Pod Your Reef

Harry's "Hyper" JBJ RL-45: TAKEN DOWN

HarryPotter

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thecoralbeauty

That's awesome! Unfortunately her major is waaaay more interesting than mine! Ahah I'm just gonna be a registered dietician but that's still cool that you work with speech pathologists sounds like you have a rewarding job! I'm luke btw!

Nice to meet you.

It can be rewarding, and it can also be really exhausting and frustrating. I love teaching reading and writing- reading because there's so many classics I help them pick through (and a ton of leveled non-fiction on reefs! haha!) writing i just enjoy seeing what they come up with. I've collected some pretty awesome stories along the way. Plus, I either co-teach with a general education teacher or teach a small group pull-out for more intensive remediation. I guess the only irritation is all the legal paperwork, but ironically, I got the hang of that first.

My 8th graders graduate tomorrow, and I'm probably gonna cry. I enjoy the work, and there's never a dull moment. Sometimes I miss doing research, though. We'll see where I end up in another few years.

Speaking of- how did y'all get into reefing? Harry, you too?

Cencalfishguy56

It's really interesting actually but my sister likes to jump me for my slang or sometime sentence structure lol

Nice to meet you.

It can be rewarding, and it can also be really exhausting and frustrating. I love teaching reading and writing- reading because there's so many classics I help them pick through (and a ton of leveled non-fiction on reefs! haha!) writing i just enjoy seeing what they come up with. I've collected some pretty awesome stories along the way. Plus, I either co-teach with a general education teacher or teach a small group pull-out for more intensive remediation. I guess the only irritation is all the legal paperwork, but ironically, I got the hang of that first.

My 8th graders graduate tomorrow, and I'm probably gonna cry. I enjoy the work, and there's never a dull moment. Sometimes I miss doing research, though. We'll see where I end up in another few years.

Wow that's awesome! Hats off to you and congrats to your class! Reefing is a great hobby and involves so many skills that can really do good for kids or anyone in general! But I've always had freshwater tanks such as cichlid tanks, aggressive tanks, community tanks, and predator tanks, I've had a 20G, 10G, 3G, and 55G, I also used to breed electric blue crayfish till a little over a year ago I finally told myself I'm ready to start my dream of reefing so I began talking to my LFS guy and reading a ton and started with a softie 10G that was my trial and error tank now I'm working on a 20L sumped tank in the next week or so! And you?

I also always wanted to be a marine biologist just didn't pursue it!

24+ hours since cleaning. Not bad at all! Pardon the bad lighting- this was just as it was ramping up and pretty unbalanced

IMG_0657_zpsiqfolyab.jpg

looking good Harry. Also do you know if that guy is willing to ship his clams? The one you got looks awesome.

HarryPotter

Nice to meet you.

Hmmm I don't know really. I have a 75g freshwater, and after researching for a week I just bought my nanocube. It was on craigslist for $50, new but without a pump.

I bought it, filled it w. sand and water that day, bought a "nemo" the next, etc. A few days later I bought an anenome, etc. it actually went perfectly with zero water changes and tap water top offs. Some softies too!

Then it crashed after the anenome got into the power head... Quit for a few days and then decided to do it the right way. Then my NanoCube V2! That was it until a few days ago lol

Cencalfishguy56

Hmmm I don't know really. I have a 75g freshwater, and after researching for a week I just bought my nanocube. It was on craigslist for $50, new but without a pump.

I bought it, filled it w. sand and water that day, bought a "nemo" the next, etc. A few days later I bought an anenome, etc. it actually went perfectly with zero water changes and tap water top offs. Some softies too!

Then it crashed after the anenome got into the power head... Quit for a few days and then decided to do it the right way. Then my NanoCube V2! That was it until a few days ago lol

That's awesome bro! Haha best way to learn is experiencing things

thecoralbeauty

Had tanks my whole life. Actually, it started with tadpoles in a bucket- I would go catch them with my dad in the creek. They turned into frogs and when my parents re-lanscaped the backyard when I was 4, they dug a koi pond. We have bull frogs in that pond still that are decedents of the original frogs that were hopping out of my fish tank!

I eventually got interested in salt water in college when my friend (astrophysics major) started up his biocube.... that turned into a 20L. He helped me get the 10gal up and running and I had that for a few years. gave it to my friend, she had it a year (upgraded it to the 20L it is now)- she gave it back to me a few months ago!

Harry- did you not cycle it!?? (trying to find excuses not to have to cycle my fluval edge for a long time...)

HarryPotter

looking good Harry. Also do you know if that guy is willing to ship his clams? The one you got looks awesome.

Thanks! Yes, he ships all around the U.S. I'll see what he charges :)

It's so crazy! He has a few 1000g tanks. He's twenty something! Has a $4000 order coming from Indonesia Ina week or so!

Cencalfishguy56

Had tanks my whole life. Actually, it started with tadpoles in a bucket- I would go catch them with my dad in the creek. They turned into frogs and when my parents re-lanscaped the backyard when I was 4, they dug a koi pond. We have bull frogs in that pond still that are decedents of the original frogs that were hopping out of my fish tank!

I eventually got interested in salt water in college when my friend (astrophysics major) started up his biocube.... that turned into a 20L. He helped me get the 10gal up and running and I had that for a few years. gave it to my friend, she had it a year (upgraded it to the 20L it is now)- she gave it back to me a few months ago!

Harry- did you not cycle it!?? (trying to find excuses not to have to cycle my fluval edge for a long time...)

HarryPotter

ZERO cycle. LR though- it's easy. Live rock+ live sand= instant cycle.

Cencalfishguy56

I did the tadpole thing also and kept them in a gallon milk jug haha and I wish I had people around me friend wise interested in reefing im the only one! But I was wondering the samething about cycling Harry!

HarryPotter

That's awesome bro! Haha best way to learn is experiencing things

Yep! Crazy progress too :) (not to toot my own horn).

I'm now looking @ anemones, acro, etc.

Cencalfishguy56

Yep! Crazy progress too :) (not to toot my own horn).

I'm now looking @ anemones, acro, etc.

After seeing all the RFA threads I now want a tank full of them! Haha :bowdown:

HarryPotter

So about cycling.

I say I do it, I don't. It's bullshit. (Don't shoot me!)

Think about this: live rock. Live sand. What other bacteria could you possibly need?!?!

My tank upgrade was the same thing. A LITTLE bit of LR, 40lbs live sand, and corals were in within a few days

After seeing all the RFA threads I now want a tank full of them! Haha :bowdown:

Ditto! A fish store near me has over 100 assorted RFAs for $29.99 each. Crazy colors and all sizes! I love Miami!

thecoralbeauty

I was recently dating a guy who i met at a LFS. sad it didn't work out, it was actually really awesome. I don't have many other friends at all with tanks, haha. they would really come in handy!

Before that I forced my husband to kill my aptasia for me. He actually really enjoyed it and sometimes got a bit carried away. lol those were the days.

Harry,

I used live sand and live rock in my fluval edge. I also seeded it with live copepods and phyto (to feed said copepods) today.

Does that count?

Would i be nuts if i started stocking this weekend???

(Also, would I be wasting my time if I was looking for the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate spikes?)

Ditto! A fish store near me has over 100 assorted RFAs for $29.99 each. Crazy colors and all sizes! I love Miami!

if i can ever get mine to let go of his really annoying (and not visible) hole.... i'll send him your way.

anemones. they do what they want. grr...

HarryPotter

I was recently dating a guy who i met at a LFS. sad it didn't work out, it was actually really awesome. I don't have many other friends at all with tanks, haha. they would really come in handy!

Before that I forced my husband to kill my aptasia for me. He actually really enjoyed it and sometimes got a bit carried away. lol those were the days.

Harry,

I used live sand and live rock in my fluval edge. I also seeded it with live copepods and phyto (to feed said copepods) today.

Does that count?

Would i be nuts if i started stocking this weekend???

(Also, would I be wasting my time if I was looking for the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate spikes?)

Honestly like how could it not? What is a cycle? A bacteria build up- no? Well if you have it from LR and live sand, is it not the equivalent?

I honestly wait till the waters clear, and start to stock. I feel like it's a bit over-dramatized nowadays! I've never experienced a spike of any sorts- nor dosed ammonia.

I would say get a CUC in there and corals are fine (little biological effect). In terms of fish, a bit slower, but IMO no problem

Edit:

I'm not saying everyone can begin like this. Using dry rock and immediately stocking IS deadly since the detritus cannot be processed by the system. However mwhitelock, I'm pretty sure there won't be a difference between if you put in something now or in a week. The tank is live!

HarryPotter

well, i'll be following your thread and if yours crashes, i'll know mine will crash soon too! :P

Haha that's ominous! I feel guilty about killing aptasia too :(

I'm curious- are there any holes in my thinking? Was my "upgrade" not the exact same (in terms of bio. effect) as a water change?

Yes, I had a week of some brown on the sand (diatom) from the extra nutrients in the live sand. They're almost gone, less than a week later! Clams open fully, all parameters perfect, and it's LOW maintenance.

Cencalfishguy56

Haha that's ominous! I feel guilty about killing aptasia too :(

I'm curious- are there any holes in my thinking? Was my "upgrade" not the exact same (in terms of bio. effect) as a water change?

Yes, I had a week of some brown on the sand (diatom) from the extra nutrients in the live sand. They're almost gone, less than a week later! Clams open fully, all parameters perfect, and it's LOW maintenance.

I like your thinking! Nice to meet you Harry! Haha

Holy hell you change the title of this thread every 5 mins.

And you changed your profile picture which is just as evil lol jk.

Active member bro! Lol

There is new member then normal member then active member then really active member like Kat then there is Harry almost a thousand post in two weeks just wow so much free time you go Harry.

Archived