Coral Vue Hydros

Jtgrimes 20 to 110 Gallon Long Rimless Build

jtgrimes

Converted the 20 Gallon to a 110 July 4, 2019. But see below for 20 Gallon Long setup, and later for 110 Updates.  

spacer.png

See the 20 Gallon Long Rimless Build below. Feel free to follow along. I keep this thread up to date with new tank updates and equipment. Feel free to chime in, ask any questions, etc.

Got Wet, May 11, 2015. 

THE BUILD:

I finally decided to start my 20 gallon rimless build.

I started with a AIO 12 gallon reef. Which I moved all the below over to the new 20.

- Mp10W Vortech

- A360W Kessil with controller

-ATO

- Two Snowflake clowns (male and female) Yellow Watchman/Pistol Pair

-Various LPS and SPS

14285323457402-e1430619106622.jpg

Here I will keep updates on how things are going, purchases, DIY, etc. With the help of one of my closest friends, this tank has so far had great progress and been a very smooth build. So here we go...

We will start with a Marineland 20 gallon long tank I bought at petco during their $1 gallon sale - (forgot to take picture.

20-gallon-long-tank.jpg

Next we started by shaving the top rim until we could take it off and shave off all silicone left by the rim -

2015-04-19-e1430617273669.jpg

Next was the hardest part by far, drilling a 3/4" overflow and a 1/2" return.

DSC_0111-e1430617233712.jpg

After the holes were drilled :) now was taping the edges to silicone the custom glass pieces that were cut to create a euro-brace for some extra support.

DSC_0112-e1430617345781.jpg

Closer look at the edge, and a look at the clear(blue) bulkheads that will be used.

2015-04-25-e1430617384834.jpg

2015-04-30-e1430617443591.jpg

Now wait for the silicone to dry for a few days or so, before performing a water test. In the mean time, stand time!

• Like 5

The stand that will be used is actually a book case that I purchased. It had a backer on it that I used for the door in which I attached magnets too, to snap in place when not inside the stand. As for the back I purchased and had cut at lowes a piece of pegboard. I did this so inside the stand, i can hang stuff as well as keep everything nicely organized.

The Sump I created awhile back prior to getting the tank. The sump seen is a 10gallon with three baffles in place. Sump lighting is a out/in water led with white and actinic lighting. I also will be running a BRS gfo/carbon reactor.

I am still debating on what pump to get. Looking between a DC Jaebo or a eheim for the return. For a skimmer I plan to purchase the SCA-301. But still needing to get some more plumbing parts before ordering, so not in a rush.

2015-04-28-e1430617648398.jpg

Next I added some in stand lighting for when I need to clean inside the stand or work on changing stuff out etc.

2015-04-29-e1430618226812.jpg

Now that the silicone has dried, now clean up of all extra silicone that I can cut away and that would not be needed as well as a pre-test rinse.

2015-05-02-e1430618339564.jpg

Water Test.

2015-05-02-1-e1430618414637.jpg

Water test was a complete success with no leakage. After draining, and cleaning out any floating silicone that had been cut loose etc, tank is in place :)

2015-05-02-2-e1430618505865.jpg

Next on the list is to purchase clear bulkheads and finish all plumbing. Until next time, have a good one!

• Like 2

Following! I love 20g tanks. I didn't realize you could drill the sides on it.

Thanks! I know you can on the marineland's not sure on other brands. But I do suggest good hole saws, we also used a cordless drill and patients.

righttirefire

I drilled, had the work done, the back of my 20 long. Placement. I thought about drilling the sides but it wouldn't work in my situation. I'm following to see what your plans are and progression

• Like 1
VW_TDI_02

I've been thinking about doing something similar over the summer and was hoping to get a bit more information about how you did the euro bracing. From the looks of the pictures, you have the two long (front and back) strips going from end to end and are siliconed in on the three sides that the glass touches. I'm not so sure about the braces that go from the front to back. My guess is that the two side pieces are about 8" long and pinned between the other two pieces of bracing while at the same time sitting on top of the side panel. In order to get them in there, you glued the front and back braces on first and then let that set. From there, you used a clamped piece of wood to keep the side bracing flush with the front and back. I'm also assuming the wood was covered in painters tape in order to keep the silicone from sticking to the wood but correct me if I'm wrong. What I'm not sure about is how you siliconed in the edges between the two pieces of bracing. That is, the joint between the ends of the side braces and the front and back braces. Did you leave a small (1/16") gap to add the silicone?

• Like 1

You are correct. Adding the two longer pieces first and waited a day or so. Then for the two short ends, placing a cut piece of wood to hold the piece in place. Wrapped in tape. After clamping the wood in place, then siliconed directly on the ends and directly on the piece of wood/tape and then of course rubbed with my finger on top and on side to make sure it got in there good. Then pilled the tape on the sides off. The only tape that was left, was the tape on the wood. After another two days, took clamps, wood and tape out. The short ends are more for look, then it is support wise unlike the two long sides. Looking like the below(disregard the red, its my shirt):

2015-05-03-e1430662828933.jpg

I've been thinking about doing something similar over the summer and was hoping to get a bit more information about how you did the euro bracing. From the looks of the pictures, you have the two long (front and back) strips going from end to end and are siliconed in on the three sides that the glass touches. I'm not so sure about the braces that go from the front to back. My guess is that the two side pieces are about 8" long and pinned between the other two pieces of bracing while at the same time sitting on top of the side panel. In order to get them in there, you glued the front and back braces on first and then let that set. From there, you used a clamped piece of wood to keep the side bracing flush with the front and back. I'm also assuming the wood was covered in painters tape in order to keep the silicone from sticking to the wood but correct me if I'm wrong. What I'm not sure about is how you siliconed in the edges between the two pieces of bracing. That is, the joint between the ends of the side braces and the front and back braces. Did you leave a small (1/16") gap to add the silicone?

• Like 2
VW_TDI_02

Thanks! I've been tempted to get a custom tank but they are just so expensive and for a tank the size of a 20-40 gallon they want upwards of $400 which is way too much for me. Another project added to the list for the summer...

• Like 1
VW_TDI_02

One other question, how well does that Kessil do over the 20 long? I thought about maybe picking one up but I as worried about the footprint and having shadows on the ends.

FlowerMama

I have the Kessil A350W light hanging over on my 34 and it's as long as a 20. I have it 7" from the bottom of the light to the aquarium top. No light spillage over the sides, nor dark spots. I just had to move my wellso from under the monti on the right to the left back under the overflow as it was either getting too much light or circulation or a combo of both and was receeding.

20150503_171452_zpskesqs5h3.jpg

• Like 4

So update on the tank. Yesterday I got in my return pump and finished all plumbing except for loc line etc im waiting on from BRS, will be here on friday, along with my sand, gfo, etc. I am planning on setting up this Saturday. Still waiting on my skimmer to come in, but will not be here till Tuesday of next week, so the tracking said.

Return Pump - Jaebo DC-3000

2015-05-05-e1430916559119.jpg

Pump and plumbing

2015-05-05-1-e1430916602185.jpg

Plumbing on side -

2015-05-05-2-e1430916639825.jpg

2015-05-06.jpg

Will update again this weekend if not, Happy Mothers Day to all the Nano-Reef Moms!

• Like 2

Update on the 20. Got in the loc line and sand etc from BRS last night. Got the itch and setup the tank. Pictures will be coming soon, and I will continue to post on changes, growth, etc.

But look what came in today!

ajezegam.jpg

Good Morning and Happy Mothers Day to all the moms! Past few days I have spent setting up the 20, getting supplies, making adjustments but as promised here she is!! I will continue to update progress of this tank, coral growth, etc here.

IMG_2642.jpg

IMG_2649.jpg

• Like 6

Looks awesome. I have a 20L as well and I am pretty jealous now. Definitely going to incorporate some of your design into my tank. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Thanks yall! Its been alot of fun. Very excited and pleased with the outcome. Can't wait to continue adding coral and probably just one more fish.

Definitely so far! This little pump can move some water.

Tank looks great! Following along. How are you liking the jebao return pump?

HarryPotter

Really nice! I hope you have room to store the backup away from the tank. If water leakage causes electrical issues and trips a circuit, you want the MP10 to go on even if the battery circuit is dead.

• Like 1

Really nice! I hope you have room to store the backup away from the tank. If water leakage causes electrical issues and trips a circuit, you want the MP10 to go on even if the battery circuit is dead.

All electric is up high and away from all water just in case of a leakage. Hoping this will never happen, but if it does ill be ready and prepared.