Pod Your Reef

Harry's "Hyper" JBJ RL-45: TAKEN DOWN

HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Please help me out here.

So I tested my tank today using both API and Red Sea, and Ca is at 350 and KH just over 5. Terrible, I know!

I am trying to raise it using Kent A & B, but no matter what it will not go up! Is this because it is made for nano tanks and mine is a 45? Help!

My green slimer's polyps are receded, and the other SPS doesn't look great either. I know I should have been testing frequently, and will test daily in the future.

Why can't I raise my stupid Ca or KH level?!?!?!

Crap. Apparently I would need over an entire bottle of Kent A to raise my Ca from 350 to 440. I need to get a new two-part- any recommendations?

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please help me out here.

So I tested my tank today using both API and Red Sea, and Ca is at 350 and KH just over 5. Terrible, I know!

I am trying to raise it using Kent A & B, but no matter what it will not go up! Is this because it is made for nano tanks and mine is a 45? Help!

My green slimer's polyps are receded, and the other SPS doesn't look great either. I know I should have been testing frequently, and will test daily in the future.

Why can't I raise my stupid Ca or KH level?!?!?!

Crap. Apparently I would need over an entire bottle of Kent A to raise my Ca from 350 to 440. I need to get a new two-part- any recommendations?

What is your magnesium level at. If it is not stable you will never get your calcium and alkalinity stable.

because unless the right of mag is in the tank the addition of calcium and alk will just turn into precipitation of calcium carbonate and your levels will never rise.

I'm thinking a red trumpet tube worm. Not a pest- pretty cool looking :)

Speaking of dogs- mines TERRIBLE! Always plays in purple flowers and needs to be brushed! <3

3E4DDA32-6DE2-4C0B-A561-1D9EE027FEE9_zps

Those purple flowers are sticky too. We have those. I forget the name of the bush.

So, hope you figure out how to raise your levels. I really liked the bulk BRS additives for my tank. You mix them yourself. Super easy and last a long time.

HarryPotter

Good news! I used the online calculator and used 3/4 cup Kent A and 1/3 cup Kent B

Now (Tested Red Sea & API)

Ca: 440

KH: 9.1

Mg: ?

^I don't know how to do the Mg titration. Really complicated and turning all the wrong colors!

What is your magnesium level at. If it is not stable you will never get your calcium and alkalinity stable.

because unless the right of mag is in the tank the addition of calcium and all will just turn into precipitation of calcium carbonate and your levels will never rise.

Mystery, ill try to figure it out when I get my Salifert tests. I don't understand the Red Sea Mg Titration- googling it now :)

Those purple flowers are sticky too. We have those. I forget the name of the bush.

So, hope you figure out how to raise your levels. I really liked the bulk BRS additives for my tank. You mix them yourself. Super easy and last a long time.

Haha its called Plumbago. I raised (not "rose", right) them to Ca 440 and Kh 9.1

HarryPotter

Can someone help me out with my next project? I want to make a screen cover for the tank, but its a bowfront.

Any advice? The tank came with the stock 2 piece glass cover, but I don't like it (Reflects the lights and looks dirty from salt creep)

Hmm the only one for a rimless bowfront can be seen here:

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/light-friendly-clear-mesh-screen-cover-for-open-top-tanks-standard-rimless-w-pictures.29897/page-3

Still not great, any other solutions?

thecoralbeauty

Good news! I used the online calculator and used 3/4 cup Kent A and 1/3 cup Kent B

Now (Tested Red Sea & API)

Ca: 440

KH: 9.1

Mg: ?

^I don't know how to do the Mg titration. Really complicated and turning all the wrong colors!

Mystery, ill try to figure it out when I get my Salifert tests. I don't understand the Red Sea Mg Titration- googling it now :)

Haha its called Plumbago. I raised (not "rose", right) them to Ca 440 and Kh 9.1

yes, raised. and titrations are things you should be telling your science teachers to teach you instead of watching harry potter!!

Cencalfishguy56

yes, raised. and titrations are things you should be telling your science teachers to teach you instead of watching harry potter!!

Chem = tritrations all day! Haha

HarryPotter

Haha I know my titrations! It's just for the Mg one it doesn't follow the colors of the card!

MWhiteLock, I am really disappointed in you. You just lost an opportunity for a great Harry Potter reference :(:P

Cencalfishguy56

Haha I know my titrations! It's just for the Mg one it doesn't follow the colors of the card!

MWhiteLock, I am really disappointed in you. You just lost an opportunity for a great Harry Potter reference :(:P

Harry... Harry potter :lol:

HarryPotter

Harry... Harry potter :lol:

Um... A bit beyond that! A half/blood prince reference perhaps, or even "Snape would sneer at you!"

Cencalfishguy56

Um... A bit beyond that! A half/blood prince reference perhaps, or even "Snape would sneer at you!"

Lol I fell asleep during happy potter at the theater I think the last one made ;)

HarryPotter

Lol I fell asleep during happy potter at the theater I think the last one made ;)

Expensive nap :P:)

My tank looks really good dude. I'm looking at pictures of the same corals over the last month, or even week, and they look that much better. I'm not sure why, but SPS is taking off (apparent in the absurd dosing required) and the softies are being fragged weekly!

Cencalfishguy56

Expensive nap :P:)

My tank looks really good dude. I'm looking at pictures of the same corals over the last month, or even week, and they look that much better. I'm not sure why, but SPS is taking off (apparent in the absurd dosing required) and the softies are being fragged weekly!

My sister paid :lol: haha pics or it didn't happen bro!

HarryPotter

My sister paid :lol: haha pics or it didn't happen bro!

Ahhh im on my phone. I'll try to get a sort of timeline thing going tomorrow, and get the same angle photo

MetroKat thinks that raising my Alk that fast might have been detrimental to the tank. Any thoughts on this? What could happen, and is there any way to flatten out the effect?

Cencalfishguy56

Ahhh im on my phone. I'll try to get a sort of timeline thing going tomorrow, and get the same angle photo

MetroKat thinks that raising my Alk that fast might have been detrimental to the tank. Any thoughts on this? What could happen, and is there any way to flatten out the effect?

Don't raise it too fast man I did that on salt mixes and wiped out my lps in a couple days I imagine sps would be overnight

Try changing water to dilute it but idk so man swings too soon

HarryPotter

Don't raise it too fast man I did that on salt mixes and wiped out my lps in a couple days I imagine sps would be overnight

Try changing water to dilute it but idk so man swings too soon

Oh man well I raised Ca by 90ppm and KH by 4 dkh. Nothing looks bad but I guess I'll see tomorrow afternoon

Yuck. Ugh. Nervous and pissed at my impulsivity. Pic update tomorrow around 3:15, so I guess we'll see the consequences

Cencalfishguy56

Oh man well I raised Ca by 90ppm and KH by 4 dkh. Nothing looks bad but I guess I'll see tomorrow afternoon

Yuck. Ugh. Nervous and pissed at my impulsivity. Pic update tomorrow around 3:15, so I guess we'll see the consequences

It may not be too bad since you have been pretty stable

HarryPotter

It may not be too bad since you have been pretty stable

Yeah I hope! Looked fine this morning, but I found a dead snail. Coincidence?

HarryPotter

It's today! Delivery day... come on ups

Yes!!!! Two media baskets, the refugium basket, AND chemo pure blue!

Question:

Should I do my (extended) review/comparison here, or on the equipment forum?

I'm planning on gojng picture crazy, comparing the flow with the stock vs InTank, discussed the shipping, quality, etc.

lilmatty5dimes

tank is still looking good. Slow down nothing comes fast in this hobby. sit back and let the tank take its course.

HarryPotter

tank is still looking good. Slow down nothing comes fast in this hobby. sit back and let the tank take its course.

Yessir! Tank is not an "new" as it might seem. It's the entire contents of a 2 year old super stable reef tank, just with some extra sand and water. I am just getting the dosing right, but am working on it :)

Hopefully I will be getting my first two fish into quarentine soon, and I am regularly feeding he tank to keep up the bioload!

HarryPotter

What kind of dog is that little monster ?

Australian Shepard- my favorite. Amazing with kids, very protective, friendly, athletic, loves to swim, and cute :)

Archived