and you will be able to grow corals no problem with LED on that tank as you have been doing with the current tank, so why trade stuff for less then its really worth for something likely at full retail to get the same result. ;) Use what you have and sell what you actually don't need. Keep all the apex stuff, but sell the duplicates (except the outlets I'd keep an extra set of those on hand personally, never know when you will want to add something or the board goes out or you spill something on it etc.)

• 1 month later...
HarryPotter

And the end of a wonderful era of AIO, here is how 'she lies.

Light is sold so will be draining 100% this week. Need to sell the tank/stand/InTank Media Baskets/PLS-50 elite/Refugium light locally.

This is a great tank, highly reccomend it for the beginner and advanced alike.

Peace out JBJ, I've gone to the sumped side.

CF86823C-A6F0-477B-A069-7153190CFC23_zps

HarryPotter

price on the baskets?

Since I do not have the original baskets I hope to sell it as a package. Hard to sell a tank without media baskets I bet. But if for whatever reason that does NOT work out (ex the tank exploded when I drain it) then I will sell those separately.

That was a quick era. :D Although what you did in 10 months or so was fun to follow. Good luck on your big boy tank.

HarryPotter

That was a quick era. :D Although what you did in 10 months or so was fun to follow. Good luck on your big boy tank.

Yeah... 1 year NanoCube, 10 months 45, now on to the 72.

Can't say "no" to a free upgrade though.

I feel like I should be pretty stable already given the LR and such, I'll see.

Since I do not have the original baskets I hope to sell it as a package. Hard to sell a tank without media baskets I bet. But if for whatever reason that does NOT work out (ex the tank exploded when I drain it) then I will sell those separately.

i hear ya, id be willing to give you my media baskets for free and buy your baskets so your not out baskets...

• 1 month later...
RaquelAceraa

THIS TANK HAS BEEN TAKEN DOWN AND UPGRADED TO A RED SEA REEFER 350, LINK BELOW

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/370238-harrys-riddikulus-reefer-new-hd-video/

Current state:

791D7776-D6C0-4251-81C4-4B32F5D52238_zps

Click here for my Radion Schedule (1/31/16)

Updated Equipment:

• JBJ RL-45 w. stand
  • Radion XR30w gen 2
  • Radion RMS mount
  • Vortech MP40w QuietDrive
  • 2x Intank Media Baskets *Love it*
  • Cad-Lights PLS-50 Elite Skimmer
  • Tunze Osmulator Auto-Top-Off *Love it*
  • Jebao DP4 Doser *Love it*
  • Live-Aragonite Sand
  • ReefCleaners Rock *Love it*

Updated Livestock:

• 2 True Percula Clownfish
  • 2 Cardinalfish One died quickly after being added
  • 1 Yellow Coris Wrasse
  • 1 Goby
  • 1 Mandarin Dragonette Jumped and died up on floss :(
  • 1 Mandarin Dragonette
  • 1 Midas Blenny
  • 2 3 Maxima Clam Two died after using carbon dust
  • 1 Crocea Clam
  • 1 Cleaner Shrimp
  • 14 Rock Flower Anemones
  • 1 Bubble Tip Anemones (Rainbow & Green)

Some of the (Many) Corals:

• SPS

• Katropora
  • Red Montipora Capraconis
  • Purple Montipora Capraconis
  • Green Montipora Capraconis
  • WWC Grafted Montipora Capriconis
  • Starburst Montipora Capriconis
  • Tyree Undata Montipora
  • Sunset Montipora
  • Rainbow Montipora
  • Red Planet
  • Green Slimer
  • Steve Elias Teal Stag
  • Battle Corals Rainbow in Spain
  • Assorted other acropora
  • LPS

• Frogspawn
    • Green Hammer
    • Purple Hammer
    • Teal Candy Cane
    • Neon Green Candy Cane
    • Duncan (appx. 8 head)
    • Chalice
  • Softies:

• Assorted Zoanthids
    • Yumas
    • Florida Ricordias
    • Mushrooms?

I hope mine will look like that someday.

Very Nice Tank!

Archived