Cultivated Reef

Help: Feather Duster (pulled off the Skin)

thebeardedclam

thebeardedclam

Help: Feather Duster(pulled off the Skin)

I bought a Feather duster today & placed it in my tank on some rock.... few hours later I wanted to relocate it to a different part of the tank, but unknowingly it had lodged/attatched itself to some live rock, & in doing so I pulled off the skin the feather duster hides in.

Is this bad news for the duster??

It's not good. He's capable of reproducing his tube, but it takes a while. In the meantime, he is vulnerable to scavengers in the tank. I did the same thing to one of mine recently. He crawled around the tank looking for a place to hide, and found an empty hermit home (snail shell) and moved into that. It was quite a site to see a tubeworm pretending to be a hermit! The only problem was that there was still a cm exposed that wouldn't fit into the shell. This must have looked like an easy lunch, because a little later I noticed my nassarius snail, a hermit crab, AND my skunk cleaner shrimp all attacking him at once like it was a giant feeding frenzy. I quickly shoo'd them all away and saved the duster. I had to isolate him in a breeder box for several weeks while he recreated enough tube to cover his body.

I had a FD come out of its skin in the bag coming home from LFS. I tried too put it back in[slowly]

it when back in but it came back out within half an hour.

I stuck it in the sand and within 2-3 days it had i new protecting shoot.

they will grow it back, just try too protect it

thebeardedclam

UPDATE(5-day): well its still alive, I guess it's stressin thou cuz it shed it's crown(feathers) off... its hid itself under some rocks in a dark area, but I havent seen any hermits/snails bother it. Is it safe to touch? I may try and Stuff it back in the old skin

Archived